Is Malwarebytes an AV program?

Windows Security Center is showing that I am running more than one Anti-Virus programs running. Unfortunately, it does not identify the program names.

If anyone know how to identify what AV programs are running, I'd like to know.

I'm running MSE and MWB v1.50.

So, does Windows consider MWB to be an AV program?

Thx, Rob

• Staff

Hello.

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware is not an anti virus application, it may not find viruses or worms and does not scan or check incoming or outgoing email nor interact with any email clients or email web services in any way.

You must have an antivirus software application installed to have a properly secured Windows operating system.

Here are some links for free anti virus if you do not have any:

Avira

http://www.free-av.com/en/download/1/avira..._antivirus.html

avast

http://www.avast.com/eng/download-avast-home.html

PCTools:

http://www.pctools.com/free-antivirus/

BitDefender

http://www.bitdefender.com/PRODUCT-14-en--...ee-Edition.html

You must have an antivirus software application installed to have a properly secured Windows operating system.
Yes, of course. As I stated, I am running MSE as my AV program.

Again, my question is: How do I identify the names and count of the AV programs I am running. I am only aware of running MSE - however, Windows Security Center says I'm running more than one - but does not identify the programs!

• Staff
Yes, of course. As I stated, I am running MSE as my AV program.

Again, my question is: How do I identify the names and count of the AV programs I am running. I am only aware of running MSE - however, Windows Security Center says I'm running more than one - but does not identify the programs!

What does it show as installed? What other security do you have installed?

What does it show as installed? What other security do you have installed?
That's the problem - it (Windows Security Center) does not show what's installed!

I'm running the following security programs:

COMODO Internet Security Version 5, 0, 162628, 1134

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware Version 1.50.0.0000

Microsoft Security Essentials Version 3.0.8107.0

Scan Engine Version 1.1.6402.0

Virus Definitions Version 1.95.2179.0

Realtime File Scanning On

Why Windows Security Center is saying I'm running more than one AV program I have no clue!

That is because you are running COMODO Internet Security Version 5 and Microsoft Security Essentials.

I believe the COMODO you have includes an AV, but I am not 100% sure on that cause I do not use that product.

It does.:) The installer has it prechecked along with the firewall by default. Personaly I would remove MSE and stick with Comodo for the all in one suite. :)

• Root Admin

Please run the following and it may help identify.

Download
DDS
and save it to your desktop

Disable any script blocker if your Anti-Virus/Anti-Malware has it.

Once downloaded you can disconnect from the Internet and disable your Ant-Virus temporarily if needed.

Then double click
dds.scr
to run the tool.

When done, the
DDS.txt
will open.

Click Yes at the next prompt for Optional Scan.

When done, DDS will open two (2) logs:

1. DDS.txt

2. Attach.txt

• Save both reports to your desktop

• Please include the following logs in your next reply:
    DDS.txt
    and
    Attach.txt

Remove AV WMI Registration

1. Click on the Start menu.

2. Select Run...

3. Type wbemtest and click OK

4. Click Connect

5. Type (or copy/paste)
    root/SecurityCenter
    in the NameSpace box

6. Click Connect

7. Click on Query

8. Type in or copy / paste
    SELECT * FROM AntiVirusProduct
    and click on Apply

If there is more than one result, it means there is more than one Antivirus program installed.

Double click on each result to view the properties for that Antivirus product.

Identify the product(s) installed and DELETE the records for the
unwanted one

Make sure it's not in your Add/Remove programs list though as an installed program.

Delete_AV_From_WMI.gif

Thanks Ron! Excellent instructions!

I followed your instructions and have included the generated output .txt files (DDS.txt and Attach.txt).

As you can see, the DDS.txt file shows 3 AV programs! Interestingly, the *Enabled/Updated* AVG Anti-Virus Free was uninstalled from my XP system at least 2 years ago! AVG does not show as an installed program anywhere on my system! Why and how it is detected by DDS.scr I do not know.

In any case, following your instructions, I deleted it's 'AntiVirusProduct.instanceGuid'. Great!

That leaves the other 2 AV programs - both being for Microsoft Security Essentials. Why there are two is a mystery to me.

I copy/pasted the text displayed when I clicked 'Show MOF' for each of the two remaining entries and included it in this post.

I assume I need to delete one of the remaining AV enrties - correct? But which one? And how do I toggle *Disabled/Updated* to *Enabled/Updated*?

Hopefully I've provided enough information for a thorough analysis and recommendation.

Very much appreciate your assistance and expertise! Rob

DDS.txt

Attach.txt

AntiVirusProduct.instanceGuid.txt

• Root Admin

I would go here and obtain the AVG uninstaller to manually remove any left over elements of AVG

http://www.avg.com/us-en/download-tools

Then I'd manually remove all versions of Microsoft Security Essentials and reboot.

Then run the WMI tool again and see if it finds either one still. If so use it to remove that entry as well.

Then reboot again and run DDS to ensure that all is now clean for detection of those items.

When all clean, go ahead and download the latest version of Microsoft Security Essentials and update it and setup any file exclusions that may be required to operate with Malwarebytes.

You also have a LOT of services and programs set to load when Windows starts. You could probably gain back a lot of performance by removing un-needed services and applications that startup when Windows starts and just manually start them when you do want to use them instead of every time Windows loads.

OK - all done per your instructions! All looks good now!

DDS (Ver_10-12-12.02) - NTFSx86

Run by unbob at 11:57:59.37 on Tue 12/21/2010

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2900.5512 BrowserJavaVersion: 1.6.0_22

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition 5.1.2600.3.1252.1.1033.18.2046.571 [GMT -7:00]

AV: Microsoft Security Essentials *Enabled/Updated* {EDB4FA23-53B8-4AFA-8C5D-99752CCA7095}

FW: COMODO Firewall *Enabled*

============== Running Processes ===============

and ...

instance of AntiVirusProduct

{

companyName = "Microsoft Corporation";

displayName = "Microsoft Security Essentials";

instanceGuid = "{EDB4FA23-53B8-4AFA-8C5D-99752CCA7095}";

onAccessScanningEnabled = TRUE;

pathToEnableOnAccessUI = "C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Security Client\\msseces.exe";

pathToUpdateUI = "C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Security Client\\msseces.exe";

productUptoDate = TRUE;

versionNumber = "3.0.8107.0";

};

Thanks again for your very able assistance! Rob