Linksys trouble after virus.

chasechunt

here is a topic problem i had with a virus... http://www.malwarebytes.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=6769

however, ever since i did some of the steps, my Linksys wireless router seems to drop its transmission rate from 11.0mbps, to 32, to 48, to 54, which it should be at 54. i updated the firmware, and reset everything to factory reset. sometimes my browsers will stop responding or the network will disconnect. or the internet wont come through and i have to repower the router. at times i cant even connect to the admin functions of the router because its not connecting. what can I do to fix this problem because its happening on all 3 computers.

• Root Admin

Take one of the computers and hook it directly to the Modem (not the router) via Ethernet cable. Make sure the network card settings are set for DHCP.

Shut down the PC and the MODEM both and unplug them from power for at least 3 minutes.

Plug the power pack in for the Modem and turn it on. Wait 1 minute and then turn the PC on and see if it gets an IP and can browse the Web etc. Let it run for an hour while browsing etc to safe well known sites and have at least the built-in Windows XP firewall enabled.

If that PC works fine then I"d say the Linksys router is at fault and if possible borrow a friends router for an hour or so and plug it in and set it up with just basic defaults and verify if all the computers can browse the Web okay.

Does this problem only happen with Wireless clients or even the Ethernet plugged in computers?

Is this Wireless B/G/or N?

ok i did that. It only happens with wireless. Its Wireless-G I have Linksys Wireless-G model WRT54GS v. 6. Ive also updated the firmware as well.... so i dont need to do that. I just contacted a live support help.... they gave me some new settings to try out.. however... i have a feeling someone in my neigborhood might be stealing my internet as that was one of the issues i found online. a comcast guy came out to survey and took pictures around these three houses. and then i saw two comcast vans come down the street and turn around. how can i add a password to only let our household, or anyone who comes over to visit use the web?

• Root Admin

Though I can assist you with that it is probably better to contact Linksys support which is 24/7 and Free and live on the phone support.

I'm hopeful that it is a setting for you, but I had one of those that just did not like one of my client computers and every time it would hook up to the wireless router within minutes it would start acting just like you've explained. I finally bought a new router after doing every update and change I could think of including non authorized firmware updates but the problem persisted. Good luck and hopefully Linksys support can get it working for you again soon.

The router should also have come with an installation disk that has a Wizard to help you do it, there is also a User Manual that ships with it. You can download either from their Website as well.

Linksys.com