Update to latest version automatically

I have two computers both running Malwarebytes Pro. It occurred to me that while both copies of Malwarebytes happily update their definitions automatically they never seem to update to a new version of the programme automatically. The only time I have seen Malwarebytes update to a new programme version is when I have opened the programme. Then I get a window telling me that the latest version has been downloaded and that now Malwarebytes will close and install the new version.

In normal use, once you have set up your update and scan schedules, if you don't become infected by malware most people would have no reason to ever open the programme. In which case Malwarebytes would never update to the new version.

By way of a test, when version 1.50.1.1100 was released I opened Malwarebytes on one of my computers and when I got the window asking if I wanted to update to the latest version I clicked OK. On the other I have left it alone and not opened it (for several days now) and while the tooltip shows that it is updating the definitions it still shows that it is version 1.50 and has not updated to 1.50.1.1100, even though the computer has been restarted several times.

As someone who works in on-site computer support I know that many (if not most) users never touch any programmes on their computers other than the ones that they use regularly such as e-mail, word processor etc. As long as there are no problems security software tends to be ignored. So as Malwarebytes doesn't seem to automatically update itself to newer versions unless it is opened it is likely that many people will still be using older versions.

I think I've got this right. Can anyone else confirm this?

Hello, Grumpy:

Major (and sometimes minor) VERSION updates -- as opposed to database updates -- of many (most?) software programs require at least a shutdown of the program in question if it is running (at the least) and/or a reboot (often).

Security programs (especially if they are running in real-time) would hardly seem to be an exception.

I'm NOT a computer geek or programmer (just a home user), but it's my understanding that some program files cannot be updated while they are in use.

And when the update affects the registry entries, this often requires a system reboot, for the same reason.

MBAM hardly seems to be an exception in that regard, especially as far as security programs are concerned.

The need to restart the program and/or reboot seems to be pretty much the norm for every major security suite and standalone security app I've ever used.

Moreover, a simple program restart hardly seems to be that challenging, even for a relatively non-tech-savvy user, such as myself.

I'm sure one of the mods or experts or more technically-inclined folks will be able to provide a more satisfying, technical answer.

EDIT: Oh, and I am pretty sure one has to be logged in with ADMIN privileges to update the PROGRAM - perhaps that's why your 2nd machine is not taking the version update? Are you logged in with just a user account? See here: http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showtopic=71013

Anyway, we'll see what the experts say, :)

daledoc1

I can confirm this as well. I have had several computers come in that I have installed MBAM pro on an they do not auto update to the new version. These have been infected because of this I believe because after the update and install of the new version fixes them that if it was updated it would not been infected.

• Root Admin

Sometimes a program update does not always go as well as planned but in most cases it does work just fine so those that don't really should be the rare case. Often we find that a user's Anti-Virus and/or Firewall can interfere with an update as well. We've often seen where the AV has blocked one of the temporary files required by the installer during the reboot which then breaks the upgrade. There really isn't too much we can do about that as the file is random and from InnoSetup so nothing special there but the AV heuristics panics and blocks it which in turn can break the upgrade. Obviously there are other potential issues that might prevent or break the update. When the program is installed you need to ensure that your AV has file and folder exclusions setup properly. AVG 2011 was very difficult to get working with the program until just recently as well.

Scheduled updates and Scans should be setup using the internal scheduler so that the process is completed by the system account and can function correctly even with a limited user account logged on once it's been setup using an Admin account. One caveat though is that with everything setup to be fully automated and silent the program itself cannot be upgraded because it needs to interact with the user to ask if it's okay to reboot. So what happens is the program downloads and basically sits there and waits until some user with Admin rights runs the scanner GUI and then it says it needs to update and reboot the computer. We're working on some alternatives but currently that is something that cannot be monitored when setup to operate fully silent.

The program won't update when in silent but the rules should still continue to be updated and you can confirm this by looking at the protection logs.

I hope this helps to answer the question for everyone.

One caveat though is that with everything setup to be fully automated and silent the program itself cannot be upgraded because it needs to interact with the user to ask if it's okay to reboot. So what happens is the program downloads and basically sits there and waits until some user with Admin rights runs the scanner GUI and then it says it needs to update and reboot the computer

That makes sense : this is the behaviour I see.

Thanks for the explanation AdvancedSetup.

For you as a home user maybe but for some of our customers with 15,000+ desktops each popup can generate a call to their help desk and cause them extra support costs. We're still investigating alternative methods - thank you.

Fair enough! Thanks for your quick reply.