Version 1.29

With Version 1.29 when I right click the MBAM icon in the system tray and then select update the download screen appears, closes, and then nothing happens. It connects to SecurityWonks. It does not update or tell me that MBAM is up to date. However, I can update by opening MBAM and selecting the update tab.

my guess is thats normal, until there is something to download! Exact samething happens to me

but thats just my 2 cents! Right now I think there working on ver. 1.29 and since I removed it from the CP

and the registry and reinstalled it, seems to be a concern that we installed it again to GERARDWIL's post above...

what do you think?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Trend Micro Housecall 6.5 is saying C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam-dor.exe is infected with JOKE_AGENT.

I posted that on Page # 1 (go back a page) Post # 7 http://www.trendmicro.com/vinfo/grayware/v...ME=JOKE%5FAGENT -- I have Trend Micro Internet Security 2008 -- I just asked the program to Trust it for now under settings.....its so low on the spyware level

Followed your instructions RubberDuckey... FYI I get the same as in my past post

I removed the whole program from the CP add/remove, then the registry, removed program, then leftover Application Data removed.... did a reboot, Did a clean reinstall after your post above. Under the Update tab at the bottom it still says: Latest News (10/16/08) Version 1.29 Released A reinstall is strongly sugested.....Installed the license key ect.. works ok...

A reinstall is strongly sugested is still under the Update tab? still there

version129.jpg

Is the highlighted section what people are questioning? If so, I do not believe this means you need to reinstall the program if you already updated to V1.29, as Rubber Ducky stated this is just pulled from the news page.

thank you for the pic !!!! YES the highlighted section what people are questioning? about 3-4 of us.... After RubberDuckys last post I did a uninstall from the CP Add/remove, removed some folders in Aplication Data, and removed everything from the registry. rebooted, downloaded ver. 1.29 -- rebooted, and that what we see still.... Hey I can live with it if you say don't worry about it now..... let us know please....TIA

Guys,

That is just the LATEST NEWS. Everybody sees that. It is an announcement to the world. I can change that to say anything :).

Just leave the "reinstall is strongly suggested" off. We tend to follow directions. Thanks

For users who don't read this forum will not know to reinstall when updating, it should stay.

If they want us to uninstall and re-install, it should be noted before we do the update. Then after we uninstall, we re-install from the download page. Does anyone think that we should install the update, uninstall, and then reinstall? :)

I installed 1.29 over 1.28., because I didn't know, that it was necessary to uninstall 1.28 before. Because of the fact, that the online security function (in german "Schutzmodul") was not startable, I uninstalled 1.29, rebooted the system and installed 1.29 again. Everything seemed to be ok. But when trying to activate the Security Module: same effect as before. Error message "[Create Service] Die Ausf

If they want us to uninstall and re-install, it should be noted before we do the update. Then after we uninstall, we re-install from the download page. Does anyone think that we should install the update, uninstall, and then reinstall? :)

I do think this is a bit odd approach. I too got the updated version when I ran the updater, didn't even know about a possible need to do a clean re-install.

So what I got was an application that took nearly twice the normal time to do a Quick Scan and that otherwise also acted sluggishly.

After that I naturally browsed around here and found out about the suggestion to remove older version. Which I did, and after reboot I got the oddest error msg ever, "C:\Program Not Found" or something similar.

After installing v1.29 from scratch I seem to be back to normal.

It seems odd to me that the buil-in updater can and will push newer versions to users when suggested approach is to remove older version first.

• Root Admin

Are you using the PAID version with the Protection module? I'm guessing here but I think that the protection module change is part of the issue and users that don't have the PAID version won't have that module running.

But... I'm sure Marcin will respond some time tomorrow and provide further information.

I do think this is a bit odd approach. I too got the updated version when I ran the updater, didn't even know about a possible need to do a clean re-install.

So what I got was an application that took nearly twice the normal time to do a Quick Scan and that otherwise also acted sluggishly.

After that I naturally browsed around here and found out about the suggestion to remove older version. Which I did, and after reboot I got the oddest error msg ever, "C:\Program Not Found" or something similar.

After installing v1.29 from scratch I seem to be back to normal.

It seems odd to me that the buil-in updater can and will push newer versions to users when suggested approach is to remove older version first.

Regarding that error message, immediately after installation of version 1.29, it adds a Runonce entry in the registry for "C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe" /install /silent, but when you removed MBAM 1.29 before rebooting, and then rebooted, the program was no longer in the folder but the reg key remained. As far as the built in updater goes, I fully agree, it should at least simply download it for you to a location like your desktop and not auto-install, at least in this instance, so there are no issues with the update.

Regarding that error message, immediately after installation of version 1.29, it adds a Runonce entry in the registry for "C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe" /install /silent, but when you removed MBAM 1.29 before rebooting, and then rebooted, the program was no longer in the folder but the reg key remained.

Thx for the explanation. That actually makes sense, especially since when I re-installed I had Scotty running, just in case to notice any strange additions to autoruns for example, it did bark about said Runonce entry :) I just didn't manage to come up with that line of thought myself.