MBAM Protection module active and Windows Defender

I am a paid user of MBAM. Is there any advantage (or problem) to having windows defender active while MBAM protection module is active?

I really don't want any more things running in the background than I really need.

Currently I have:

Windows Defender (real time protection active)

Antivir Personal free edition installed (for antivirus).

Spybot S&D with resident IE and teatimer active (to monitor reg changes)

MBAM (Paid) with protection module enabled.

ZoneAlarm (free) firewall. Windows firewall is disabled.

That's it. Any potential problems? Have had no conflicts so far. I guess what I'm really asking is do I need Win Defender running at all?

Rob K.

I am a paid user of MBAM. Is there any advantage (or problem) to having windows defender active while MBAM protection module is active?

I really don't want any more things running in the background than I really need.

Currently I have:

Windows Defender (real time protection active)

Antivir Personal free edition installed (for antivirus).

Spybot S&D with resident IE and teatimer active (to monitor reg changes)

MBAM (Paid) with protection module enabled.

ZoneAlarm (free) firewall. Windows firewall is disabled.

That's it. Any potential problems? Have had no conflicts so far. I guess what I'm really asking is do I need Win Defender running at all?

Rob K.

If you don't know how to use TeaTimer it can be a real pain and hard to know what to allow and what not. Allowing and or blocking the wrong things can be very bad too.

in response to the question of using MBAM resident in combination with Windows Defender,

Hardhead replied that there was no conflict, and indeed runs both;

and JeanInMontanna seemed to offer no objection either.

However, I made the same inquiry several months back, and received a contradictory response from Nosirrah (Bruce) here:

http://www.malwarebytes.org/forums/index.p...art=#entry12699

"MBAM is more like Defender and they should not be used together if both are in protection mode . This is just like having two antivirus applications installed at the same time , conflicts can happen."

My question: Has something changed? For example, is the new protection module (implemented with version 1.29) now considered "Defender compatible"? Or does Bruce still stand by his view? [which, for the record, I highly respect --- I do not mean for this question to challenge his authority, rather, only to see if perhaps the circumstances have changed over time.]

Here is the deal .

It is the security expert standard reply to this question that you sould use only one AM/AS and only one AV if they are in active protection mode , passive scanners can be stacked up as much as you want .

It is also true that MBAM does not conflict with much of anything so if you break the rule there likely wont be an issue (when it comes to MBAM at least) .

The long and short ? You can do either and you will be fine from a conflict point of view so do what you feel is best .