no sound when using internet browser(s)

runner

HI all,

Wondering if I could get a little help restoring the sound to my computer when I use internet browsers (IE Explorer, Firefox, Google Chrome). For instance, I have no sound when I visit youtube. However, when I play an mp3 file, the sound is working fine, so it's not a driver problem. I've worked on solving this problem for 3 days. All of the computer settings (control panel, etc-and settings in the browsers) are fine. I've run malwarebytes, McAfee Antivirus, and some other programs that I have not idea what they were for e.g. K-Lite codec Pack (full), and some registry repair software downloaded from CNET (CCleaner +Advanced Registry Optimizer). I've also tried to use 'system restore'. To some degree, that has been unsuccessful in that it would not set reset the date, even using reset in safe-mode. However, it did work for a date about a month ago, but no luck. I've unistalled Adobe Flash Player and reinstalled it. Same with Quicktime.

Any suggestions?

THANKS!

Guest name cool

The same issue happened to me. :)

Try the following:

There is a few things that you can do to get rid of the problem, though this list may not be complete:

1. If you are using Windows Vista, go to volume mixer, it is in the notification icons area (bottom right of the taskbar), click the volume once and click the mixer blue text link. Turn the main volume high. If the volume control is available for the browsers in the volume mixer, turn the firefox & internet explorer volume high and not mute.

2. You may need to double check that your adobe flash player is probably installed. If you have just installed the flash player, you may need to restart the computer once to get the flash player completely installed. Currently, you can just go to http://www.adobe.com/ , and see the flash on the adobe website frontpage plays properly.

3. As someone has said, install the latest CCC codec pack. This codec pack can be found at http://www.cccp-project.net/

4. It is can be rare that your Internet connection is too slow so that the clips on youtube are not played properly.

Final thought, I have installed xp and vista many times, . I don't need any extra installation of codec pack to play youtube videos in xp or vista. It is very strange that it happens to you.

It is likely that there was an improper flash player install. During the installation of flash player, you may have disallowed some registry value changes (if you are using spyware detectors such as windows defender, spybot tea timer). Disable these spyware detectors and reinstall flash player can solve the problem if this is the case.

The same issue happened to me. :)

Try the following:

There is a few things that you can do to get rid of the problem, though this list may not be complete:

1. If you are using Windows Vista, go to volume mixer, it is in the notification icons area (bottom right of the taskbar), click the volume once and click the mixer blue text link. Turn the main volume high. If the volume control is available for the browsers in the volume mixer, turn the firefox & internet explorer volume high and not mute.

2. You may need to double check that your adobe flash player is probably installed. If you have just installed the flash player, you may need to restart the computer once to get the flash player completely installed. Currently, you can just go to http://www.adobe.com/ , and see the flash on the adobe website frontpage plays properly.

3. As someone has said, install the latest CCC codec pack. This codec pack can be found at http://www.cccp-project.net/

4. It is can be rare that your Internet connection is too slow so that the clips on youtube are not played properly.

Final thought, I have installed xp and vista many times, . I don't need any extra installation of codec pack to play youtube videos in xp or vista. It is very strange that it happens to you.

It is likely that there was an improper flash player install. During the installation of flash player, you may have disallowed some registry value changes (if you are using spyware detectors such as windows defender, spybot tea timer). Disable these spyware detectors and reinstall flash player can solve the problem if this is the case.

Name Cool,

THANK YOU for your response. As you suggested, I

1) have Windows XP--settings were ok (nothing was muted and all sound levels are at max)

2) uninstalled Flash, restarted the computer, manually downloaded Flash, restarted the computer - the 'Flash' on the Adobe site had movement, but no sound (not sure if sound is normal)

3) downloaded the CCC codec pack and followed the instructions.

4) Internet speed is fine...sound has worked fine for years; just lost sound around the 25th of Dec.

End result...still NO SOUND using Firefox, IE Explorer, Chrome: Windows Media Player is working fine and playing mp3s....

Guest name cool

[EDIT] Post content removed - if your system is infected please seek assistance in the HJT forum [/EDIT]

Please print out, read and follow the directions here, skipping any steps you are unable to complete. Then post a NEW topic here.

One of the expert helpers there will give you one-on-one assistance when one becomes available.

After posting your new post make sure under options that you select Track this topic and choose one of the Email options so that you're alerted when someon has replied to your post.

Alternatively, as a paying customer, you can contact the help desk at support@malwarebytes.org

name cool,

Again, THANK YOU for following up with another suggestion. I was not quite as clear on what exactly you were instructing me to do. I did click on the file link at the bottom of the page and the file 'fixnoflashsound.reg' was added to my registry. I then shut down and restarted the computer - still, NO SOUND when on the internet (I still have sound when playing mp3s). However, I was not quite grasping what you wanted me to do with the files you listed under: [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Drivers32] Am I supposed to copy everything listed under HKEY..... and then paste this somewhere in the registry? If so, would you please remind me how to find the HKEY.../Drivers32 directory. I believe I click on 'start' 'run' and then type 'REGEDIT' and go from there??? Or not?

Again, thank you for your assistance!

name cool,

After I replied to your last post, I reread it and realized that I needed to 'execute' the file that you suggested I download: 'fixnoflashsound.reg'. And so I did, and then shut down the computer and restarted. Unfortunately, still NO SOUND on the internet......

Guest name cool

You're welcome.

Got me this problem before and I used this file. It was the return of the sound.

Problem is in the video sites? right? Sound does not work when you visit video sites?

This is a (key's Register) and the will to repair registry entries. and then will come back sound.

Double-click the key and run it.

Try again. This is a link to help you more. My Digital Life :)

M' Anti-M Free use. XP SP 3

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

name cool,

Thanks again! And yes, the problem is no sound with internet video sites, e.g., youtube. As you suggested, I reran the fixnoflashsound.reg file. I also visited the my digital life link that you provided, and, after reading some of it, determined that I have te msacm32.drv file. Still....NO SOUND on Youtube...... oh well.......

Is the sound icon is still present in the startup.?

name cool,

Sorry, but I'm not following you. 'sound icon still present in the startup'....refers to ?????? I can tell you that there is no sound when I shut down. Nor is there any sound when I start up.

Thanks!

Guest name cool
name cool,

Sorry, but I'm not following you. 'sound icon still present in the startup'....refers to ?????? I can tell you that there is no sound when I shut down. Nor is there any sound when I start up.

Thanks!

Exactly the same for me.

Make sure the correct time. And save the file on the desktop, double-click the Registry key 'then choose "Run"and will be added to the registry. just like my case, after it was fix it.

Also, make sure of the computer definitions of and updated. :)

Thought I'd start off the New Year by running a free registry cleaner by ALM amltools Even though it claims to have 'fixed' 450 errors, still NO SOUND in 2011!!! And maybe that's ok! Going 'retro': back to a time that when 'less was more'! So Happy New Year to all!!!! And thanks to all that have offered their time and expertise to solve this problem for me. Sure gonna miss listening to the music from Pandora

• Root Admin

@runner

Please follow the directions below first to verify the system is not infected and then return back here if the system is clean.

Please print out, read and follow the directions here, skipping any steps you are unable to complete. Then post a NEW topic here.

One of the expert helpers there will give you one-on-one assistance when one becomes available.

After posting your new post make sure under options that you select Track this topic and choose one of the Email options so that you're alerted when someon has replied to your post.

Alternatively, as a paying customer, you can contact the help desk at support@malwarebytes.org