Pc is slowing down even after weekly maintaince by 3 proffesional programs.

post-50166-1291386236_thumb.jpgGood afternoon people,

I've got a curious question. I've got this pc for about 3,5 years now. I use it for downloading music, mixing music, school, and entertainment basicly. I use it daily. Now, i've changed back to vista a while ago. No problems. I do not suggest that vista or my downloadings are the problem but my pc is getting slower with opening basic program as internet, microsoft word, this computer, C disc etc. I run scans often. After running with a payed version of Avira, used ALL funtions of the new payed version of Tuneup Utilities and running the complete scan of the free MBAM, these problems still ocur.

Another detail that I dont understand if the defragmentation of Tune-up. He did the complete C drive but when I saw the result, it looks like it was better before the defrag then after?? I've added the result as a picture to see for yourself. It is in Dutch but I think that the most wise people here use Tuneup themselves so they still understand it.

I've also added 2 pics about programs that show the main problem. Funny that avira wouldnt work and after i made a 'prt sc' and wanted to save it on paint, paint also refused to work... lolz

To formule the problem: Everything does work but needs till 10-15 seconds to work. It are mainly things on the pc itself but also internetsites. I'm sure it are not the sites itselfs that need to load but its internet explorer itself. I have to close and restart the program like 2 times before I can use it in a proper way.

Sorry for the confusing explanation and the language problem.

post-50166-1291386283_thumb.jpg

ps: The 3 programs I use to keep my pc as clean and fast as possible are all legal payed versions. (Still gotta buy the Malware full version but the working of is isnt different. It only got some nice extra features did someone told me here)

I can show the recent scan results of Avira and the Malware bytes log. Both are in the most updated shape. I use the rule of closing all other programs when scanning almost everything that i'm doing this maintaince on my pc.

Offcourse, there could things here that i'm not aware of. The solution could be simple, the solution could be difficult, but at least i'm doing what I can to keep 'my mate' as fast as possible and for howfar it can, infection/malware/virus free :D

If you are using a Tuneup utility that could be your problem. Some of these programs include a "registry cleaner" which can do more harm than good and a "tuneup" can be easily done yourself because you really only need to do a disc cleanup and a defrag regularly. I use Ccleaner as it works very well for me and i do not touch the registry cleaner!

You may also want to run chkdsk.

Have you prevented unnecessary programs from starting up? That will have a large impact on your boot speed.

post-50166-1291386236_thumb.jpgGood afternoon people,

I've got a curious question. I've got this pc for about 3,5 years now. ... my pc is getting slower with opening basic program as internet, microsoft word, this computer, C disc etc. I run scans often. ...

Another detail that I dont understand if the defragmentation of Tune-up. ...

To formule the problem: Everything does work but needs till 10-15 seconds to work. It are mainly things on the pc itself but also internetsites. I'm sure it are not the sites itselfs that need to load but its internet explorer itself. I have to close and restart the program like 2 times before I can use it in a proper way.

Edited post ... I agree with < goldhound > -- all the advanced tech users and gurus I rely upon as tutors suggest not to use registry cleaner software applications or features. The probability is high that registry cleaner software mis-reads the registry and deletes valid entries (a database of instructions computers need ) that multiple programs / applications need guide their functions.

Registry cleaner software applications and features, such as the one included in Tune-up, use a batch approach to perform their "cleaning" duties. Due to the history of computers i.e. DOS etc., and complexity of the Registry, I have learned the best case practice to editing Registry contents is on a line-by-line, case-by-case basis IMHO. Before downloading and using PC utility software particularly I read and research their functions, conflicts, Tech support forums, professional and user reviews -- before jumping in without an exit plan and recovery strategy if a problem were to occur.

Further, I always back-up my system, create a recovery point and < Export > the Registry to make a full copy of it -- all before making any changes. I do not use

Registry cleaner applications nor features in other software utilities on my systems.

