MBAM_UPDATE_ERROR(5,0, CreateFile) 1.46 to 1.50

When attempting to update to latest, downloads a 5 MB file and then attempts to download a 7 MB file. The 7 MB download cycles unsuccessfully 3 times and then generates the following error message:

An error has occurred. Please report this error code to our support team.

MBAM_ERROR_UPDATING (5,0,CreateFile)

Access is denied.

Windows 7 PC with firewall, etc. turned off.

Does not upgrade to 1.5.

What other Security software are you using? Firewall? AV program, It may be you need to put some Malwarebytes files in trust with your other software? regards...

Just running Windows Firewall which I turned off and then rebooted PC with it turned off thinking this could be a source of the error. Unfortunately, this did not do the trick.

Please try the following to see if it helps: and report back and let us know....regards....

Windows XP:

• Click on Start and select Control Panel
  • Open Add/Remove Programs
  • Uninstall Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  • Restart your computer very important
  • Download and run mbam-clean.exe from here
  • NOTE: If you get SHGetValue failed with error code 0, that only means that the tool has nothing to perform, continue on with the next step....
  • It will ask to restart your computer, please allow it to do so very important
  • After the computer restarts, temporarily disable your Anti-Virus and install the latest version of Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from here
    • Note: You will need to reactivate the program using the license you were sent via email if using the Pro version
    • Launch the program and set the Protection and Registration. Then go to the UPDATE tab if not done during installation and check for updates.
      Restart the computer again and verify that MBAM is in the task tray if using the Pro version. Now setup any file exclusions as may be required in your Anti-Virus/Internet-Security/Firewall applications and restart your Anti-Virus/Internet-Security applications. You may use the guides posted in the FAQ's here or ask me and I'll explain how to do it.

Windows Vista and Windows 7:

[*]Click on the Start vista-7-start.png button and select Control Panel

[*]Click on Programs and Features

[*]Uninstall Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware

[*]Restart your computer very important

[*]Download and run mbam-clean.exe from here

[*] NOTE: If you get SHGetValue failed with error code 0, that only means that the tool has nothing to perform, continue on with the next step....

[*]It will ask to restart your computer, please allow it to do so very important

[*]After the computer restarts, temporarily disable your Anti-Virus and install the latest version of Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from here

[*]Note: You will need to reactivate the program using the license you were sent via email if using the Pro version

[*]Launch the program and set the Protection and Registration. Then go to the UPDATE tab if not done during installation and check for updates.

Restart the computer again and verify that MBAM is in the task tray if using the Pro version. Now setup any file exclusions as may be required in your Anti-Virus/Internet-Security/Firewall applications and restart your Anti-Virus/Internet-Security applications. You may use the guides posted in the FAQ's here or ask me and I'll explain how to do it.

Just running Windows Firewall which I turned off and then rebooted PC with it turned off thinking this could be a source of the error. Unfortunately, this did not do the trick

You should be running a Anti Virus program, example: Avira, Avast, are both free.. Or Microsoft Security Essentials which provide real time AV protection... regards....

You should be running a Anti Virus program, example: Avira, Avast, are both free.. Or Microsoft Security Essentials which provide real time AV protection... regards....

Let me rephrase, was running Norton but had turned it off as well.

Uninstalling and reinstalling did the trick, however it is disappointing that this was required.

Just for giggles and the desire to find better anti-virus protection, I looked into Avast. THIS PRODUCT SHOULD NOT BE RECOMMENDED BY ANYONE WHO IS SERIOUS ABOUT INTERNET SECURITY AND I AM APPALLED IT WAS RECOMMENDED ON THIS SITE BY SUPPORT PERSONNEL. The 'free" download asked for my email address and could only be completed if I participated in any of a variety of scams. Such crap is the best way to get identy theft, viruses, malware, etc. What a joke!

I would like to let you know that there are lots of users using 1 out of 3 of those programs... asking for an email, is for notification of a major update. - or some news of a trojan out there. If you look back in the forums, you will find the three I listed, are RECOMMENDED by Malwarebytes....

It may look simple, but it is a strong program, This site will post no scams... At any rate, Glad your all fixed up. Feel free to browse the forum. Let us know if we can do anything else for you..... best regards.... ;)