McAfee or WOT

Comprev

I'll be checking it out soon. Thanks remixed for the link. :)

I'm confused though, was thinking that another tech forum I belong to didn't recommend PC Tools. I could very well be wrong. I need to step back and regroup :);)

i use norton save web works pretty good...

I tried, it isn't compatible with Firefox 3.6.13. I have IE 8 but I do not use it. hmm

I don't use Firefox but I do use IE8 and I do not know why Finjan has not updated for the latest Firefox.

Whatever security browser extension you choose is a matter of preference but I do know that Finjan Secure Browsing works well on both IE8 and IE9.

For some reason I have an aversion to anything from Norton(Symantec).

Been awhile since I've checked this thread. I'm not the OP but I want to thank everyone for all your recommendations. You all have been very helpful. Thanks again :blink:

• 3 weeks later...
Guest garybear

I don't research or test, so I use WOT to guide me away from potential danger. I haven't found any place with a red circle that I can't live without. I have heard that someone with a grudge can ruin a sites reputation, but as yet I haven't seen any one list a site where that has happened.

WOT works for me. If it's good enough for screen 317, It's good enough for me :D

When someone first hears about the concept behind WOT, their first objection is that someone could easily spam the system with tons of ratings and rate down their competitors or otherwise manipulate reputations, but that's not true. In order to keep ratings more reliable, the system tracks each user's rating behavior before deciding how much it trusts the user. WOT applies sophisticated algorithms to detect and eliminate any manipulation of reputation.

WOT idea is a bit stupid, as everyone could rate sites - and that means, even good sites can be rated with RED.

SiteAdvisor is very bad maintained, just like other McAfee products.

Dr.Web Linkchecker is too slow and can do scan on links only if the user manually wants to check it with the context menu option.

If AVG SafeWeb is that integrated in Opera - wont have much trust in it.

Norton SafeWeb is well updated and maintained, and thats probably the best choice - however it may slow your browser seriously, looking at the S&R.

HOST immunization isnt bad idea, but when I was using SpyBot, didnt find it very useful. Not to mention, the updates are only weekly, and thats too long period. Personally, I wont recommend it.

Havent tried any of these DNS servers, but doubt they really protect you. Not to mention, most of them dont have Proceed anyway option.

Google service integrated in Chrome isnt bad to be honest.

Trend Micro Browser Addon seems to be the same as Norton SafeWeb.

Norton SafeWeb is well updated and maintained, and thats probably the best choice - however it may slow your browser seriously, looking at the S&R.

For about 2-3 months now I actively use Chrome on my comps but previously I was fan of IE and I used Norton's Safe Web (either SafeWeb Lite or the one integrated in NIS) . I never had slow down issues with any site although I though I might have some at first .

Can I ask you all about WOT , because I have never used it : I have seen people complain over various forums that if someone in the community marks a safe as bad , even though it may be good , all people see the red warning . But can this WOT warning be bypassed , for e.g. like in the browsers - even though WOT says a site if unsafe , the user chooses to continue - is that possible ? I am just curious .

Currently for myself I don't think I need link checker like SafeWeb , WOT , SiteAdvisor because Chrome's own blocking is really good , as well as MBAM that blocks site .

Guest garybear
For about 2-3 months now I actively use Chrome on my comps but previously I was fan of IE and I used Norton's Safe Web (either SafeWeb Lite or the one integrated in NIS) . I never had slow down issues with any site although I though I might have some at first .

Can I ask you all about WOT , because I have never used it : I have seen people complain over various forums that if someone in the community marks a safe as bad , even though it may be good , all people see the red warning . But can this WOT warning be bypassed , for e.g. like in the browsers - even though WOT says a site if unsafe , the user chooses to continue - is that possible ? I am just curious .

Currently for myself I don't think I need link checker like SafeWeb , WOT , SiteAdvisor because Chrome's own blocking is really good , as well as MBAM that blocks site .

Hello friend!! Yes you can bypass the WOT warning. I hear this all the time; people can rate a good site as a bad site, but I would like for someone to give me a example where that has happened because I would like to report it to WOT. Put up or shut up. If WOT has given you a red warning, you deserve it. Has WOT made mistakes?? I can't say positively no they haven't, but don't just make a statement and not back it up. Show me!!!

Guest garybear
dechica.com

Small Bulgarian site with flash games - marked as phishing.

100% safe however.

Hello friend!!

It looks like two people rated that site. One person liked it and one person didn't. You proved your point. Phishing however. seems to me to be a very serious and dangerous. I don't know if dechica.com is guilty. I'll take your word that it's 100% safe

LetMeKnow.co.uk: This means when someone tries to trick you into giving information which is private. People ask for your address. This is called " A Phishing Scam". They often start through E-mails and online Conversations on programmers where you can date and of course, Windows messenger. Phishing Scams can be very dangerous and you mustn't respond when they ask for information and give you their address in sending them personal belongings.

Hello friend!!

It looks like two people rated that site. One person liked it and one person didn't. You proved your point. Phishing however. seems to me to be a very serious and dangerous. I don't know if dechica.com is guilty. I'll take your word that it's 100% safe

LetMeKnow.co.uk: This means when someone tries to trick you into giving information which is private. People ask for your address. This is called " A Phishing Scam". They often start through E-mails and online Conversations on programmers where you can date and of course, Windows messenger. Phishing Scams can be very dangerous and you mustn't respond when they ask for information and give you their address in sending them personal belongings.

No personal information is required or wanted at this site => nor email

Greetings from Bulgaria!