Due to inclement weather in Southwest Florida, our Clearwater support team is offline. Our other offices are available to assist you, however their responses may be delayed. We appreciate your patience and understanding during this time. ×

Report to System Support Error message

Greetings,

I have a newly installed Windows 7 64 bit computer and I somehow ended up with Google redirects, so I installed MalwareBytes.

Unfortunately, I am unable to access the server to update the definitions. The error code says to contact system support regarding this problem, I have attached a screen shot of the error.

Thanks in advance for your assistance. post-59387-1290023509_thumb.jpg

Please provide following details, so that someone may be able to assist you:

• 1. OS version including 32/64-bit
    2. Installed Security Product(s) including Firewall
    3. MBAM version (current 1.46) (Free or Pro Version)
    4. Definition version (current 5138)
    5. Do you use a router to connect to Internet

Please provide following details, so that someone may be able to assist you:

• 1. OS version including 32/64-bit
    2. Installed Security Product(s) including Firewall
    3. MBAM version (current 1.46) (Free or Pro Version)
    4. Definition version (current 5138)
    5. Do you use a router to connect to Internet

1. Windows 7 Ultimate Ver. 6.1 (Build 7600)

2. Microsoft Security Essentials and no other AV installed. Microsoft Firewall is active.

3. MBAM version 1.46 Free

4. Data base verions 4052

5. I am using a Dlink Dir-655 router

post-59387-1290025655_thumb.jpg

More than likely your router is hijacked.....

You may want to print or write these directions as you will disconnect from the internet for a while -

1. Very important: First disconnect your computer from the internet. (Log Off)

2. Router Reset: Next you must reset the router to its default configuration. This can be done by inserting something tiny like a paper clip end or pencil tip into a small hole labeled "reset" located on the back of the router. Press and hold down the small button inside until the lights on the front of the router blink off and then on again (usually about 10 seconds).

3. Reset the IP/DNS settings of your interent connection:

• Go to Start -> Control Panel -> Double click on Network Connections.
  • Right click on your default connection (usually Local Area Connection or Wireless Network Connection) and select Properties.
  • Select the General tab.
  • Double click on Internet Protocol (TCP/IP).
    ?Under General tab:
  • Select "Obtain an IP address automatically".
  • Select "Obtain DNS server address automatically".
  • Click OK twice to save the settings.
  • Reboot if you had to change any setting.

4. Flush the DNS cache:

• Click the Start logo in the bottom left corner of the screen
  • Click on Run or press Windows Logo+R
  • In the command window copy/paste the following (one at a time):
    ipconfig /flushdns

netsh winsock reset

• Then hit enter.
  • Exit the command window.

5. Reconnect: Once you have followed all the above steps you can reconnect your computer to the internet

More than likely your router is hijacked.....

You may want to print or write these directions as you will disconnect from the internet for a while -

1. Very important: First disconnect your computer from the internet. (Log Off)

2. Router Reset: Next you must reset the router to its default configuration. This can be done by inserting something tiny like a paper clip end or pencil tip into a small hole labeled "reset" located on the back of the router. Press and hold down the small button inside until the lights on the front of the router blink off and then on again (usually about 10 seconds).

• Right click on your default connection (usually Local Area Connection or Wireless Network Connection) and select Properties.
    ?Under General tab:

4. Flush the DNS cache:

• In the command window copy/paste the following (one at a time):
    ipconfig /flushdns

netsh winsock reset

• Then hit enter.

5. Reconnect: Once you have followed all the above steps you can reconnect your computer to the internet

Thanks Firefox for your detailed instrucitons!

Do you think that the impassibility of the router being hijacked is also the cause of the Firefox Google redirects?

Windows 7 Ulitmate 64 bit will be reinstalled later this week on this machine, so can any of the steps you have mentioned be skipped?

Sorry, ADDREPLY will be used from now on.

Indeed, both IE and FF on the new Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit exhibited redirects and this computer needs the OS to be reinstalled on account of driver issues.

Strange, the notebook on my home network has no redirect issues that I clearly noticed as I did on the desktop and uses the same router.

I sort of masked the redirect problem with a FF add-on and Spybot immunization for IE after spending several days on this issue ...

Are all the steps you outlined needed after I i do a new fresh install of Win 7 Ultimate 64.

Thanks Firefox,

I don't understand how this redirect problem could have just shown up on a newly installed OS .... and the notebook that is running on the same home network router is not affected, I guess that implies that it is not a hijacked router.

But I cannot get the latest MBAM udpates and that problem remains.

