Clean up - Remove AOL and Windows Defender Notice

Judy Lee

I've just finished up with Gammo on the Malware forum, and I'm very grateful for all the help you all give.

He said to come here with my last couple of questions.

Question 1 - I have tried in vain to remove all traces of AOL from this computer. I thought I had it, but I see there is still an icon in the lower right bar stating "AOL - connection available." Is it possible to ever really remove all of AOL? I do not have AIM installed here.

Question 2 - I installed Avira, Spybot and Zone Alarm to take care of the need for real-time protection. I know that I'm not supposed to have more than one running at a time, so I disabled Windows Defender. However when I start up, I get a pop up telling me that Windows Defender has been disabled. Well I know that - I did it! But is there any way to stop the annoying reminder (screenshot attached).

Question 3 - I've been reading on this topic before posting, and I've come across some discussion of TeaTimer. I see that some say it isn't necessary. I have noticed that it uses a decent amount of resources. What is your opinion? Why is it a bad thing?

Thank you very much for your time and assistance.

Judy Lee

post-40703-1290452081_thumb.jpg

Guest name cool

You can not remove most of the programs infected. Or which are installed incorrectly or remove it badly, and if you receive a message mis of a program is trying to correct the problem, you need only install the "Uninstall. And cleaning applications and remove the Most" files, registry, and then you can try to install program again, and for more information, see the link. here

M' Anti-M Free use. XP SP 3

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

I'm sorry, but I really don't understand what you are saying here.

I have already been through the Malware forum, and they have determined that my computer is free of infection at this time.

Gammo confirmed that I have installed the appropriate programs to provide real-time protection.

Are you saying that I can't get rid of the rest of AOL?

Are you saying that I can't stop the Windows Defender popup?

And what about TeaTimer? Should I disable it?

I would really appreciate further explanation.

Thank you,

Judy Lee

Guest name cool

I'm not expert enough. But you can remove the programs. Try to use the two programs and if your computer is infected ..

This and other links.

But I mean look at the post #4

Any way, wait for someone to help you. And you can remove programs to those programs.

http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showtopic=66445

http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showtopic=66183

M' Anti-M Free use. XP SP 3

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Regarding question 2, how exactly did you disable Windows Defender? This is the proper way to disable it:

• Please open Windows Defender. It should be listed in your vista-7-start.pngStart menu under Programs
  • Once it's open, please click on the Tools link at the top
  • Once there, click on Options under where it says Settings
  • Scroll down to the bottom and under Administrator options there should be two settings.
  • Uncheck the box next to Use Windows Defender and click the Save button at the bottom. Note: For Vista click Continue at the User Account Control prompt
  • Click Close when the notification pops up.

Given your current security software setup (even with TeaTimer) having Windows Defender enabled shouldn't create any conflicts or problems, WD is seldom truly incompatible with anything as long as you handle detections correctly. If you get a detection from Windows Defender and your antivirus at the same time of the same threat simply have Windows Defender ignore the threat and have the other program remove it.

Regarding question 3, my primary issue with it is its use of resources, it tends to slow things down a lot.

Many Thanks Exile.

Since I now know that Windows Defender won't conflict with any of the other programs, I re-enabled it, and I'll leave it alone.

Regarding Teatimer, the best way I could figure to disable it was to uninstall Spybot, and reinstall it without checking off the Teatimer options.

I'm really happy that this scrambled mess of a computer is now a smooth running machine :-) I truly appreciate all you do here.

All the best,

Judy Lee

That is one way to do it :D. For future reference, here's another way:

• Please run Spybot Search & Destroy and click the Mode button at the top and select Advanced. Answer Yes to the window that pops up.
  • Expand the section on the left called Tools then click the Resident button (it should look like an orange shield)
  • In the main program you should see some options under Resident protection status
  • Please uncheck the box next to Resident TeaTimer and answer Yes to any prompts and exit Spybot Search & Destroy.
  • Right-click on the TeaTimer tray icon next to your clock (it should look like a small white box with a small silver pad-lock) and select Exit Spybot-S&D Resident

Please post back if there's anything else we can do to help B)