What protection to use?

OK, so when I bought my first PC back in 1997, I dont recall if it came with Norton or what, but I do remember when I bought my second PC in 2002 it did, and I used it up until a month ago on the other 2 computers I purchased since. So last summer my laptop started having bouts of running SUPER slow, and when I checked what was running it would show some file that was associated with Norton I guess (Im not really PC savvy, but its what someone told me). So I was told to get rid of it when it expired and use some free programs. So, a month ago I did just that but now my laptop is dead thanks to "System Tools". I NEVER had an issue in more than 13 years with Norton, but a month after I removed it Ive got a virus and HOPEFULLY my laptop isnt dead.

So, what Im wondering is, what is my best bet? I liked Norton and never had any issues other than it started bogging down my laptop. I liked that it automatically updated and scanned my system. I liked that if I was on a page that was dangerous or had an attac it would pop up a message saying it just blocked something, or this site was unsafe, etc. Since Im not savvy with a computer, whats my best bet for complete protection?

I really appreciate any advice. Thanks in advance.

Hi :rolleyes:

Everything is based on opinion rather then fact so no one product is best or will work. It's best you try a few different ones. :lol:

Avast Free

Avira Free

Microsoft Security Essentials

Most free products don't offer complete protection. Currently Comodo Internet Security and FortiClient(FortiClient is very bad at it's job) only offer complete protection including antivirus, firewall and proactive protection against malware. :P

I appreciate the info. But, are you being facetious? Is FortiClient really bad & Comodo really good, or are you saying Forti is really good? Hard to read humor on the net, you know. I appreciate it.

PS: Would one of these have stopped the System Tools malware I got thats locked up my PC, and if so, could I download these to a separate PC and then use a sata cable to hook my infested drive to and scan & clean that way? Thanks again, just trying to figure out what I should do from here on out. I do appreciate it.

You're welcome. I'm just sharing my experience along with some others on FortiClient. :rolleyes: FortiClient and Comodo are both rather poor in finding malware. They both are a bit better in prevention with their firewall, web filtering and other features.

It's possible they would have. We can help get your pc cleaned up for free. :lol: Antivirus tend to not cleanup well so that's why malwarebytes' is available and tools experts use to help with. :P

We don't work on Malware removal or diagnostics in the general forums.

Please print out, read and follow the directions here, skipping any steps you are unable to complete. Then post a NEW topic here.

One of the expert helpers there will give you one-on-one assistance when one becomes available.

After posting your new post make sure under options that you select Track this topic and choose one of the Email options so that you're alerted when someone has replied to your post.

Alternatively, as a paying customer, you can contact the help desk at support@malwarebytes.org

Most free products don't offer complete protection. Currently Comodo Internet Security and FortiClient(FortiClient is very bad at it's job) only offer complete protection including antivirus, firewall and proactive protection against malware. :rolleyes:

One other free product that claims to offer complete protection is Agnitum's Outpost Security Suite Free. I was just notified about it this week (probably because I use Agnitum's Outpost Pro firewall and am thus on their mailing list). I haven't tried this--until now, the Suite had only been available for $$, but now apparently there's a free version. It offers free antivirus, firewall, and other stuff. I don't know what the difference is between it and Agnitum's commercial version of the Suite, but the commercial version is well regarded. Take a look at the website for more info.

Buttons, I appreciate it. I already posted some help questions in the removal part of the forum and Im looking into alternative ideas right now (trying to get an old desktop running so I can clean the drive on that) but I guess basically, my question is, why do I hear so many people speak poorly of Norton. Ive never once had an issue until my laptop starting bogging down because of this program that is supposedly associated with Norton, and now Ive got a laptop with EVERYTHING on it thats inaccessible. It just sucks that I didnt stick with my Norton and I guess Im really frustrated because if I were more computer savvy I could probably have avoided all this. I dont know, just venting I guess. 3 hours in front of the old desktop and I cant get on the net with it for whatever reason, so I can download any cleaning tools to clean the drive. Thing is, I know more than most (how to pull an internal drive from a laptop and hook it to another computer with a sata line) but I know compared to guys here I know nothing. I really do appreciate the help.

whatmeworry? I will, thanks.