Database updating error

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Staff

Hello and welcome.

This issue is commonly fixed by one of two things:

1- Adding the following url to any type webfilter, ad blocking, identity theft protection, 'trusted sites'(in the security software, not in IE) options or similar to your firewall

data-cdn.mbamupdates.com

2- Adding the following Malwarebytes files listed in the link below to your currently installed antivirus\antispyware software exclusion lists or white listing options. (Section H-ignore AVG if you don't use it)

http://www.malwarebytes.org/forums/index.p...st&p=167851

I followed the steps given in the URL (section-E) as i installed mcafee total protection antivirus.

But I still get the same message and unable to update the database.

Also tried re-installing MBAM and doesnt seem to solve the issue.

please help me out on this...

thanks.

Hello and welcome.

This issue is commonly fixed by one of two things:

1- Adding the following url to any type webfilter, ad blocking, identity theft protection, 'trusted sites'(in the security software, not in IE) options or similar to your firewall

data-cdn.mbamupdates.com

2- Adding the following Malwarebytes files listed in the link below to your currently installed antivirus\antispyware software exclusion lists or white listing options. (Section H-ignore AVG if you don't use it)

http://www.malwarebytes.org/forums/index.p...st&p=167851

• Staff

Please download and run the traceroute utility

http://tools.malwarebytes.org/traceroute_m...rebytes_cdn.exe.

It will run a traceroute to our update servers to see if it can find the connection issue, and then it will write it to a log, and open that log in Notepad when it is done. Please save the log as a Text File and then attach it to a reply.

Also, please use the Add Reply button, rather than the Reply button. The Reply button quotes the previous post. Thanks.

• Staff

Please try the update in Safe Mode with Networking.

Restart your computer and boot into Safe Mode by tapping the F8 key repeatedly until a menu shows up (and choose Safe Mode with Networking from the list). In some systems, this may be the F5 key, so try that if F8 doesn't work. Login on your usual account.

Launch Malwarebytes, and try to update.

Restarted in Safe mode with networking. Uninstalled MBAM, restared system, ran mbam-clean.exe, restarted system, installed MBAM from the link in purchased email.

MBAM Current Database information:

Date: 12/20/2010

Database version: 5363

Fingerprints loaded: 294456

Version: 1.50.1.1100

Still having the same issue. Please suggest.

I tried but in vain. same error repeats. contacted mcafee to know the version. they asked me to reinstall the software. so I'm going to uninstall & reinstall mcafee. the version that i'm currently having is mcafee total protection 2010. they said soon they are going to release the 2011 version and my mcafee software will be automatically updated.

will try to update the database once i uninstall the mcafee. and let you know the result.

Thanks.

• 1 month later...
  • Staff

Hello,

That was just the code from the tool. I edited it out. Likely why the file would not attach is you were trying to attach the .scr file, not the logs from the tool.

Use this version, please.

Download DDS and save it to your desktop from here:

http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/sUBs/dds.com

Disable any script blocker, and then double click dds.scr (or .com depending on which you

• 3 weeks later...
  • Staff

I've been trying to reply as soon after you do, as I can.

I'm reasonably sure this is an issue with your McAfee protection. Would you be willing to uninstall temporarily to help confirm if this is the issue?

For now....

Let's try this

Right click on your McAfee icon. Highlight Change Settings > click Firewall. In the next screen, click Connections.

Click the Add button

Leave the tick in Single. Paste in this IP Address

Click Save.

Repeat for this IP Address

Now, up higher in the Firewall settings screen, click on Program Permissions

Look for Malwarebytes Anti-Malware in that screen. Click once to highlight, then click Edit. Ensure access level is set to Full.

Save the changes.

Now in the same Program Permissions area, click the Add button. Use the Browse button to navigate to

C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe

Add that file in by highlighting it, and clicking Open, ensure access is Full, then click Save.

Reboot, and try updating again.

• 2 weeks later...

Sir thanks for the solution. now i'm unable to the procedures u mention in mcafee because my subscription has expired and all the controls are diabled.

In the mean time i'm infected with 3 trojans when scanned thru malwarebytes. (I've posted as a new topic). Could you please suggest me some best antivirus software which is compatible with malwarebytes? also shall i uninstall mcafee from my system and try updating the database. If so please let me know the procedures for updating the database after uninstalling mcafee.

thanks

Sir thanks for the solution. now i'm unable to the procedures u mention in mcafee because my subscription has expired and all the controls are diabled.

In the mean time i'm infected with 3 trojans when scanned thru malwarebytes. (I've posted as a new topic). Could you please suggest me some best antivirus software which is compatible with malwarebytes? also shall i uninstall mcafee from my system and try updating the database. If so please let me know the procedures for updating the database after uninstalling mcafee.

thanks

Hello again, sakambari2:

In order to minimize confusion and to best help you, please do not crosspost in numerous threads for the same problem.

Since you are having malware problems and since we do not work on malware cleanup in this particular forum, please refer to my instructions in your other thread here:

http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showtopic=78023&view=findpost&p=400616

One of the trained helpers will assist you in the correct forum.

Thanks,

daledoc1

PS The mods/admins may wish to close or merge your duplicate threads here at this particular board.

In the mean time i'm infected with 3 trojans when scanned thru malwarebytes.

thanks

Hello:

Since your system is infected, the first step is to get it cleaned.

Inability to update MBAM may be related to the infection.

If your McAfee subscription is expired, then you will likely need to clean your system before installing a new product.

(If you search the forums here, you will find many threads about good options for AV products to run with MBAM.)

The malware helpers will assist you in cleaning your system and, in choosing and installing a new AV product.

First things first, please.

Thank you,

daledoc1