XP 2008 removal?

jamesc

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Root Admin

Well that place has a bad history and no good technical information on the Web.

Is there data on that computer that you have to have? Pictures, Mail, video, resumes, documents, etc?

Normally there are 2 different methods of a restore CD/DVD. One is DESTRUCTIVE and will basically format the drive and remove everything on it. The other one is a Standard recovery that will leave your data in tact. I'm not familiar with this PC and Google search doesn't come up with much either to help out.

If there is data you want or need there are other tools we can use to get the data back. If you have an instruction manual with the Recovery DVD it might tell you which methods it supports and how to run it. Just be careful as a wrong choice will be difficult and time consuming to do data recovery.

Let me know and we'll see where to go from there.

I have only the set up guide for Windows media centre edition 2005 and the RD480 Neo2 Quick user guide along with the DVD from Evesham Product recovery DVD and support driver cd 200-0083v25 for XP SP2 and media centre 2005

• Root Admin

Well I'm sure it will do the Recovery, but I'm not sure if it will offer a DESTRUCTIVE or a STANDARD recovery.

Main question at this point is. Do you have data on that drive that you have or want to keep?

You should be able to boot up from that DVD and it should give you an option or explain some. I've never seen one just fully run and do the recovery without making the user click or accept a couple or more boxes.

Let me know about the need to keep data or not please.

Most of the data is backed up, but not all. but there seems to be no other option at this point. If I put in the DVD will I be able to tell whether it is destructive? If yes, then I could try another way?

I just tried booting from the recovery disk but am getting a message that there is no hard drive installed on my computer and that windows can not continue...

Have tried three times.

Should I plug in the external drive and try again?

• Root Admin

The recovery DVD from Evesham?

That one should work. Is there a floppy drive on this computer? If it has a SATA controller then it might require a special driver, but surely they didn't provide you a DVD without it really working correctly.

If these options don't work and the UBC4W isn't working then I would suggest pulling the hard drive out and putting it into the working computer so that you can restore the data since your time is running out.

That or you'll need to wait until you have more time to work on this.

DO NOT have the external USB drive attached when trying to do a recovery.

• Root Admin

Since this issue can not be resolved at this time due to hardware and time constraints, I will close the thread to prevent others from posting into it. If you need assistance please start your own topic and someone will be happy to assist you.

The fixes and advice in this thread are for this machine only. Do not apply to your machine unless you
Fully Understand

how these programs work and what you're doing. Please start a thread of your own and someone will be happy to help you, just follow the Pre-Hijackthis instructions found here before posting
Pre- HJT Post Instructions

Also don't forget that we offer
FREE
assistance with General PC questions and repair here
PC Help

If you're pleased with the product
Malwarebytes
and the service provided you, please let your friends, family, and co-workers know.
http://www.malwarebytes.org