Due to inclement weather in Southwest Florida, our Clearwater support team is offline. Our other offices are available to assist you, however their responses may be delayed. We appreciate your patience and understanding during this time. ×

Update fails with new 1.50

I noticed in my log that the realtime 10 minute update suddenly stopped after a few checks.

So I rebooted the computer to reset and now I get this message because I have a scheduled

update on reboot:

18:42:32 Pierre ERROR Scheduled update failed: WinHttpSendRequest failed with error code 12007

It seems the program fails sometimes to do updates in realtime and with the scheduled ones.

Local problem or MBAM server problem?

Please try the following to see if it helps:

Windows XP:

• Click on Start and select Control Panel
  • Open Add/Remove Programs
  • Uninstall Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  • Restart your computer very important
  • Download and run mbam-clean.exe from here
  • NOTE: If you get SHGetValue failed with error code 0, that only means that the tool has nothing to perform, continue on with the next step....
  • It will ask to restart your computer, please allow it to do so very important
  • After the computer restarts, temporarily disable your Anti-Virus and install the latest version of Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from here
    • Note: You will need to reactivate the program using the license you were sent via email if using the Pro version
    • Launch the program and set the Protection and Registration. Then go to the UPDATE tab if not done during installation and check for updates.
      Restart the computer again and verify that MBAM is in the task tray if using the Pro version. Now setup any file exclusions as may be required in your Anti-Virus/Internet-Security/Firewall applications and restart your Anti-Virus/Internet-Security applications. You may use the guides posted in the FAQ's here or ask me and I'll explain how to do it.

Windows Vista and Windows 7:

[*]Click on the Start vista-7-start.png button and select Control Panel

[*]Click on Programs and Features

[*]Uninstall Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware

[*]Restart your computer very important

[*]Download and run mbam-clean.exe from here

[*] NOTE: If you get SHGetValue failed with error code 0, that only means that the tool has nothing to perform, continue on with the next step....

[*]It will ask to restart your computer, please allow it to do so very important

[*]After the computer restarts, temporarily disable your Anti-Virus and install the latest version of Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from here

[*]Note: You will need to reactivate the program using the license you were sent via email if using the Pro version

[*]Launch the program and set the Protection and Registration. Then go to the UPDATE tab if not done during installation and check for updates.

Restart the computer again and verify that MBAM is in the task tray if using the Pro version. Now setup any file exclusions as may be required in your Anti-Virus/Internet-Security/Firewall applications and restart your Anti-Virus/Internet-Security applications. You may use the guides posted in the FAQ's here or ask me and I'll explain how to do it.

OK, uninstalled, cleaned, installed and updated. Registered and scheduled.

Now waiting and check the log.

By the way, the uninstall feature of MBAM is sloppy and should definatly be redesigned.

In my doc and settings/user and all users as in program files

still were a bunch of files and directory's.

A uninstall shouldn't miss those and delete them all (yes I've seen quite a few programs which do this nicely)

Just a note...

Tonight or tomorrow I'll post the results, I hope I don't have to do this on my 5 other computers with mbam pro on it..

After the reinstall and setting up again the scheduled updates on boot and realtime no

checks are seen in the log. So now it completely seems to stop updating. Strange.

Even affter a reboot. Now I deleted all scheduled scans and updates, restarted and made only new ones to

update, no scheduled scans. The log shows starting up the protections but no sign of realtime or onboot scheduled

updates there. So I don't know if the scheduled updates are working or only the log which fails. It seems to me (but I may be wrong) that this has something to do because there aren't scheduled scans setup. I wait a while and if still no logs I try to setup scheduled scans again to see if that's the cause.

We leave those folders behind deliberately. They contain scan logs, protection logs and quarantined files. We also leave behind registry settings mbam-clean.exe is designed to remove all of these and it is designed to be run after first uninstalling the program.

Thx for the info Exile.

I've never gotten the realtime updates to work since updating 1.46 from 1.45 and the problem persists in v1.50.

I tried everything support threw at me back then to no avail. They concluded the issue with:

One user out of millions is not suitable to do any type of conclusive troubleshooting and effect changes to the software.

To make any changes to software based on one user would be irresponsible to the other untold millions who don't have the issue.

