Due to inclement weather in Southwest Florida, our Clearwater support team is offline. Our other offices are available to assist you, however their responses may be delayed. We appreciate your patience and understanding during this time. ×

Update service not running

I'm using Windows Vista and recently Ive been having issues with my automatic updates. I closed my laptop and it started to download an update, so I left it on, went to bed, and the next morning it was still on the update. Obviously something was wrong, so I was forced to remove the battery and put in back in because it wouldn't shut off otherwise.

Now if I try to manually update from the control panel it says "the service is not running". Is this some kind of Trojan virus? Malwarebytes scan turned up nothing twice already.

Please provide following details, so that someone may be able to assist you:

• 1. OS version including 32/64-bit
    2. Installed Security Product(s) including Firewall and Program Versions
    3. MBAM version (current 1.50) (Free or Pro)
    4. Definition version (current 5311)
    5. Do you use a router to connect to Internet
    6. How much Ram is installed

Also what is it your trying to update? Windows Update? Malwarebytes?

Please provide following details, so that someone may be able to assist you:

• 1. OS version including 32/64-bit
    2. Installed Security Product(s) including Firewall and Program Versions
    3. MBAM version (current 1.50) (Free or Pro)
    4. Definition version (current 5311)
    5. Do you use a router to connect to Internet
    6. How much Ram is installed

Also what is it your trying to update? Windows Update? Malwarebytes?

1. OS 32-bit

2. Only have windows defender as a firewall and use Malwarebytes.

3. MBAM 1.50 (free)

4. Version 5312

5. No I'm wireless

6. 2.0 GB of ram

First run this full Check Disk scan - Cut and paste this code into the Run box - It will restart your computer and run a full 5 stage check -

Make sure all other programs are closed first - This takes about 30 mins , so let it run and it will check and repair most items -

CMD /C ECHO Y|CHKDSK C: /R | SHUTDOWN /R /T 30

Then run sfc /scannow by using the same method as above - If you have your install CD/DVD place that in and run it while this is running -

If there is no improvement then please post back -

Thank You - :D

Yes when you run the command:

sfc /scannow

you will see a black window pop up and then you will see another window popup where the computer is scanning files and probably ask you for a windows installation CD/DVD.

You can read about this utility at the pages below....

http://www.updatexp.com/scannow-sfc.html
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb491008.aspx

Ok so I got this error when trying to close the comp this time, the one that I saw when this started:

CInkStoreShared message window: Input Personalization.exe....the memory could not be read.

It also said something to the effect that Input personalization.exe was keeping my computer from shutting down.

Oh and tried the sfc /scannow but no window prompting for a disc still.

This is what I found with that process:

Program Name : InputPersonalization.exe

Manufacturer : Microsoft

Description : Task found on Tablet PCs running Windows Vista. You either have the Handwriting Recognizer (also called Handwriting Recognition Personalization Tool or Input Personalization) currently open and you are training your Tablet PC to recognize your handwriting, or you are currently entering free-hand text on your Tablet PC and the Handwriting Recognizer is running in the background automatically converting your handwriting to machine understandable text.

Does that ring a bell? Do you have a Tablet PC? and using this type of software? If so try diabling it for a little bit and test afterwards.

Ok so I got this error when trying to close the comp this time, the one that I saw when this started:

CInkStoreShared message window: Input Personalization.exe....the memory could not be read.

It also said something to the effect that Input personalization.exe was keeping my computer from shutting down.

Oh and tried the sfc /scannow but no window prompting for a disc still.

Ok, well after looking up the IP.exe file it seems it's some kind of malicious file in my computer, and that I need registry cleaners to get rid of it, however I have a free registry cleaning software and it didn't find it.

Now my updates seem to start working, but stay in the "creating a restore point" indefinitely. I'll keep looking up info on the exe. file.