Malwarebytes' Pro 1.5 and Avast Free v 5.0677

About 2 days ago I went PRO with Malwarebytes' after having enjoyed it's free version for years. Looking good!

There is one tremendous big setback though and that is the browsing speed has gone down considerably since installing Malwarebytes' PRO. It's so bad that it really, really bothers me.

I know it's not Avast but perhaps it's the combination of the 2 not playing nice together? :D

On Avast I have the following protective Shields running:

File System

Mail

Web

Network (have 1 computer only)

Behavior

On MBAM I have everything ticked on the Protection page.

My question is: What should be disabled in MBAM to bring my browsing speed back to prior the installation of MBAM?

Specs: Win XP Home, 2.5 RAM, P4

I also have WOT on my 3 browsers with SpywareBlaster. SuperAntiSpyware on demand scanner. PC Tools FW Plus v 7.

Thank you in advance for any solution and advice.

PS: I really would not like to revert back to MBAM on demand scanner only and having thrown my $$ away by having acquired the PRO version.

A way to test if your browsing speed is being hindered without disabling PRO you can uncheck the website blocking option. By: right clicking in your system tray the Anti-Malware Icon and deselect the Website Blocking Option.

post-60618-1291401989_thumb.png

You can then Select within the Protection tab to deselect the 'Start malicious website blocking when protection module starts. This will disable the website blocking option each time you start-up your MBAM.

post-60618-1291401408_thumb.png

See if this is works for you and let me know.

Hope this helps. You can always revert these changes.

I recommend to try and temporarily disable PC Tools FW Plus v 7. Then turn back on web-site blocking for MBAM. Some firewalls cannot be disabled after it has been launched it may need to be disabled from starting up on your system. Please try this and get back to me.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Maynard,

Sorry it took so long to get back to you, was away from home.

I did take your latest advice to temporarily shut down the PC Tools Plus Free FW v 7 and enabled MBAM website blocking. I did substitute the XP Windows firewall in the meantime of course.

To my surprise the browsing experience is almost lighting fast. So there must be something in that perhaps the new PC Tools Plus 7 is the culprit? Their new version 7 came out around the time that I downloaded the Pro version of MBAM. Since their previous version 6 ran smoothly and fast I assumed that their new version would do the same.

What would be the best way to handle the above? Windows XP Firewall is not so good and I really like PC Tools as it is a virtual non chatting FW.

I'm looking forward to your answer for the best solution and thank you in advance.

What would be the best way to handle the above? Windows XP Firewall is not so good and I really like PC Tools as it is a virtual non chatting FW.
Sorry some additional info:

I can't see in the PC Tools Free FW v 7 any way to exclude items in case that would be necessary.

Thank you.

Hi Mainard!

When I read your last post I was copying halfway the info and had to leave due to supper ready. Now I came back and poof!! all the pics and explanations have gone. Therefore have been unable to do anything yet. Are you testing what you posted initially?

Thank you. I'm looking forward to your answer and the results of your testing.

I initially tested on Anti-Virus, not Firewall.

Here is how you will ignore both programs from each other:

For your Anti-Virus:

Step1: Click on the Applications Tab, then Click the green Plus Icon to Add the Applications

post-60618-1292286438_thumb.png

Step 2: Locate the file paths: C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.exe

C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe

C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe

Add Each of them So that your application should look something like:

post-60618-1292286445_thumb.png

Now for MBAM:

Step 1: Run MBAM and Click on the 'Ignore List' Tab. Click Add and Find your PC tools Firewall Plus Folder

the path should look like:

post-60618-1292286455_thumb.png

Step 2: click OK and your MBAM should have this added to the ignore:

post-60618-1292286471_thumb.png

Let me know how this works for you.

Again, thank you very much for your patience!

Hi Mainard,

Yes, I did exactly what you have shown in your last post. However, I do have a doubt here and that is:

For your Anti-Virus:

Step1: Click on the Applications Tab, then Click the green Plus Icon to Add the Applications

As you notice, PC Tools Firewall Plus is a Firewall and not an Antivirus.

To allow MBAM in PC Tools means that MBAM is allowed to run and is therefore not an exclusion?

Difference in browsing is not much and some pages take a lot more time, compared to what I noticed when running the Windows XP Firewall.

Thank you.