If we have a batch of users to collect and harvest data, we can compare to try and find a commonality.

I can forward that email to anyone of importance at Malwarebytes. ROFL.

Fortunately, the hourly update runs OK. This is an adequate level of protection.

I've never gotten the realtime updates to work since updating 1.46 from 1.45 and the problem persists in v1.50.

I tried everything support threw at me back then to no avail. They concluded the issue with:

One user out of millions is not suitable to do any type of conclusive troubleshooting and effect changes to the software.

To make any changes to software based on one user would be irresponsible to the other untold millions who don't have the issue.

If we have a batch of users to collect and harvest data, we can compare to try and find a commonality.

I can forward that email to anyone of importance at Malwarebytes. ROFL.

Fortunately, the hourly update runs OK. This is an adequate level of protection.

;)

I definatly want to see if the problem is related to my computer or to the program or its servers (12007=server timeout).

A server timeout can be at mbam but also because my computer fails to make a connection at the time mbam try's an update.

I'm considering myself as an advanced user and have 6 licenses so I will have this ruled out.

Till now the help at this forum was superb, I'm sure they help me out and if not I pass this to WikiLeaks :D

OK, I discovered this:

if you only make scheduled updates (so no scheduled scans) the updates (and logs with them) fails.

After adding scheduled scans the updates were started and logged also.

So IMO there is a missing link so only scheduled updates and logs can be made if

also scheduled scans are setup.

Also I noticed in the log a 'scan' is started but it would be neat if the log also would say what sort

of scan was started (flash,...) A seperate log can be made for that scan but still it's usefull

to see what sort of scan was started in the main log.

Can a programmer look into the scheduled part to see if he can remake the problem?

Update:

After the succesfull scheduled update and scheduled scan the scheduled realtime update was stopped (or not logged?)

20:31:30 Pierre MESSAGE Protection started successfully

20:31:56 Pierre MESSAGE IP Protection started successfully

21:10:06 Pierre MESSAGE Protection started successfully

21:10:19 Pierre MESSAGE IP Protection started successfully

21:10:53 Pierre MESSAGE Scheduled update executed successfully (setting=ONBOOT)

21:10:54 Pierre MESSAGE IP Protection stopped

21:10:57 Pierre MESSAGE Scheduled scan executed successfully (setting=Flash)

21:11:08 Pierre MESSAGE Database updated successfully

21:11:12 Pierre MESSAGE IP Protection started successfully

No sign of realtime 3 minute update since...

Can someone reply on this please?

Today I noticed not ANY of my 6 computers updates the definitions in REALTIME

as setup in "Scheduled items". I had different times on different computers (3mins/15 mins etc)

After several hours I did a manual update and that worked.

With 1.46 the realtime updates were OK.

Can some other users confirm this ????

Thanks in advance.

No sign of realtime 3 minute update since...
Hi -

There is no real use of asking for updates every 3 mins - The program may only have 4 or 5 updates in any 24 hour period -

Have you contacted support (as a paying customer you can) and they will run checks on your system also -

The links are here so that you can contact the help desk at support@malwarebytes.org or via This Link

Also here is a Malwarebytes Setup Video

Thank You -

ERROR Scheduled update failed: WinHttpSendRequest failed with error code 12007
Hi again -

Sorry but I missed this item in your first post - Quite often this means an infection in your router is preventing your updates -

This method has worked with many of these types of problems -

Connect to your computer direct to your router with an Ethernet cable

Print or Copy/paste this item to Notepad as you disconect from the net -

1. First: Disconnect your computer from the internet. (Log out)

2. Router Reset: Next you must reset the router to its default configuration. This can be done by inserting something tiny like a paper clip end or pencil tip into a small hole labeled "reset" located on the back of the router. Press and hold down the small button inside until the lights on the front of the router blink off and then on again (usually about 10 seconds).

3. Reset the IP/DNS settings of your interent connection:

Download this Microsoft Item and follow its directions

4. Flush the DNS cache:

• Go to Run Box or press Windows Key + R
  • In the command window copy/paste the following:
    ipconfig /flushdns

• Then hit enter.
  • Exit the command window.

