1.46 -> 1.50 client update question

Hello - just a quick question to see if I can work out why this is happening, if there's a configuration problem/need to reinstall MBAM etc. I fired up MBAM on another PC which I don't use very often today and it automatically updated to the 1.5x client, but on my main PC I noticed that it's still using 1.46 despite my updating it every few days manually.

Is there some problem stopping the 'check for updates' option from automatically updating? I'm about to do so manually anyways, but I'm just curious if I need to do a clean install. The option is ticked in updater settings to download and install program updates when available, the database version seems to update fine (currently 5386), and the latest news has a link in it to download the latest version in the client - but the Check for Updates button does not attempt to automatically download and apply the client update on this machine. I'm using Vista on this machine and XP on the machine which automatically updated, if that's an issue.

Thanks in advance. :)

Okay not too worried about the update thing itself now, checked a few times and it's correctly updating the database at least. Can someone just confirm that the IP it's using to update is correct? my firewall is reporting it as connecting to 93.184.221.133, I checked up the IP and a quick google search suggests it may not be legit so I'm freaking out a little :P my firewall shows it as using that IP for every update I've done going back over the last month though, so I'm hoping it's correct but I'm just a little worried.

Thanks.

• Root Admin

If it has been setup to be silent for updates that you should only need to start the scanner manually using an Admin account and check for updates and it should update the program as long as the setting to check for program updates has not been unchecked.

Please note the following if this is a business system.

The use of the product on any type of business system requires a corporate license, as part of that purchase you should be contacting corporate support.

Please send an email to Corporate Support Team <corporate-support@malwarebytes.org>

Also please include your Cleverbridge order reference number.

Thank you

If it has been setup to be silent for updates that you should only need to start the scanner manually using an Admin account and check for updates and it should update the program as long as the setting to check for program updates has not been unchecked.

Okay thank you, not sure why that wasn't working for me but I have it manually now so it doesn't matter anyways. Can you confirm that 93.184.221.133 is a legitimate part of the Malwarebytes servers used for the update process? I'm just a little paranoid after google searches suggesting it may not be legitimate.

Thanks again in advance. :D

Hi - yeah that's what I saw which made me start worrying, but I was still a little confused as there are a few mentions of it on these forums, and some don't seem to suggest it's anything malicious - such as http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?s...;.221\.133

Also the updates seem to be coming through fine.. and accessing the same IP during the update process from multiple machines. Is it possible that the IP listed is used legitimately by some part of malwarebytes? if not, is there any step I can take to resolve this? all my machines are accessing it for updates according to my firewall logs, and malware/virus scans all come back clean so I'm not sure what to do.

Here is what one of our Research Techs just sent back to me.

I've checked the IPBL, and nothing on 93.184.0.0/16 is blocked at present

Its part of a content delivery network that from time to time has threat content on it but that IP appears to be clean at this time.

Okay, so it's no problem that mbam.exe is accessing that when it updates? I presume it's just a content delivery network that you use?

Thanks very much for putting up with me by the way :D I have pretty bad OCD with security fixations and when I notice something like this I obsess and obsess about it until I'm sure there's nothing wrong, I know I'm not easy to deal with.