error code 5

I have installed this software on a lot of computers that were really in bad shape with malware and not had any problems. I cant get it on my own pc without getting this error message and my pc has never been infected with anything

This error happens only when i install and no errors while using the program unlocked

Error creating registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\

CurrentVersion\RunOnce

RegCreateKeyEx failed; code 5

Access is denied

Click Retry to try again,Ignore to proceed anyway,or Abort to cancel

installation

i have vista home premiun sp2 and norton 360 and if i use retry nothing happens , if i use ignore i can install and unlock and it works fine.

Every time there is a software update this happens and i was not able to solve this with the help desk

Thanks for any help

Jim

Greetings Jim,

Please do the following Note: I realize that you are likely a technically proficient user who does not necessarily require such simplified/expressive instructions, however, since this is a public part of the board seen by many users, I want to make certain they are clear enough that anyone who finds this thread while searching for a solution to the same problem is able to understand the procedure without risking damage to their system.

Backup the Registry:

Modifying the Registry can create unforeseen problems, so it always wise to create a backup before doing so.

Note: If using Windows Vista or Windows 7 you will need to read the FAQ for additional precautions and instructions on proper use.

• Please download ERUNT from here
  • ERUNT (Emergency Recovery Utility NT) is a free program that allows you to keep a complete backup of your registry and restore it when needed.
  • Double click on erunt-setup.exe to Install ERUNT by following the prompts.
  • Use the default install settings but say NO to the portion that asks you to add ERUNT to the Start-Up folder. You can enable this option later if you wish.
  • Start ERUNT either by double clicking on the desktop icon or choosing to start the program at the end of the setup process.
  • Choose a location for the backup.
    • Note: the default location is C:\Windows\ERDNT which is acceptable.

[*]Make sure that at least the first two check boxes are selected.

[*]Click on OK

[*]Then click on YES to create the folder.

Note: if it is necessary to restore the registry, open the backup folder and start ERDNT.exe

Once you have created a backup, please proceed with the following:

Change Permissions on a Registry Key using Regedit:

• Click the START vista-7-start.png button
  • Type regedit and press Enter on your keyboard
  • Click Continue at the User Account Control prompt
  • Expand the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE key by clicking the small arrow next to its folder on the left side
  • Expand the SOFTWARE key in the same way
  • Do the same for Microsoft then Windows then CurrentVersion
  • Under CurrentVersion, find the RunOnce (see image below):
    post-2103-1293610211_thumb.png
  • Right-click on it and choose Permissions
  • In the box that opens, click once on Administrators under Group or user names:
  • Check the box under Allow next to Full Control
  • Click Apply then click OK

Please let me know if the issue is now resolved or not.

Thanks.

Thank you very much for your help , the problem is fixed ! Your instructions were very clear and now the program is installed without any errors . I deleted malwarebytes rebooted then ran the temp file cleaner I got from the help desk and I also ran the clean up tool to make sure the uninstall removed all of malwarebytes. I disabled norton 360 and I just saved my registry to a usb drive and made the changes you suggested.

I am very happy with malwarebytes ! I have it regestered on a bunch of friends PC's and and it sure helps a lot to keep them up and running

Thanks again

Jim

Greetings Jim,

Please do the following Note: I realize that you are likely a technically proficient user who does not necessarily require such simplified/expressive instructions, however, since this is a public part of the board seen by many users, I want to make certain they are clear enough that anyone who finds this thread while searching for a solution to the same problem is able to understand the procedure without risking damage to their system.

Backup the Registry:

Modifying the Registry can create unforeseen problems, so it always wise to create a backup before doing so.

Note: If using Windows Vista or Windows 7 you will need to read the FAQ for additional precautions and instructions on proper use.

• Please download ERUNT from here
  • ERUNT (Emergency Recovery Utility NT) is a free program that allows you to keep a complete backup of your registry and restore it when needed.
  • Double click on erunt-setup.exe to Install ERUNT by following the prompts.
  • Use the default install settings but say NO to the portion that asks you to add ERUNT to the Start-Up folder. You can enable this option later if you wish.
  • Start ERUNT either by double clicking on the desktop icon or choosing to start the program at the end of the setup process.
  • Choose a location for the backup.
    • Note: the default location is C:\Windows\ERDNT which is acceptable.

[*]Make sure that at least the first two check boxes are selected.

[*]Click on OK

[*]Then click on YES to create the folder.

Note: if it is necessary to restore the registry, open the backup folder and start ERDNT.exe

Once you have created a backup, please proceed with the following:

Change Permissions on a Registry Key using Regedit:

• Click the START vista-7-start.png button
  • Type regedit and press Enter on your keyboard
  • Click Continue at the User Account Control prompt
  • Expand the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE key by clicking the small arrow next to its folder on the left side
  • Expand the SOFTWARE key in the same way
  • Do the same for Microsoft then Windows then CurrentVersion
  • Under CurrentVersion, find the RunOnce (see image below):
    post-2103-1293610211_thumb.png
  • Right-click on it and choose Permissions
  • In the box that opens, click once on Administrators under Group or user names:
  • Check the box under Allow next to Full Control
  • Click Apply then click OK

Please let me know if the issue is now resolved or not.

Thanks.