5 Update: Try to update to the latest version

If this helps , then you need to change and reset your router password also -

Thank You -

Hi -

There is no real use of asking for updates every 3 mins - The program may only have 4 or 5 updates in any 24 hour period -

Have you contacted support (as a paying customer you can) and they will run checks on your system also -

The links are here so that you can contact the help desk at support@malwarebytes.org or via This Link

Also here is a Malwarebytes Setup Video

Thank You -

It doesn't mather if 3 or 15 minutes is enabled, after 6 hours waiting no update was made

even if I could see with a manual update there was one available.

So after the manual update (and the knowledge there was one available) I waited to

see if the other computers did an automaticly update but neither of them did it.

So it was pretty clear the realtime update didn't work on any.

I will contact support, but with 6 different computers having this problem it's sure not local side.

Hi again -

Sorry but I missed this item in your first post - Quite often this means an infection in your router is preventing your updates -

This method has worked with many of these types of problems -

Connect to your computer direct to your router with an Ethernet cable

Print or Copy/paste this item to Notepad as you disconect from the net -

1. First: Disconnect your computer from the internet. (Log out)

2. Router Reset: Next you must reset the router to its default configuration. This can be done by inserting something tiny like a paper clip end or pencil tip into a small hole labeled "reset" located on the back of the router. Press and hold down the small button inside until the lights on the front of the router blink off and then on again (usually about 10 seconds).

3. Reset the IP/DNS settings of your interent connection:

Download this Microsoft Item and follow its directions

4. Flush the DNS cache:

• Go to Run Box or press Windows Key + R
  • In the command window copy/paste the following:
    ipconfig /flushdns

• Then hit enter.
  • Exit the command window.

5 Update: Try to update to the latest version

If this helps , then you need to change and reset your router password also -

Thank You -

ONBOOT update = OK

MANUAL update = OK

REALTIME update: NOT OK

OTHER programs updates: OK

FULL Scan with MBAM and NIS2011= OK

So please don't let me reset my router, the setup for all my computers is a pain in the A..

and sure if there is nothing wrong with it.

Please check the admins if there are problems at server side or the developers if there are

problems with the new build (I've seen several reports with database problems).

For this reason I already deinstalled, cleaned and reinstalled 2 computers with mbam.

I don't want to reset my router before I'm sure it's not your program or server.

Since 1.50 I have problems, nothing other thing changed on any of the 6 computers,

so please check your side. 1.46 was a charm.

I don't want to reset my router before I'm sure it's not your program or server.

Since 1.50 I have problems, nothing other thing changed on any of the 6 computers,

so please check your side. 1.46 was a charm.

This is a very common item lately and I was only trying to help you -

Thank You for your reply - Catch you later ;)

Contacted support and they sended a file to make a Tracert to the servers of mbam, connection is fine.

On another computer the ONBOOT update failed (again)

18:43:22 (null) ERROR Scheduled update failed: WinHttpSendRequest failed with error code 12029

So sometimes the ONBOOT works (except sometimes if the WinHttpSendRequest occurs with different error codes) but the realtime update definatly doesn't work on all 6 till now...

I never had problems with the 1.46 on any computer so I'm thinking to deinstall all 1.50 versions till

support finds a solution. Imo it's a bug.

UPDATE

This morning when I looked at the date format in the scheduler the date "switched"

in a "blink" (but noticed on the other computers also) to the right date format over here (dd/mm/yyyy)

So I guess with an update this "bug" has been followed-up by the developers.

However, most dates are correct now (have still to test if the updates are coming like they should be)

but I noticed a date which has been forgotten. Not only the format but the date also is not correct

from the database version (last picture). So, almost done I guess :D

Regards, Pierre

date10.jpg

date3t.jpg

date2f.jpg

After contacting support they send me a patch - MBAM 1.5.0.1 is now running to see if the updates are OK.

I am testing for 2 days now and suddenly get this answer from support:

Your request has been deemed solved. If you have any further problems please open a new ticket and, if they are related, mention your ticket id.

Well cool, YOUR problem is solved but I was still testing!

I'm pretty sure the 1.5.0.1 patch was made because I pointed to the date format so probably

more customers will benefit from this.

Is that's the vision of giving support back to someone who try's to help get the bugs out?

I AM VERY DISSAPOINTED.

Rubber Ducky, check your support! :D