New Exceptions after updating

I downloaded today's MB def updates (and new version 1.50) and the scan came up with three malicious softwasre items.

I never got these exceptions previously. Just after this recent download/update.

I never use automatic updates as I prefer to do all of them manually.

What are they? What do I do?

WinXP sp3 / AVG AV/AS

Vendor: Disabled Security Center

Castegory: Registry Data

Item: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWASRE\Microsoft\Security Center\AntiVirusDisableNotify

Other: Bad (1) Good (0)

Action Taken: No Action Taken

Item: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWASRE\Microsoft\Security Center\FirewallDisableNotify

Item: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWASRE\Microsoft\Security Center\UpdateDisableNotify

Greetings ;)

Those 3 entries are policies that determine how and whether or not the built in Windows Security Center alerts you about the status of your antivirus (should your antivirus be disabled or out of date), your firewall (should it be disabled) and Windows Updates, should Automatic Updates be disabled.

If you've disabled these notifications deliberately yourself then you can safely have Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware ignore these items. It is also likely that your internet security software disabled the first two listed (antivirus and firewall monitoring respectively). Many internet security suites do this because they monitor their own status and don't want you being annoyed by duplicate notifications from their monitoring programs and Windows as well so they disable the Windows notifications.

The third one would not be altered by your internet security software, so if you did not disable Automatic Update settings notifications for the Windows Security Center yourself, then you should let Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware fix this one. If you did set it that way yourself because you check for updates manually, you can have Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware ignore this item as well.

Greetings ;)

Those 3 entries are policies that determine how and whether or not the built in Windows Security Center alerts you about the status of your antivirus (should your antivirus be disabled or out of date), your firewall (should it be disabled) and Windows Updates, should Automatic Updates be disabled.

If you've disabled these notifications deliberately yourself then you can safely have Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware ignore these items. It is also likely that your internet security software disabled the first two listed (antivirus and firewall monitoring respectively). Many internet security suites do this because they monitor their own status and don't want you being annoyed by duplicate notifications from their monitoring programs and Windows as well so they disable the Windows notifications.

The third one would not be altered by your internet security software, so if you did not disable Automatic Update settings notifications for the Windows Security Center yourself, then you should let Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware fix this one. If you did set it that way yourself because you check for updates manually, you can have Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware ignore this item as well.

Thank you.

#1- Did you notice that I Edited my original post? Does your answer still apply?

#2- That I can IGNORE all 3 of these exceptions?

#3- Why are they showing just at this time and not previously?

#4- Will ignoring the firewall cause that program not to work properly?

You're welcome ;)

I didn't see the edit. If you're running AVG Internet Security (not just the AV) then yes, it still applies, at least for the first two. As I said, antivirus software does not disable the third one. That one is used by Windows to notify you when the Automatic Updates setting is disabled for Windows Updates.

As for why they are showing up now and not previously, it's likely because we have reworked several detections and settings with the database and our new version or that the settings were simply changed recently.

Ignoring the firewall setting will not cause it to not work properly, but if the only firewall you have installed is the Windows Firewall, then if it ever gets turned off, Windows will not alert you (again, if you're using AVG Internet Security, it has its own firewall and it monitors its own status).

You're welcome ;)

I didn't see the edit. If you're running AVG Internet Security (not just the AV) then yes, it still applies, at least for the first two. As I said, antivirus software does not disable the third one. That one is used by Windows to notify you when the Automatic Updates setting is disabled for Windows Updates.

As for why they are showing up now and not previously, it's likely because we have reworked several detections and settings with the database and our new version or that the settings were simply changed recently.

Ignoring the firewall setting will not cause it to not work properly, but if the only firewall you have installed is the Windows Firewall, then if it ever gets turned off, Windows will not alert you (again, if you're using AVG Internet Security, it has its own firewall and it monitors its own status).

Thank you.

I am using the FREE AVG 2011 AV/AS (don't believe that includes AVG Internet Security) and PC Firewall Plus.

I never use automatic updates as I prefer to do all of them manually.

I manually check MS Critical Updates every week. I do not allow the automatic updating.

Can I now IGNORE all three of these "exceptions = AntiVirus; Firewall and Update?

P.S. I just ran current MB scan on our Win7 64-Bit computer and NO exceptions show. Wonder why only on the WinXP computers?

Yes, you can ignore all 3 of the detected items since you're using a third party firewall (PC Firewall Plus) and since you check for updates manually (I'm certain that since you don't use Automatic Updates, you don't want Windows prompting you about the fact that Automatic Updates is disabled all the time).

With regards to Windows 7, the settings are quite different and these particular ones do not apply, at least not in those registry settings, that is why they are not detected there.

Please let us know if there's anything further we can assist you with and thanks for using Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware to help keep your PC clean ;).

Yes, you can ignore all 3 of the detected items since you're using a third party firewall (PC Firewall Plus) and since you check for updates manually (I'm certain that since you don't use Automatic Updates, you don't want Windows prompting you about the fact that Automatic Updates is disabled all the time).

With regards to Windows 7, the settings are quite different and these particular ones do not apply, at least not in those registry settings, that is why they are not detected there.

Please let us know if there's anything further we can assist you with and thanks for using Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware to help keep your PC clean ;).

Many thanks for your kind and easily understandable help. Answers I've received over time for other problems with other programs were more complicated and technical than the actual problems.

I will now mark all 3 exceptions IGNORE.

Alice

Marvelous, I'm glad I was able to help you out :(

I just wanted to mention that my original post for this thread said that the 3 'exceptions' were found after doing a scan after download of recent updates. However, I don't believe I mentioned that I had done a FULL scan.

Someone mentioned that I would not have found these 3 'exceptions' had I done a QUICK scan.

Well, last night I downloaded recent (definition) updates and decided to do a QUICK scan (on notebook, also with WinXP) and the 3 "exceptions" DID appear/show also.

And so, both of our WinXP computers (desktop and notebook) showed these 3 "exceptions" even though a FULL scan was run on one and a QUICK scan run on the other.

Can we agree then that the 3 "exceptions" can/will/could show after a FULL scan and/or a QUICK scan?

Thank you

Alice

Hello, alicez:

Until Exile360 or another expert checks back in, I would follow his instructions & not be concerned about the Quick vs. Full scan detections for those three items. :(

His expert explanations were spot-on about how to handle them.

FWIW, MBAM Quick Scans (& Flash Scans, if you are running the paid, PRO version) are all you need to run routinely, since they search all the common places where malware may lurk.

You really only need to run a Full Scan AFTER cleaning infections, to remove any last traces, as part of the cleaning process.

If you prefer to run a Full Scan from time to time, there is no harm, but it's not strictly necessary. :)

HTH, Regards,

daledoc1 (just a home user)