Constant blocking of Skype IP 193.169.40.7

Every 10 minutes Skype is being blocked from connecting to IP 193.169.40.7. This has been happening for days and I pretty much permanently have the blocking dialogue sitting in my notification tray. Here is an example from the log:

11:11:37 Steve IP-BLOCK 193.169.40.7 (Type: outgoing, Port: 55941, Process: skype.exe)

It's just this IP and it occurs over and over, note that it is outgoing as well. I only have people I know in my contacts list and none of them are dodgy, black-hat hackers. Is this something that other Skype users are seeing or is it just me?

Hello Shamrin

Did you see the response from Skype Support re this here?

I only have Skype running now when I am actually using it.

I suggest that you don't worry about it - it is highly unlikely to affect the functionality of Skype if these are blocked by MBAM, and Skype itself seems quite secure.

You could turn off the tooltip balloons and just check the logs periodically for non-Skype blocks

Hello Shamrin

Did you see the response from Skype Support re this here?

I only have Skype running now when I am actually using it.

I suggest that you don't worry about it - it is highly unlikely to affect the functionality of Skype if these are blocked by MBAM, and Skype itself seems quite secure.

You could turn off the tooltip balloons and just check the logs periodically for non-Skype blocks

Hi John, thanks for the response and yes, I remember that from our last discussion on this topic.

I considered turning off the notifications because this one is so annoying but then I won't see if something else is misbehaving. I suppose I will have to though as this issue is likely to turn out to be unknowable and unfixable. Why is Skype constantly reaching out to this particular IP in The Netherlands?

Hi Sharmin

From the response from Skype Support in the above link, my guess is that what you are seeing is either a Supernode or a Relay Node. Skype depends on decentralising its traffic to achieve its voice & video quality. As Skype Support says "Skype is a peer-to-peer (P2P) application. Peer-to-peer makes it possible for multiple computers running the same P2P software to communicate and participate in traffic routing, processing and other bandwidth intensive tasks that are usually performed by a central server"

So it is likely to access anywhere in the world to achieve this, and it also explains why some Skype users see different IP blocks to others. But Skype point out that actual Skype communications between users are encrypted. They also say "Our security model also prevents anyone with a supernode or relay node from interfering with, or capturing any part of, a Skype communication, even if they can collect or sniff network data packets. It also makes it very difficult for anybody to eavesdrop on content by installing an internet computer in the theoretical path of Skype traffic"

I had a period when I was tracking IP blocks where Skype kept trying to hit a particular IP address but stopped after a couple of weeks and then a different one happened.

You will probably find that your Skype will move on from 193.169.40.7 eventually, and you may get no further blocks, or you may get blocks to some other IP address.

All that is part of the package when you install P2P software.

In Skypes' case, MBAM IP Blocking has revealed some of its workings normally hidden under the bonnet ....