As to the browser you use, Internet Explorer: I personally prefer Fire Fox and Chrome and as a fun but still beta version, Opera. I would as a matter of

house keeping delete Internet Explorer from my Win 7 rigs, except again due to the complexity of the Registry and the history of computers -- I suspect there is program code carried in the Registry for Internet Explorer that other applications especially browser and browser-based ones also use. So, Internet Explorer remains on my hard drive.

I learned best practices and all of this information primarily online. There are numerous reliable and informative sources such as tech site forums -- like this one -- and <youtube.com> videos from techs especially such as Britec09 etc. (Search: Win 7 or PC tweaks, tips or hacks.) The rule of thumb I use to determine if a suggestion is valid is when 3 or more of my sources agree on the same or similar approach to an issue. It's a learning process.

Edited post ... I agree with < goldhound > -- all the advanced tech users and gurus I rely upon as tutors suggest not to use registry cleaner software applications or features. The probability is high that registry cleaner software mis-reads the registry and deletes valid entries (a database of instructions computers need ) that multiple programs / applications need guide their functions.

Registry cleaner software applications and features, such as the one included in Tune-up, use a batch approach to perform their "cleaning" duties. Due to the history of computers i.e. DOS etc., and complexity of the Registry, I have learned the best case practice to editing Registry contents is on a line-by-line, case-by-case basis IMHO. Before downloading and using PC utility software particularly I read and research their functions, conflicts, Tech support forums, professional and user reviews -- before jumping in without an exit plan and recovery strategy if a problem were to occur.

Further, I always back-up my system, create a recovery point and < Export > the Registry to make a full copy of it -- all before making any changes. I do not use

Registry cleaner applications nor features in other software utilities on my systems.

As to the browser you use, Internet Explorer: I personally prefer Fire Fox and Chrome and as a fun but still beta version, Opera. I would as a matter of

house keeping delete Internet Explorer from my Win 7 rigs, except again due to the complexity of the Registry and the history of computers -- I suspect there is program code carried in the Registry for Internet Explorer that other applications especially browser and browser-based ones also use. So, Internet Explorer remains on my hard drive.

I learned best practices and all of this information primarily online. There are numerous reliable and informative sources such as tech site forums -- like this one -- and <youtube.com> videos from techs especially such as Britec09 etc. (Search: Win 7 or PC tweaks, tips or hacks.) The rule of thumb I use to determine if a suggestion is valid is when 3 or more of my sources agree on the same or similar approach to an issue. It's a learning process.

I understand and admire your critical look up on this. I'm like that in almost everything in my life. I do not take something right away before I know what it really does and how to use it at his best. But, I don't got the time and the knowledge to dig into the pc world and to look for myself how programs are buildup and whats really behind those professional looking interface. Everye expert, how small or how big, got his own advice and uses his own favourite programs you know. How is it ever possible for someone like me, who basically don't know anything about the deeper subjects to decide whats good and whats bad?

Same stuff with anti virus. A while ago i've searched to the ultimate anti virus available. Checked hundreds of internet sites, alot of tests etc. NOD 32 seems th

@ OP : you mentioned changing back to vista ... what did you have before ?

personally speaking , vista is bloated and slow ... that is one reason that uncle bill told the boys to get hot on W7 and cut short the life of vista .

XP is fairly good and fast (better than vista ever hoped to be) , W7 is faster than vista and in some ways faster than XP .

you are right about the large number of supposed "this program is the greatest at keeping your pc fast" ... many are not truthful , many flat lie and many are bogus .

and ... "too many cooks spoil the broth" . you can have programs that fight one another or are redundant , this will slow a machine down .

i do not run any of those "pc tuneup" utilities and similar things ... i use "ccleaner" and "little registry cleaner" (do not use this one if you do not know what you are doing) . my antivirus/firewall is avg internet security 2011 .

i look at what is running in the background and turn off what is not needed ... automatic stuff such as java updates , java quick starter , windows updates , adobe reader updates , photoshop gamma loader , open office quick starter , etc . i can update my programs all by myself , thank you very much . :(

oh yeah ... cold starting "open office" or "photoshop" takes less than 5 seconds .

