UtilityReadFile failed with error code 32

Fresh bootup, and I got that error at startup.

My protection module was disabled as a result. I re-checked enable protection and it's fine now, but just wondering what could have made this happen?

Here is my protection log:

12:11:20 ERROR UtilityReadFile failed with error code 32

12:11:20 MESSAGE Protection stopped

(below is when I re-enabled the protection module)

12:13:03 MESSAGE Protection started successfully

12:13:12 MESSAGE IP Protection started successfully

Please let me know if any other information is needed :(

Thanks Exile! :)

I'll let you guys know if it happens again. No biggie, I just wanted to report it. I hate losing my Mbam realtime protection, even if it's just for a few minutes ;):)

Same exact thing happened today ;)

10:25:00 ERROR UtilityReadFile failed with error code 32

10:25:00 MESSAGE Protection stopped

I've just re-enabled it again, but I am worried this might happen at every bootup since it happened two days in a row. :)

Well it did NOT happen again today, so I'll just be on the lookout for the occurance and post back here if it happens again.

Strange though that it happened two days in a row.

and again :lol:

21:06:48 ERROR UtilityReadFile failed with error code 32

21:06:48 MESSAGE Protection stopped

Oh and this is interesting. I didn't realize it until I was looking at today's log again, since I didn't use our computer today before just now:

(full protection log from today)

09:42:07 (null) MESSAGE Protection started successfully

09:42:33 (null) ERROR Scheduled update failed: WinHttpSendRequest failed with error code 12007

09:43:51 MESSAGE IP Protection started successfully

10:30:00 ERROR Scheduled update failed: WinHttpSendRequest failed with error code 12007

12:40:35 ERROR Scheduled update failed: WinHttpSendRequest failed with error code 12007

13:30:33 MESSAGE Scheduled update executed successfully

13:30:34 MESSAGE IP Protection stopped

13:31:05 MESSAGE Database updated successfully

13:31:08 MESSAGE IP Protection started successfully

21:06:48 ERROR UtilityReadFile failed with error code 32

21:06:48 MESSAGE Protection stopped

I am starting to think that this is something that happens every other bootup, since so far it happens every other time I turn the computer on from shut down.

Is there anything that can be done to diagnose the issue?

I am starting to think that this is something that happens every other bootup, since so far it happens every other time I turn the computer on from shut down.

Is there anything that can be done to diagnose the issue?

Do you have a onboot auto update schedule? I removed that a long time ago, since

it causes (sometimes) that error (XP).

With Windows 7 never seen this error probably to the fact MBAM's service is

started with a delay.

Sometimes the delete of the rules.ref helps (a while). Try it.

Also strange you haven't already been asked to clean and reinstall the program :)

@wijllie

No, I do not have an on-boot update schedule, at least not as far as I know. I update nearly everything on this machine manually, except for Malwarebytes , which I have an hourly update schedule set for, on the half hour of the hour. (FX updates by itself... if I don't discover the update first :))

The main issue here is it failing at start up sometimes.

It didn't happen today, and if it had happened, it would have been the every other time... so it seems to be mostly completely random. It's happened 3 times total now.

I know to delete rules.ref :lol: and I know I could do a clean install... believe me, I know how to do that, especially after beta testing beta for a while... I am no stranger to that :) I don't think that either one of those is the issue here. The updating thing that happened, deleting rules.ref would probably fix that no doubt, but that isn't my main concern.

It's just a bit frustrating when it fails at start-up. Yeah, I can re-enable protection after it fails (and I have been) but I'd just like to get to the bottom of the issue if possible. If it is not possible, I can live with it, but I would really like to get this figured out.

Thanks though :)

P.S, please try to use the add-reply button :)

@wijllie

No, I do not have an on-boot update schedule, at least not as far as I know. I update nearly everything on this machine manually, except for Malwarebytes , which I have an hourly update schedule set for, on the half hour of the hour. (FX updates by itself... if I don't discover the update first :))

The main issue here is it failing at start up sometimes.

It didn't happen today, and if it had happened, it would have been the every other time... so it seems to be mostly completely random. It's happened 3 times total now.

