Context menu shows "chinese" characters in status bar

wakey05

Hi

I couldn't see this anywhere by searching, but this still feels like a duh! moment.

Anyway, I noticed that in explorer on Vista, a right click on a file brings up the context menu.

When "Scan with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware" is hovered over, the status bar shows a lot of what look like Chinese characters.

There's no problem other than just wanting to know if this is "normal" or a symptom of something else.

Cheers

wakey

Is MBAM the ONLY program or shortcut that does this? Is there any indication that any other program is doing this as well?

Hi

All other contexts display english or nothing in the status bar in the bottom line of vista windows explorer, except for "Scan with SUPERantispyware" which displays "chinese" characters. Note that the first five characters are the same for MAM and SAS.

I'm just looking to see if I can get a jpg of the display.

Scans from MAM, Superantispyware, Panda are clean.

Regards

• Root Admin

Well I'm not sure if this will help or not, but should only take a few minutes to try it out and see.

Is this a US ENGLISH installation of Vista or another language?

If you are having any problems with Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware protection please do the following.

1. Uninstall Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware using Add/Remove programs in the control panel.

2. Restart your computer (very important).

3. Download and run this utility.

4. It will ask to restart your computer (please allow it to).

5. After the computer restarts, install the latest version from here.

Note: You will need to reactivate the program using the license you were sent via e-mail.

Let us know if the problem is still there after the above procedures. Also try to get a screen shot of it to post.

Thanks

Hi

All remove and re-install instructions carried out without incident.

The symptoms described earlier have not changed.

Regards

Just to confirm that the originally reported problem with "Chinese" characters appearing in the status bar when right clicking on a file in explorer and hovering over Scan with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware does still exist.

Does anyone else get this?

It looks to be just a cosmetic issue, but it would be nice to know what is going on... just in case it is a symptom of something worse.

Regards

• 3 months later...

Hello all,

Good to see that it's being looked into! I was told about Malwarebytes just last week and decided to try it, and saw the characters too. I did a Google search to check whether this was normal, and only found this thread and also one on another forum at http://forums.pcpitstop.com/index.php?showtopic=164267

The admin looking into it suggests that this is a bug and not a symptom of an infection, is this right? I tried to read the characters to see if it looked valid for a status bar message, but my Chinese is a lot rustier than I thought. 我講華語得。。。不太好 :)

• 4 weeks later...

Hello again,

Hope you don't mind if I bump this thread again! I decided to try Malwarebytes again to see if this problem would still happen with version 1.34, and the shell extension still does display Chinese characters. Not only that, but it also causes SuperAntiSpyware's shell extension to also use Chinese characters, just like in the original problem reported. Just like the original poster, my machine has a US English Vista installation, and my regional and language settings are also set to US English (even though I am nowhere near the US).

I have tried uninstalling both Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and SuperAntiSpyware, and running both of their clean removal programs (mbam-clean.exe and sasuninst.exe), deleting their respective folders in Program Files, and even system restores, but even a new install of SuperAntiSpyware without Malwarebytes still uses Chinese characters. If this is really just a bug and not something dangerous (although it still messed with SuperAntiSpyware's shell extension), is there a way to fix it? I tried searching through the registry for the Chinese characters, but found nothing.

Do any of you know how I can fix SuperAntiSpyware's entry in the explorer menu, and maybe even that of Malwarebytes? If it's not in the registry, is it stored in a configuration file somewhere (probably not Program Files, since I tried cleaning there)? Or maybe just a DLL somewhere that determines what the shell extension menu will display.

And yeah, sorry if bumping is against the rules! Maybe split this post to a new thread if adding it here is inappropriate.

The only place I could think of to check would be using MS Sysinternals Autoruns to see if MBAMShlExt is listed under the HKLM\Software\Classes\Folder\ShellEx\ContextMenuHandlers heading, and if it is, right click it and click Delete. The only other cause I could possibly see would have to do with the VB runtime files that are installed, and I'm not a programmer so I won't venture into how to remove those.

The only place I could think of to check would be using MS Sysinternals Autoruns to see if MBAMShlExt is listed under the HKLM\Software\Classes\Folder\ShellEx\ContextMenuHandlers heading, and if it is, right click it and click Delete. The only other cause I could possibly see would have to do with the VB runtime files that are installed, and I'm not a programmer so I won't venture into how to remove those.

I saved the registry item on my Vista system then deleted the entry and it changed from blank square boxes to Chinese characters.

Hi again; thanks for answering both questions!

Will try again once I reinstall Malwarebytes. If I remember right, the shell extension didn't go away even with the cleanup tool, so I used ShellExView to remove it.

That's a pretty scary application.

Do you mean the MBAM line?

t3179_MBAM.GIF