Still No Incremental Updates with MBAM v.1.50

I'm very disappointed to see that MBAM v. 1.50 still doesn't include a feature for incremental updates. There are several posts in the Comments and Suggestions section of the main Malwarebytes' forum where users have requested this feature, and forum administrators were promising that incremental updates could be included with the v. 1.46 release as far back as March 2010 (see one such post here).

I have a dial-up Internet connection and downloading the daily ~ 6 MB update for MBAM takes 15 to 20 minutes. Even the daily updates for my Norton Internet Security 2011 suite are faster than this. I have a full (paid) version of MBAM and I can't use the real-time protection feature because I would use up a huge chunk of the connect-time hours that come bundled with my dial-up plan if I had to update MBAM daily.

On the bright side, I ran a Quick Scan today with MBAM v. 1.50 and it ran much faster than the v. 1.46 scan, so kudos to Malwarebytes for that.

_______

MS Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit SP2 * NIS 2011 v. 18.1.0.37 * MBAM v. 1.50

HP Pavilion dv6835ca, Intel Core2Duo CPU T5550 @ 1.83 GHz, 3.0 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8400 GS

I'm very disappointed to see that MBAM v. 1.50 still doesn't include a feature for incremental updates.

I have a dial-up Internet connection and downloading the daily ~ 6 MB update for MBAM takes 15 to 20 minutes.

Incremental updates may not be the answer you are hoping for; or as you expect..

The way it is now; if you update once a day; you can update from 5225 to 5233 in ONE 6 meg download.

With incremental updates..

And you update once a day; it will update the incremental changes from 5225 to 5226, then 5226 to 5227, then 5227 to 5228, then 5228 to 5229, then 5229 to 5300, then 5330 to 5231, then 5231 to 5232, and finally 5232 to 5233.. And each increment unloads MBAM (I think), adds/deletes to the database; optimizes, reloads MBAM.. FOR EACH INCREMENTAL UPDATE.. In the long term, which is faster??

Still want it?? :D

~Shy

ShyWriter:

Sorry for the confusion. By incremental updates, I meant a feature such as Norton Internet Security's Pulse Updates. NIS users have the option of running both full updates and pulse updates. Pulse Updates are lighter and faster than full updates and will only deliver signatures for new threats discovered in between full updates. The only caveat is that NIS users must have automatic updates enabled on their machine to ensure that full updates are delivered on a regular basis.

I agree with you. I wouldn't want incremental updates if that meant having to download every single version of the full database in succession.

_______

MS Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit SP2 * NIS 2011 v. 18.1.0.37 * MBAM v. 1.50

HP Pavilion dv6835ca, Intel Core2Duo CPU T5550 @ 1.83 GHz, 3.0 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8400 GS

ShyWriter:

Sorry for the confusion. By incremental updates, I meant a feature such as Norton Internet Security's Pulse Updates. NIS users have the option of running both full updates and pulse updates. Pulse Updates are lighter and faster than full updates and will only deliver signatures for new threats discovered in between full updates. The only caveat is that NIS users must have automatic updates enabled on their machine to ensure that full updates are delivered on a regular basis.

I agree with you. I wouldn't want incremental updates if that meant having to download every single version of the full database in succession.

Ahh.. NOW I understand.. Mea culpa; sorry that I misunderstood your original request. Just me sticking my nose in where I didn't belong. I have a bad habit of doing that.. :(

My apologies for my misunderstanding - I agree with the way you said/explained it. For dial-up users (or low-bandwidth or charge-by-the-minute) that would be an EXCELLENT idea. Hope it makes it into the next release. :)

~Shy

Hi ShyWriter:

No need to apologize. That what user forums are for - 99.9% of the problems posted here wouldn't ever get solved if people weren't throwing out ideas and opinions.

You've got me worried now. I sure hope Malwarebytes' uses the same definition of "incremental" as I do or I might end up in worse shape than I'm already in. :(

Hi ShyWriter:

No need to apologize. That what user forums are for - 99.9% of the problems posted here wouldn't ever get solved if people weren't throwing out ideas and opinions.

You've got me worried now. I sure hope Malwarebytes' uses the same definition of "incremental" as I do or I might end up in worse shape than I'm already in. :)

Thank you sir! Well; Malwarebytes is a group of one sharp cookie(s).. I'm old school.. well. who am I kidding.. I'm plain old. :( I don't use NORTON and until you explained it to me, I had no idea of what pulsar updating, in that context, was. I'm more inclined to believe Malwarebytes is thinking incremental the same way you are. :lol: And I'm thinking the way it was 10-15 years ago.

Maybe we can get a definitive answer from one of the developers that frequent the Forums infrequently; last resort is always a PM to an ADMIN.. Click MY ASSISTANT in upper right; click on MODERATING TEAM; The ADMINS are the top group listed.. Swandog is probably your best bet if he has time to answer you.

Regards (and I have no affiliation with Malwarebytes other than as a satisfied, paid-license user. :P)

~Steve

• Staff

We certainly understand your frustration because it is a feature that would benefit many people (myself included!), but please bear with us as we continue to develop the infrastructure necessary to deliver incremental updates to you all.

Here is (I believe) the most recent comment from our developer Doug:

Regarding a time-frame for incremental updates, we are working on the infrastructure needed to support this as we speak. I am to have it completed for the next major (i.e. non-bugfix) release of the software, hopefully in a few months.

Please let us know if there's anything we can do for you in the interim.