A couple of questions about scanning

I've had this program for quite a long time and I've always scanned while I'm online* and for the most part I scan using full scan. I have two questions about what I've been doing.

1)Okay, I know I have to be online so I can install new updates. But do I have to be online in order to let the program scan? And when I say be online*---I don't do any browsing or anything. I just have the modem hooked up so the computer is in online mode. I always unplug the wire to come offline when I'm not on the computer. I just feel safer doing that instead of letting the modem stay online 24/7. Will scanning offline change the speed of the program and make it go faster or does it need to be online to scan fast? I'm just not sure and I wanted to ask...

2)The program mentions something about quick scan being recommended for most cases. So is that true? Is it really best to use the quick scan option instead of full scan?

Thank you for any/all replies. :)

Hello

I am the research team lead and while developing definitions I never need to use the full scan to test them an in fact have not once even used the full scan on my research box in all of 2010 and most of 2009. The quick scan searches memory, load points, all locations where malware is usually found and all heuristic checks. The only thing the quick scan can actually miss is dead traces that do not have the ability to enter memory.

You do not need to be online while scanning. The only thing that is lost is detection stats being set to our servers and that wont actually affect you. If you are only using the free version of our software the only time you ever need to update is just before you run a scan.

Hello

I am the research team lead and while developing definitions I never need to use the full scan to test them an in fact have not once even used the full scan on my research box in all of 2010 and most of 2009. The quick scan searches memory, load points, all locations where malware is usually found and all heuristic checks. The only thing the quick scan can actually miss is dead traces that do not have the ability to enter memory.

You do not need to be online while scanning. The only thing that is lost is detection stats being set to our servers and that wont actually affect you. If you are only using the free version of our software the only time you ever need to update is just before you run a scan.

Thank you so much for the reply. I appreciate it. :)