Having problems installing and using Malwareytes'Anti-Malware

Hello Mainard,

Rules.ref = 5766kb and deleted

Starting mbam again and still the same message

The message is in Dutch.

Translated: Your database version will not be supported by this version of Malwarebytes' Anti-malware.

Download and install the latest version of our program.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Let's run a chkdsk to ensure your computer is not having any problems.

Step One: Open "My Computer", RIGHT click on the C drive icon, choose "Properties".

Step Two: When that loads, click on the "Tools" tab, then click on the "Check Now" button in the "Error Checking" section.

Step Three: When that little window loads, place a CHECK in BOTH boxes, then click on "Start Now".

Step Four: A message will pop up saying that Error Checking will run after you restart the computer, so......Restart the computer. Error Checking will run automatically after the restart and it locks you out from doing anything until it's finished. It takes a little time to perform the task but after it's finished, it will restart into Windows automatically.

After this lets run a scannow sfc tool

Step one: Start->Run

Step two: Type: sfc.exe /scannow

Let me know the results then we can move on from there.

Thank you!

Hello Piet12,

Please Download OTL to your Desktop:

To Perform OTL:

http://oldtimer.geekstogo.com/OTL.exe
Double click on the icon to run it. Make sure all other windows are closed and to let it run uninterrupted.
OTL should now start. Change the following settings
Change Drivers to All
Change Standard Registry to All
Under File Scans, change File age to 30
Click the Run Scan button. Do not change any settings unless otherwise told to do so. The scan wont take long.
When the scan completes, it will open two notepad windows. OTL.Txt and Extras.Txt (first run only). These are saved in the same location as OTL.
Please attach these 2 files in your next reply.

Thank you!

Hello Piet12,

Please go to: MemTest86

Download an ISO or a USB key image. Set your computer to boot from the device chosen (ISO = boot from CD or USB = boot from USB port)

I recommend downloading the USB Key (You will need a USB Flash Drive for this) Download the file, extract the contents of the zipped file. Run the auto-installer (NOTE: This will delete the contents on the flash drive, please back up all the files you have already on the drive before doing this.) Check the check box to format the flash drive. Click Create. Then follow these steps:

• Start EeePC, press F2 and enter BIOS. Use the arrow keys to get to the Boot Tab.
  • Set USB device to be first boot device in Boot Device Priority menu. Save and Exit after you have set this.
    Note: After setting your USB device as the first boot device, your computer will check it for boot information each time your PC starts. Leaving your computer configured this way shouldn't cause problems unless you plan on leaving the USB device attached all the time. (set Hard Drive to the top of the priority list [this is the default])
  • Attach the USB device to your computer via any available USB port.
  • Restart your computer.

Please run this test around 5 times to ensure to get a good read for the memory test.

Please respond with the results of the memtest, if you have any questions please feel free to post.

Hello Mainard,

I have tried al possible methods I can think of.

I have got a usb stick 4GB with the memtest you suggested (usb key).

And changed the boot sequence to 1 removable device, 2 harddisk, 3 CD-ROM

The cdrom isn't available in a eeepc.

I tried al 3 usb ports with no succes.

But the pc boots every time again from hdd.

Have you got an other suggestion for me, what more I can do?

Thanks.

Hello Mainard,

5 passes no errors.

Seems to have no problem with memory.

The easiest way for this problem is a fresh install of Windows I think.

Don't you agree?

But it's a very interesting problem.......

What to do next?

Thanks again for al your help and perseverance.

Piet12,

Let's try and see what is running on your computer.

Please follow these instructions and reply with both reports please:

Download DDS and save it to your desktop from one of these links:

http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/sUBs/dds.scr

http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/sUBs/dds.com

Disable any script blocker, and then double click dds.scr (or .com depending on which you

Hello Piet12, hope you are having a great start to a new year!

Which AV are you currently using?

Can you start MBAM while in Safe mode?

**TO START YOUR COMPUTER IN SAFE MODE**

Restart your computer.

After turning on your computer during startup, but before the Windows icon appears, start pressing the F8 key.

In some systems, this may be the F5 key.

Instead of Windows loading as normal, a menu should appear.

Use the up arrow key to highlight Safe Mode with Networking and press 'Enter'.

