Problem with MBAM and backup programs

After install of 1.5 last night - I noticed this morning that my two backup programs (syncbackpro for local backup and JungleDisk for cloud backup) didn't run. I tried to run SBpro manually - it wouldn't run - I rebooted - wouldn't run. I tried jungledisk - could not run a manual backup - just seemed to freeze with nothing being backed up. Removed mbam and rebooted - everything is back to normal. There is something very wrong with MBAM 1.5 and backup programs.

I also tried to schedule a chkdsk via windows GUI and I couldn't - the GUI just seemed to freeze - very strange. Now works fine with mbam uninstalled.

I have used all prior versions of mbam without incident.

Win7/64.

Thanks.

Thanks for letting us know, we'll look into it.

If you wouldn't mind testing this, please try the following:

• Reinstall Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware version 1.50 but do not register it yet
  • Open Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and click on the Ignore List tab
  • Click on the Add button and browse to the location where SyncBackPro is installed and click once on the folder to select it and click OK
  • Do the same for JungleDisk
  • Register Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and enable the protection module and reboot
  • Try doing backups with those programs to see if they are able to run now

If you chose to do the test, please let us know the results.

I followed your directions and installed mbam 1.50 and added the exclusions to the 2 folders and then rebooted. I did run mbam-clean first.

Symptoms came back - the backup programs not running. I also checked the chkdsk scheduling and this was broke also. After removal with mbam-clean - everything works as it should including the chkdsk scheduling from windows gui.

I am running MSE as AV.

Do you have MBAM's files excluded from MSE? If not, then please do the following and test again to see if they work:

Set Exclusions for Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware in Microsoft Security Essentials:

1. Open Microsoft Security Essentials and click on Settings at the top
  2. Click on Excluded processes on the left
  3. Click on the Add... button
  4. Click on the + next to your primary hard drive (usually C:)
  5. Click on the + next to Program Files (x86)
  6. Click on the + next to Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  7. Click once on mbam.exe and click on OK
  8. Repeat steps 3-7 for the following files:
    • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe
    • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe

[*]Click on Save at the bottom and click Continue if prompted

[*]Close Microsoft Security Essentials

Set Exclusions for Microsoft Security Essentials in Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware:

• Open Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and click on the Ignore List tab
  • Click the Add button on the lower left
  • In the small browse window that opens, navigate to C:\Program Files and click once on Microsoft Security Essentials and click OK
  • Close Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware

Also, please verify that there are no exe's for your two backup programs stored in other locations, such as Program Files\Common Files and if there are, please exclude them from MBAM by adding the exe's to the Ignore List as you did with the program folders.

I will try when I get a chance - have to get some work done now. ;)

Though I will say with the problem with chkdsk - I don't there are any issues with the backup programs per se or least it goes beyond that. If I was to guess though all 3 programs chkdsk and 2 backup programs - I believe interface with VSS. I think you should look there.