if you cut out the fat , things have a chance of running faster ... every little bit helps .

if you keep loading stuff on the wagon the horse is not going to be able to pull it as fast .

the facts are the facts : your computer has slowed down , even with all the "fancy fixes" .

one possible reason for this is the fact that anti-virus/anti-malware programs have had to become "bigger" in order to do their job ... and some of these are not as well written as others ... bloated and inefficient = slow .

even with well written code the sheer number of items in the list and things that need to be done is going to take some horsepower ... more than was required 3 years ago .

the same is true for many programs ... they do more stuff but this comes at the expense of needing horsepower .

maybe i missed it ... what are the specs of your computer ?

post-50166-1291511091_thumb.jpgpost-50166-1291511067_thumb.jpg

@ OP : you mentioned changing back to vista ... what did you have before ?

personally speaking , vista is bloated and slow ... that is one reason that uncle bill told the boys to get hot on W7 and cut short the life of vista .

XP is fairly good and fast (better than vista ever hoped to be) , W7 is faster than vista and in some ways faster than XP .

you are right about the large number of supposed "this program is the greatest at keeping your pc fast" ... many are not truthful , many flat lie and many are bogus .

and ... "too many cooks spoil the broth" . you can have programs that fight one another or are redundant , this will slow a machine down .

i do not run any of those "pc tuneup" utilities and similar things ... i use "ccleaner" and "little registry cleaner" (do not use this one if you do not know what you are doing) . my antivirus/firewall is avg internet security 2011 .

i look at what is running in the background and turn off what is not needed ... automatic stuff such as java updates , java quick starter , windows updates , adobe reader updates , photoshop gamma loader , open office quick starter , etc . i can update my programs all by myself , thank you very much . :(

oh yeah ... cold starting "open office" or "photoshop" takes less than 5 seconds .

if you cut out the fat , things have a chance of running faster ... every little bit helps .

if you keep loading stuff on the wagon the horse is not going to be able to pull it as fast .

the facts are the facts : your computer has slowed down , even with all the "fancy fixes" .

one possible reason for this is the fact that anti-virus/anti-malware programs have had to become "bigger" in order to do their job ... and some of these are not as well written as others ... bloated and inefficient = slow .

even with well written code the sheer number of items in the list and things that need to be done is going to take some horsepower ... more than was required 3 years ago .

the same is true for many programs ... they do more stuff but this comes at the expense of needing horsepower .

maybe i missed it ... what are the specs of your computer ?

I've had vista when it was just out there but allot of problems occur arround me. In order to keep my ass clean i've decided to get it back to XP, done by someone else. i've made it 'legal' with an rigister code that i've got from him. But after some years something happend and I couldn't get any help because I had a illegal version of XP. And it felt like it was time to get my ass back to 100% legal software, so also vista because some of the beginning problems seems solved. I've heard that W7 is way better and I can easily get myself a (legal) version from a friend but just like I said above here, its al a money question. Every one has his own look on how to maintaince the pc and what to use for it. Its not that I dont want to learn but.. its so confusion these days.

good deal on getting legit . life and comps are better when you do not have to be "looking over your shoulder" . ;)

you mentioned that going to W7 would not be a problem ... you might seriously consider doing this .

many of the more commonly used programs have been "re-hashed" to be compatible with W7 .

barring the knowledge of your system specs , you might want to check at the MS site for the "can you run W7 on your system" tool before purchasing a copy (assuming you have not checked already , the language the results are in is not my native tongue) .

i did notice that the cpu is 1.8 GHz ... that is a little on the slow side these days .

2 gig of ram ... with a 32 bit system 3 gigs is about all windows can address ... this would help a little .

it is not clear to me if your cpu and MB are capable of supporting a 64 bit OS (although W7 is available in 32 bit) .

that asides , i would personally recommend a full wipe and clean install ... not an "upgrade" .