Problems with Flash Drives

How can I get Flash Drives to work. I have 3 different Flash Drives and they work at times, but not fully. Also what is Memory Card Manager. I get an error message that refers to Memory Card Manager, but find no reference to it in Microsoft Help.

My Computer is a Dell Dimension 3000 with XP Home and 1GB RAM. I have about 65%of my Hard Drive Free.

I have run Virus Checkers and Malwarebytes, Rogue Remover and Other AntiSpyware and all is Clear,

Any Help would be appreciated.

John in Nevada

• Root Admin

Hi John,

"I have 3 different Flash Drives and they work at times, but not fully"

Can you be a little bit more specific please. When you say not fully what is that supposed to mean? Do they get assigned a drive letter? Can you read and copy data from them?

What is not working and what is working for them ?

Hi John,

"I have 3 different Flash Drives and they work at times, but not fully"

Can you be a little bit more specific please. When you say not fully what is that supposed to mean? Do they get assigned a drive letter? Can you read and copy data from them?

What is not working and what is working for them ?

Sometimes they do most times they are not recognized and do not get a letter assigned.

Whwn they work they work OK, but I have trouble closing them out. When they don't work nothing works.

The not working part is much more often. Somtimes when I attempt to close them they will start to work.

This has been happening since I started trying to use Flash Drives, so I can say that they never worked right.

• Root Admin

After you insert a USB external drive, or thumb drive/disk. Does the little green hardware indicator show up in the tray?

After you install a disk and wait a minute for it to be recognized then click on START - RUN and type in diskmgmt.msc and press the ENTER key or click OK

Then look and find the disk which will probably be FAT32 then right click on it assign or change the drive letter and that should enable it to work.

You can also look at running this tool from Microsoft Autoplay Repair Wizard

Also try taking a look at this article and see if one of these solutions helps out.

Autorun on Wikipedia