Newbie having problems.

I am getting this error after running the above fix:

An error has occurred. Please report this error code to our support team.

PROGRAM_ERROR_MISSING_FILE (2, 0, mbamswissarmy.sys)

The system cannot find the file specified.

I just had root kit exploit removed from my computer, initially, I tried to use Malwarebytes to fix the problem thinking that all I had was the Antivirius 8 virus problem. After several attempts with trying to get MBAM to run and coming to the conclusion that whatever was on my computer was overwhelming MBAM, I got professional help, that detected and removed the root kit. Now I am trying to get MBAM up and running, I figured I'd uninstall MBAM, then down load a fresh copy, lo and behold, the folder for MBAM is still on my computer. I opened it and try'ed starting it. I got the "error 440" message, researched it, made the change, and now have the advertised problem I submit.

Computer: HP G60-243CL Notebook.

Operating System: Vista Home Premium.

Thanks, TerryV

• Staff

Please try the following to see if it helps: Also Post back and let us know.

Windows XP:

• Click on Start and select Control Panel
  • Open Add/Remove Programs
  • Uninstall Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  • Restart your computer very important
  • Download and run mbam-clean.exe from here
  • NOTE: If you get SHGetValue failed with error code 0, that only means that the tool has nothing to perform, continue on with the next step....
  • It will ask to restart your computer, please allow it to do so very important
  • After the computer restarts, temporarily disable your Anti-Virus and install the latest version of Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from here
    • Note: You will need to reactivate the program using the license you were sent via email if using the Pro version
    • Launch the program and set the Protection and Registration. Then go to the UPDATE tab if not done during installation and check for updates.
      Restart the computer again and verify that MBAM is in the task tray if using the Pro version. Now setup any file exclusions as may be required in your Anti-Virus/Internet-Security/Firewall applications and restart your Anti-Virus/Internet-Security applications. You may use the guides posted in the FAQ's here or ask me and I'll explain how to do it.

Windows Vista and Windows 7:

• Click on the Start vista-7-start.png button and select Control Panel
  • Click on Programs and Features
  • Uninstall Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  • Restart your computer very important
  • Download and run mbam-clean.exe from here
  • NOTE: If you get SHGetValue failed with error code 0, that only means that the tool has nothing to perform, continue on with the next step....
  • It will ask to restart your computer, please allow it to do so very important
  • After the computer restarts, temporarily disable your Anti-Virus and install the latest version of Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from here
  • Note: You will need to reactivate the program using the license you were sent via email if using the Pro version
  • Launch the program and set the Protection and Registration. Then go to the UPDATE tab if not done during installation and check for updates.
    Restart the computer again and verify that MBAM is in the task tray if using the Pro version. Now setup any file exclusions as may be required in your Anti-Virus/Internet-Security/Firewall applications and restart your Anti-Virus/Internet-Security applications. You may use the guides posted in the FAQ's here or ask me and I'll explain how to do it.

Hi tetonbob, here is the real problem, when I go to the Uninstall Control panel, there is NO MBAM folder to be uninstalled, however, if I click on "All Programs" at the Start Button, there is a folder for MBAM there. Sorry, I am having a problem with the message board,and also I cant make a screen shot of the Start Programs window with the Snipping tool to show. BTW, if I go to Computer>>Local disk ©>>Program Files, there IS a folder with 16 items in it. Thanks for the help, TerryV.

Hi Bob, thanks, so the question is, should I just trash the folder I can see when I go to the C drive before I proceed with mbam-clean? When I first started there was a folder that I un-installed, and it was cleared in a flash. I have attached a screen shots of the folders. Hope this helps in resolving the question. Terry.

post-61757-1291663346_thumb.jpg

post-61757-1291663367_thumb.jpg

• Root Admin

You should be able to click on START - RUN and type in or Copy/Paste the following to uninstall the program.

"C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\unins000.exe"

Make sure you include the quote marks as well. You should be prompted by the UAC to allow the removal just click ok to allow it.

Hi fellows. OK I followed the instructions posted and then ran "mbam-clean.exe", when I checked, the folder was still there, but empty. I trashed the folder and emptied the trash and no problem. I have attached another file that I found I found in my downloads folder that I really don't know what it is, should I trash it? Is it something left over from my brush with the root kit? Terry.

post-61757-1291683797_thumb.jpg

Hi Bob, don't know for sure, I think that the tech did use something like that when he cleaned up the root kit. He did it remotely, and I tried to follow what was happening. Yes, I now have MBAM installed, I updated it and ran a quick scan from the Administrator desktop with no infections reported. Looks like the problem is solved! Thanks!! TerryV