Another Problem with 1.5, Computer Crashes During Full System Scan

Operating System: XP 32bit SP3, Language English

Antivirus/Firewall: Avira Antivir/Comodo Firewall

Malwarebytes 1.5, Database Version 5239

Short Story: Full System Scan causes Windows to crash

Long Story: I've been a happy MBAM user for several years and never had any problems........until now with the latest update. I see I'm not alone.

Three days ago I updated MBAM 1.46 to 1.5 (did this by installing 1.5 over 1.46). I then performed a short scan -- the system crashed and upon reboot I got the Window's message that said Window's experienced a critical error and needed to close. :(:)

Next, I uninstalled MBAM using Revo Uninstaller, restarted computer, and did a fresh install of 1.5. I did some reading in your forums and proceeded with these instructions:

I excluded the following files from Avira and Comodo Firewall

C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.exe

C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe

C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe

C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\zlib.dll

C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.dll

C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamext.dll

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\rules.ref

C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbam.sys

C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbamswissarmy.sys

I then did a Short Scan, a log was generated and everything checked-out OK :P

I then did a Full System Scan, and during the scan Windows crashed again, the computer rebooted and the Window's error message was generated again. :)

Carrying on, I once again uninstalled 1.5, but instead of using Revo, I followed your directions:

"To Fully Remove and Reinstall a Fresh New Copy of Malwarebytes - Read Carefully

Windows XP:

Click on Start and select Control Panel

Open Add/Remove Programs

Uninstall Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware

Restart your computer very important !

Download and run mbam-clean.exe from ->Here"

After install, I once again did a Short Scan followed by a Full Sytem

Short Scan went fine :)

Long Scan Crashed Windows again :lol:

Any clues???? :)

Hi,

What happens when you do a Full Scan in Safe Mode? Does it run to completion or still crash? Also, does it always crash on the same file? If so, which?

Thanks for the quick reply. I'll go head and run the scan now and get back to you tomorrow, hopefully with some more uewful info.

Peace

Done. ;)

Thank You

Update

Story so far, MBAM 1.5 causes computer to crash during full scan. I updated MBAM and ran full scan again with same result -- Windows crashes, computer reboots and an error report is generated. This time I'm attaching a screen shot of the error report that gets sent off to Microsoft. I'm not sure if this will mean anything to you, maybe it will give you a hint of what's going on.

I then rebooted computer into safe mode and ran a full scan and this time the scan completed without crashing computer. ;)

Error_Report_Screen_Shot.bmp

Update

Story so far, MBAM 1.5 causes computer to crash during full scan. I updated MBAM and ran full scan again with same result -- Windows crashes, computer reboots and an error report is generated. This time I'm attaching a screen shot of the error report that gets sent off to Microsoft. I'm not sure if this will mean anything to you, maybe it will give you a hint of what's going on.

I then rebooted computer into safe mode and ran a full scan and this time the scan completed without crashing computer. ;)

Sorry, but how does one attach a screen shot so it is visible in reply. ;)

Please do the following:

Upload Windows Crash MiniDump Logs:

• Please copy and paste the following text in the Code box exactly as written into notepad (not wordpad or any other text editor):
    @echo off
    md "%userprofile%\desktop\dumps"
    xcopy /e "%windir%\minidump" "%userprofile%\desktop\dumps"
    del /f /q %0

• Once you've done that click on File and select Save As...
  • In the Save dialogue box click on the drop down menu next to Save as type and select All Files
  • Name the file grabdump.bat (the .bat extension is very important)
  • Save the file to your desktop and double click it to run it.
  • Once it finishes there will be a folder called dumps on your desktop, right click on it and hover your mouse over Send To and select Compressed (zipped) Folder
  • Attach the dumps.zip file you just created to your next post

If there are no files in that folder then please do the following:

Enable Crash Dump Logging in Windows XP:

• Click on START and right-click on My Computer and choose Properties
  • Click on the Advanced tab
  • Click on Settings under Startup and Recovery
  • Click on the drop down menu under Write debugging information and choose Small memory dump (64 KB)
  • Verify that under Small dump directory: it says %SystemRoot%\Minidump
  • Click OK then click Apply then click OK
  • Re-create the crash by performing another scan in normal mode (not Safe Mode)
  • A mini dump should now have been created, please follow the above steps for uploading your mini dump

Thanks ;)

post-61546-1291640623_thumb.jpg

You need to save the image in a different format such as PNG or JPEG.

Thank you for the info. Here's the screen shot of the error report content. It's been awhile since I posted a screen shot. I'll post the mini-dump log in my next reply.

Thanks ;)

post-61546-1291640623_thumb.jpg

Thank you for the info. Here's the screen shot of the error report content. It's been awhile since I posted a screen shot. I'll post the mini-dump log in my next reply.

