.Ink virus

I recently did a scan with malwarebytes, and it didn't find any infected files, however; I copied a bunch of music files yesterday to give to a friend and when she played one of the files, windows media player said that it did not recognize the file ".Ink". All of her icons turned into music notes, she performed a system recovery, and did a scan with norton antivirus but it did not show that there was any virus at all. Her Norton anti-virus is running differently since she did the scan this morning.

I am not sure how to find this file that is seemingly laying dormant in one of my music files, and would greatly appreciate any help that you are able to give me!

Thanks so much

Candis

Your friend is using Windows Media player, so it would be normal for music file icons to become "music notes"

Re the .INK file - do you mean .LNK file? If so, you may have sent a Windows Link file instead of a music file. Get your friend to right click on the .LNK file and choose Properties then see what it says in "Target" - it may be a reference to a file on your hard disk, so you can then have a look at what it was.

• Staff

One other thing to add.

It sounds like your friends icon cache got corrupted when they clicked on the lnk file from your computer you copied. Its a common problem on later versions of windows.

Here is a link

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums...8f-2a5b8bd7be1d

It was more than likely not a virus. But without you scaning the files i cant be sure.

You can try another antivirus scanner like cureit from dr.web to get a 2nd opinion. This does not install and is a standalone application. Just be careful with it if you try to go this route but i dont believe its necessary.

Your friend is using Windows Media player, so it would be normal for music file icons to become "music notes"

It was the desktop icons that turned into music notes..

Re the .INK file - do you mean .LNK file? If so, you may have sent a Windows Link file instead of a music file. Get your friend to right click on the .LNK file and choose Properties then see what it says in "Target" - it may be a reference to a file on your hard disk, so you can then have a look at what it was.

She distinctly said that it was a file ending in ".Ink" , I asked her if it was .LNK, and she was positive that it wasn't. She was just playing music from a memory stick, and hadn't downloaded it yet, so the file is no longer on her computer..

It was more than likely not a virus. But without you scaning the files i cant be sure.

I just finished a scan with Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware... hopefully this is what you are looking for..

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.44

Database version: 3741

Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3

Internet Explorer 7.0.5730.11

12/12/2010 8:56:52 PM

mbam-log-2010-12-12 (20-56-52).txt

Scan type: Full Scan (C:\|F:\|H:\|)

Objects scanned: 257853

Time elapsed: 2 hour(s), 36 minute(s), 6 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0

Memory Modules Infected: 0

Registry Keys Infected: 0

Registry Values Infected: 0

Registry Data Items Infected: 0

Folders Infected: 0

Files Infected: 0

Memory Processes Infected:

(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

(No malicious items detected)

Registry Keys Infected: