McAfee or WOT

Comprev

Neither.

I have used both and found that McAfee SiteAdvisor is not well maintained and even rates sites with known malware as safe.

WOT is driven by user biases and knowledge.

I prefer Finjan SecureBrowsing from M86 Security Labs

http://www.m86security.com/labs

Neither.

I have used both and found that McAfee SiteAdvisor is not well maintained and even rates sites with known malware as safe.

WOT is driven by user biases and knowledge.

I prefer Finjan SecureBrowsing from M86 Security Labs

http://www.m86security.com/labs

ScreenHunter_05Jan020936.gif

No longer compatible with Firefox since M86Labs took over; only good on MSIExplorer..

Just an FYI,

~Shy

I had checked out Fingan in Dec and it doesn't support Windows 7, if I remember right. :welcome:

So using WOT would be good idea, even if I'm NIS, which comes with Safe Web?

I think McAfee Site advisor is better than Mywot,because some MyWot ratings can be incorrect,basically on MyWot the user decides if a site is safe or not :welcome:

I thought they were all community based.

I had checked out Fingan in Dec and it doesn't support Windows 7, if I remember right. :welcome:

So using WOT would be good idea, even if I'm NIS, which comes with Safe Web?

I have been happy with Norton Safe Web. WOT has caused problems with many websites due to someone with a grudge recruiting friends to give websites a bad rating. i would only use it if i had no other choice and was semi desperate.

I also occasionally use "unmaskparasites" to check a website.

I have been happy with Norton Safe Web. WOT has caused problems with many websites due to someone with a grudge recruiting friends to give websites a bad rating. i would only use it if i had no other choice and was semi desperate.

I also occasionally use "unmaskparasites" to check a website.

I've been happy with Safe Web too. I just wanted another layer of protection. Reason for wanting Fingan but no go.

I agree nether is better. Used WOT for a long time, but the ratings didn't seem overly correct. Often was rated good even though most ratings for a site were bad. McAfee is no better. I was over at helpmyos which had an ad problem (now fixed) which hosted malware links that had McAfee logos present. You're best off looking at PhishTank or something similar for safety ratings. :welcome: Something that test in real-time or are based on facts are much better.:)

I'll be checking it out soon. Thanks remixed for the link. :angry:

I'm confused though, was thinking that another tech forum I belong to didn't recommend PC Tools. I could very well be wrong. I need to step back and regroup :welcome::)

It sure supports Windows 7 with IE9.

I have not tried Browser Defender but I'll give it a try.

Added:

It really slowed down my IE8 on my XP Pro system so I removed it.

Edited by YoKenny1

It sure supports Windows 7 with IE9.

I have not tried Browser Defender but I'll give it a try.

Added:

It really slowed down my IE8 on my XP Pro system so I removed it.

This is what I had found in FAQ on their site , Fingan.

Q: How do I know if my browser and operating system are supported by Finjan SecureBrowsing?

A: Finjan SecureBrowsing supports the following:

Operating System

* Microsoft Windows XP Home (Service Pack 2)

* Windows 2000 (Service Pack 4)

* Windows Vista

Web Browser

* Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.0 or 7.0

* Mozilla Firefox 1.5 and above

Wonder why they haven't revised for OS?

I tried, it isn't compatible with Firefox 3.6.13. I have IE 8 but I do not use it. hmm