Thanks ;)

Well, I just ran a full scan with advanced heuristics detection set to off and the the scan competed successfully.....go figure. :)

Thanks again for all your effort. :)

Excellent ;)

You're most welcome, but if you wouldn't mind, would you be willing to please send us the memory dumps that were created so we can troubleshoot the cause of the issue?:

• Please copy and paste the following text in the Code box exactly as written into notepad (not wordpad or any other text editor):
    @color 48
    @echo off
    md "%userprofile%\desktop\Memory Dumps"
    xcopy /e "%temp%\WER0b5b.dir00" "%userprofile%\desktop\Memory Dumps"
    del /f /q %0

• In the Save dialogue box click on the drop down menu next to Save as type and select All Files
  • Once it finishes there will be a folder called Memory Dumps on your desktop, right click on it and hover your mouse over Send To and select Compressed (zipped) Folder
  • Attach the Memory Dumps.zip file you just created to your next post

Thanks ;)

Excellent :)

You're most welcome, but if you wouldn't mind, would you be willing to please send us the memory dumps that were created so we can troubleshoot the cause of the issue?:

@color 48
    @echo off
    md "%userprofile%\desktop\Memory Dumps"
    xcopy /e "%temp%\WER0b5b.dir00" "%userprofile%\desktop\Memory Dumps"
    del /f /q %0

• Once it finishes there will be a folder called Memory Dumps on your desktop, right click on it and hover your mouse over Send To and select Compressed (zipped) Folder
  • Attach the Memory Dumps.zip file you just created to your next post

Thanks ;)

Sorry, but the Memory dumps folder was empty and Crash Dump Logging was enabled. ;) I'll run another full scan tonight and if there is a crash then I'll make another attempt to send you a log. :)

Try this one instead this time:

@echo off
    md "%userprofile%\desktop\dumps"
    xcopy /e "%windir%\minidump" "%userprofile%\desktop\dumps"
    del /f /q %0

• Once it finishes there will be a folder called dumps on your desktop, right click on it and hover your mouse over Send To and select Compressed (zipped) Folder
  • Attach the dumps.zip file you just created to your next post

If that one doesn't grab any dumps then go to C:\Documents and settings\User Name\Local Settings\Temp and look for any folders there that start with WER and if any exist, copy them and place them in the Memory Dumps folder on your desktop and then zip that folder and attach it here.

EdWJ,

I was able to reproduce and diagnose the issue you are having. After installing all critical updates from Windows(including SP3) the issue was resolved. Please install all critical updates from Windows and download and install SP3 if you haven't already. This should take care of the issue. Let me know the results.

EdWJ,

I was able to reproduce and diagnose the issue you are having. After installing all critical updates from Windows(including SP3) the issue was resolved. Please install all critical updates from Windows and download and install SP3 if you haven't already. This should take care of the issue. Let me know the results.

Thank you for researching and attempting to diagnose my issues with 1.5, but I already have SP3 installed on my computer and am up-to-date with the critical updates -- my Automatic Updates is set to auto -- maybe a HJT log or an OTL log would be beneficial?

I'll attempt another full scan this evening and get back to you with the results.

Thanks again

Thank you for researching and attempting to diagnose my issues with 1.5, but I already have SP3 installed on my computer and am up-to-date with the critical updates -- my Automatic Updates is set to auto -- maybe a HJT log or an OTL log would be beneficial?

I'll attempt another full scan this evening and get back to you with the results.

Thanks again

Sorry, but full scan is still causing crash. I've attached another Windows Crash Mini-Dump Log.

dumps.zip

Hi

I seem to have a similar problem.

Windows XP, fully updated service packs etc, had Malwarebytes for about a year now without problems.

I downloaded the beta version and figured it may just have been a problem with that at the time. I only run full scans and it only got 10 mins in before it caused my windows to restart every time without fail.

So just to be sure, today, I uninstalled the current MBAM I had, restarted, ran the cleaner, restarted, and installed the version on your home page and updated the database. Ran a full scan and 10mins in, it made my windows restart. I've got the heuristics box unchecked (as mentioned previously in this topic) but is there something else I should be doing?

Thanks in avance

Sarah

Hi

I seem to have a similar problem.

Windows XP, fully updated service packs etc, had Malwarebytes for about a year now without problems.

I downloaded the beta version and figured it may just have been a problem with that at the time. I only run full scans and it only got 10 mins in before it caused my windows to restart every time without fail.

So just to be sure, today, I uninstalled the current MBAM I had, restarted, ran the cleaner, restarted, and installed the version on your home page and updated the database. Ran a full scan and 10mins in, it made my windows restart. I've got the heuristics box unchecked (as mentioned previously in this topic) but is there something else I should be doing?

Thanks in avance

Sarah

Relieved to hear that I'm not the only one. My full scans gets 60 min. in, then crash and reboot. It seems I can only run a full scan in safe-mode. I was able today to complete a short scan today with the heuristics engine enable, something I wasn't able to do before.

EdWj and SarahES,

Please run OTL:

Download OTL to your Desktop:

http://oldtimer.geekstogo.com/OTL.exe

Double click on the icon to run it. Make sure all other windows are closed and to let it run uninterrupted.

OTL should now start. Change the following settings

Change Drivers to All

Change Standard Registry to All

Under File Scans, change File age to 30

Click the Run Scan button. Do not change any settings unless otherwise told to do so. The scan wont take long.

When the scan completes, it will open two notepad windows. OTL.Txt and Extras.Txt (first run only). These are saved in the same location as OTL.

Please attach these 2 files in your next reply.

Thanks.