In need of direction...

Hi. I posted a question a week ago and received neither comment nor reply. I'm new to the forum and I suspect I probably posted in the incorrect location. I would appreciate if someone would direct me. My original post is below:

I'm using Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.50.1.1100 on Win Vista Home Premium. Usually, when I perform a full scan, the program scans over 400,000 files in about 2.5 hours. Now when I select full scan I'm getting a quick scan- about 100,000 files scanned in roughly two minutes. This peculiar behavior only started about a week ago.

Does anyone have an idea why I am no longer able to get a full scan?

Thanks.

silas

Greetings,

My apologies that you never received a reply in your original topic. I'll do my best to assist you now.

As long as the same number of drives are selected and nothing new has been added to the Ignore List tab in Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, then the number of objects scanned shouldn't vary too much, unless perhaps you used something like a temp file cleaner (CCleaner, ATF Cleaner etc.) or simply deleted temp files through Windows itself or removed many files from your PC (even emptying the Recycle Bin will reduce the number of objects scanned).

Also, if the computer has not been rebooted since the last scan, the increased speed is quite normal thanks to disk caching. For example, here's the results from two of my scan logs, the first is the first Quick Scan I've run since booting my PC, the second I ran right after that:

1/2/2011 11:21:16 PM

mbam-log-2011-01-02 (23-21-16).txt

Scan type: Quick scan

Objects scanned: 150520

Time elapsed: 1 minute(s), 13 second(s)

1/2/2011 11:22:01 PM

mbam-log-2011-01-02 (23-22-01).txt

Scan type: Quick scan

Objects scanned: 150551

Time elapsed: 36 second(s)

As you can see, the scan time is reduced dramatically, even though more objects were scanned (the new objects were likely temp files since I'm online right now).

• 3 weeks later...