I know to delete rules.ref :lol: and I know I could do a clean install... believe me, I know how to do that, especially after beta testing beta for a while... I am no stranger to that :P I don't think that either one of those is the issue here. The updating thing that happened, deleting rules.ref would probably fix that no doubt, but that isn't my main concern.

It's just a bit frustrating when it fails at start-up. Yeah, I can re-enable protection after it fails (and I have been) but I'd just like to get to the bottom of the issue if possible. If it is not possible, I can live with it, but I would really like to get this figured out.

Thanks though :D

P.S, please try to use the add-reply button :lol:

Hi MTT

I didn't pushed the reply button because the reply was directly under your last post and to avoid all that quotes

posted over and over again. But if youn prefer it that way no problem :lol:

I pointed also a few times on this board to the httprequest and error32 annoyances but I didn't get better then a "clean and reinstall". Also support closed my "case" so I am stuck at this point. As you, I like also to solve problems and like to help with things I can help but it seems we have to wait till enough people complain and a update will fix the problems.

By the way, I received a patch from support which solved 3/4 of the update errors, I've heard one of this weeks a program update will be released, hopefully all those update errors are then solved and we can enjoy back the stabilty which 1.46 had.

Regards, wijllie.

@mountaintree:

The next time this happens, before you attempt to correct the problem by deleting rules.ref, updating, or anything else, please do the following so I can try to help you diagnose what's going on:

Create a Batch File:

• Please copy and paste the following text exactly as written into notepad (not wordpad or any other text editor):
    @color 48
    @echo off
    md "%userprofile%\desktop\MBAM DB Diag" 2>&1> nul
    if not exist "%programdata%" copy "%allusersprofile%\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\rules.ref" "%userprofile%\desktop\MBAM DB Diag" 2>&1> nul
    if exist "%programdata%" copy "%programdata%\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\rules.ref" "%userprofile%\desktop\MBAM DB Diag" 2>&1> nul
    if exist "%programfiles%\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware" reg query "HKLM\Software\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware" /v "dbdate">"%userprofile%\desktop\MBAM DB Diag\DB Info.txt" 2> nul
    if exist "%programfiles%\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware" reg query "HKLM\Software\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware" /v "dbversion">>"%userprofile%\desktop\MBAM DB Diag\DB Info.txt"
    if exist "%programfiles(x86)%\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware" reg query "HKLM\Software\Wow6432Node\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware" /v "dbdate">>"%userprofile%\desktop\MBAM DB Diag\DB Info.txt" 2> nul
    if exist "%programfiles(x86)%\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware" reg query "HKLM\Software\Wow6432Node\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware" /v "dbversion">>"%userprofile%\desktop\MBAM DB Diag\DB Info.txt" 2> nul
    del /f /q %0

Once you've done that click on File and select Save As...

• In the Save dialogue box click on the drop down menu next to Save as type and select All Files
  • Name the file DB Diag.bat (the .bat extension is very important)
  • Save the file to your desktop and double click it to run it.
  • Once it completes you'll have a new folder on your desktop called MBAM DB Diag, please right-click on that folder and hover your mouse over Send To and select Compressed (zipped) Folder
  • Attach the MBAM DB Diag.zip file you just created to your next reply

• 4 weeks later...

Here you go Exile :D

Just so you know what I did, I deleted rules.ref after creating the attached zip folder, and re-downloaded the database when prompted, so as not to be w/o my Mbam protection for very long :D

Yep, that's a 0KB file, meaning it didn't actually download it. Most likely a connection timing out. Please let me know if it happens more than once as it did before and I'll PM you a special network diagnostic tool (I won't post it here because the log will expose your IP address, something that should not be posted in public).

• 3 weeks later...

Exile,

I think that Mbam crashed on me last week, and it definitely did today (same error).

I know you said we'd only try the diagnostic if it happened twice in a row like it did before. However I was wondering if we could try that diagnostic you were talking about.

It doesn't bother me too much, I can deal with it and easily re-activate it, but if possible I would like to figure out what the issue is.

I also thought that it might be helpful to figure it out if this was happening to someone else on occasion as well.

Let me know :D No hurries though.