Please try to run MBAM normally in safe mode and please let me know whether you can or cannot.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Mainard,

I have tried it in the safe mode early-er in the process.

Without success.

Because of problems with Malwarebytes......... I have removed my AV (Panda with License).

Someone suggested it, but also without success.

I would like to thank you very much for al your help.

But I would like to finish trying.

When I find the time I will reinstall win xp.

Thanks again en best regards,

Hello again piet12!

chkdsk doesn't always fix all errors in one shot, and sometimes not at all if the corruption is too bad.

Sometimes it needs 3 or 4 runs and even then, sometimes it still doesn't fix it completely. The HDD could be on its way out too.

Perhaps running the chkdsk a couple more times before you attempt a complete OS reinstall.

Hope it helps, let me know which direction you are taking.

Thank you very much.

Piet12,

Could you please delete your rules.ref file. It should be located within the directory: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware

• You may need to enable hidden folder view, When you open my computer click Tools->Folder Options. Under the View Tab where it says: Hidden files and folders: Click the radio button to 'Show hidden files and folders'. Click 'Apply' then 'OK'.

After you delete the file rules.ref please restart MBAM.

If you receive the prompt again, please upload your rules.ref file in your next post.

Thank you!

Piet12,

Can I get another OTL report from you please?

Please Download OTL to your Desktop:

To Use OTL:

http://oldtimer.geekstogo.com/OTL.exe
Double click on the icon to run it. Make sure all other windows are closed and to let it run uninterrupted.
OTL should now start. Change the following settings
Change Drivers to All
Change Standard Registry to All
Under File Scans, change File age to 30
Click the Run Scan button. Do not change any settings unless otherwise told to do so. The scan wont take long.
When the scan completes, it will open two notepad windows. OTL.Txt and Extras.Txt (first run only). These are saved in the same location as OTL.
Please attach these 2 files in your next reply.

IF OTL still is not working on your system please:

Create an Autoruns Log:

• Please download Sysinternals Autoruns from here and save it to your desktop.
    • Note: If using Windows Vista or Windows 7 then you also need to do the following:
      1. Right-click on Autoruns.exe and select Properties
      2. Click on the Compatibility tab
      3. Under Privilege Level check the box next to Run this program as an administrator
      4. Click on Apply then click OK

[*]Double-click Autoruns.exe to run it.

[*]Once it starts, please press the Esc key on your keyboard.

[*]Now that scanning is stopped, click on the Options button at the top of the program and select Verify Code Signatures so that it is now checked

[*]Click on the Options button again and this time uncheck Hide Microsoft and Windows Entries

[*]Once that's done press the F5 key on your keyboard, this will start the scan again, this time let it finish.

[*]When it's finished and says Ready. on the lower left of the program window, please click on the File button at the top of the program and select Save and save the Autoruns.arn file to your desktop and close Autoruns.

[*]Right click on the Autoruns.arn file on your desktop and hover your mouse over Send To and select Compressed (zipped) Folder

[*]Attach the Autoruns.zip folder you just created to your next reply

Thank you Piet12, I really want to get this resolved for you!

Hey Piet12,

You said you uninstalled your Panda Sercurity, please follow this link Here This tool should completely remove the remnants of Panda, please let me know if you are then able to run MBAM after using the tool.

Thank you!

Hello Mainard,

yes I did.

Panda is now completely removed but Mbam stil pops up with database version problem.

So I also removed Mbam with software uninstall.

Rebooted.

Did mbam-clean and reboot.

Installed mbam again with auto update.... but during the update ..... again the database version problem.. :huh::P

Thanks again,

I know you are getting excellent help from Mainard......

I just wanted to ask one question, is your system date and time correct on your computer?

I have seen some anti-virus software do this due to the computer being on the wrong date....

EDIT:

Nevermind, I download one of your logs and it shows the right date (although its a different format than mine)....

Let's use OTL to clean that up.

Please:

• Run OTL.exe
  • Under Custom Scans/Fixes post the following script:

:OTL
DRV - [2009-05-20 16:44:42 | 000,016,648 | ---- | M] (Panda Security, S.L.) [Kernel | On_Demand | Stopped] -- C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\RkPavproc1.sys -- (RkPavproc1)

:Commands
[emptytemp]