Hi rosebud101 -

Please try to download this ->Version of Malwarebytes<- then try to update it -

Error 12007,0, is a generic M/soft code meaning you are having problems conecting to a server -

Here are some steps to diagnose update issues:

Step 1

Click on
and let me know what it says. It should be just a 4-digit number in the upper-left corner.

Step 2

If you use
Norton Internet Security
, and you have the
Add-On Pack
installed, then please note that the Add-On Pack will block the Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware update process. Symantec has discontinued support for the Add-On Pack, and they have asked us to recommend to their customers that they uninstall the Add-On Pack and replace it with
. Since Norton Online Family is compatible with the Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware update process, replacing the Add-On Pack with it will solve any Norton Internet Security related update issues.

Step 3

Please download and run the traceroute utility at
. It will run a traceroute to our update servers to see if it can find the connection issue, and then it will write it to a log, and open that log in Notepad when it is done. Please either save the log as a Text File and then attach it to a reply, or copy and paste it into a reply, and I will forward it on to our server guy.

Thank You -

Greetings,

The provided link does not work, server not found. It would be great to be able to run Malwarwebytes with current updates ....

I do not get the expected 4 digits upon clicking the link but see what appears to be a redirect, this is what I get:

post-59387-1290057047_thumb.jpg

I do not have Norton but do have Microsoft Security Essentials.

This is the traceroute information:

traceroute_malwarebytes_cdn.txt

If you still have the same problem then follow these directions -

Please print out, read and follow-> What do I do now? , skipping any steps you are unable to complete.

The next step is post a ->New Topic Here.

One of the expert helpers there will give you one-on-one assistance when one becomes available.

After posting your new post make sure under options that you select Track this topic and choose one of the Email options so that

you're alerted when someone has replied to your post - Please allow at least 48 hours for a reply as the experts can get busy at times -

Also add a brief note to the experts as to your problems -

Always use the ADD REPLY Tab at the bottom of the page when you reply -

Thank You - :)

I uninstalled MBAM from Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit. I am new to Win 7 and I did not find this sequence

"Go to Control Panel > Programs and Features and find Malwarebytes - Right click delete it -"

Sadly the link provided again gives a "server not found". This is what I am getting.

post-59387-1290059583_thumb.jpg

I trust a reset of the router will cure the redirect. Thanks very much!!!

Hi rosebud101 -

Please try to download this ->Version of Malwarebytes<- then try to update it -

Error 12007,0, is a generic M/soft code meaning you are having problems conecting to a server -

Here are some steps to diagnose update issues:

Step 1

Click on
and let me know what it says. It should be just a 4-digit number in the upper-left corner.

Step 2

If you use
Norton Internet Security
, and you have the
Add-On Pack
installed, then please note that the Add-On Pack will block the Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware update process. Symantec has discontinued support for the Add-On Pack, and they have asked us to recommend to their customers that they uninstall the Add-On Pack and replace it with
. Since Norton Online Family is compatible with the Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware update process, replacing the Add-On Pack with it will solve any Norton Internet Security related update issues.

Step 3

Please download and run the traceroute utility at
. It will run a traceroute to our update servers to see if it can find the connection issue, and then it will write it to a log, and open that log in Notepad when it is done. Please either save the log as a Text File and then attach it to a reply, or copy and paste it into a reply, and I will forward it on to our server guy.

Thank You -

I have this same problem. Both Step 1 and 2 links would not open in Google Chrome. Here are my step 3 results -

Traceroute Malwarebytes CDN version 1.5

Thu 11/18/2010

1:11:28.29

Phase #1

Tracerouting: data-cdn.mbamupdates.com

Unable to resolve target system name data-cdn.mbamupdates.com.

DNS Info

Server: UnKnown

Address: 192.168.1.1

============================================================

Phase #2

Tracerouting: llnw.data-cdn.mbamupdates.com

Unable to resolve target system name llnw.data-cdn.mbamupdates.com.

DNS Info

Phase #3

Tracerouting: edge.data-cdn.mbamupdates.com

Unable to resolve target system name edge.data-cdn.mbamupdates.com.

DNS Info

Finished at: 1:11:29.37

I'm running in Windows XP Service Pack 3 and have AVG 2011 Free Edition on my computer.

Hi -

There is a current problem between AVG 2011 and several other programs - Please remove your AVG for now (you can reinstall later) -

Then follow these steps - If you have the paid version of Malwarebytes you will need to reinstall the Key and ID after you finish -

To Fully Remove and Reinstall a Fresh New Copy of Malwarebytes - Read Carefully

Windows XP:

• Click on Start and select Control Panel
  • Open Add/Remove Programs
  • Uninstall Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  • Restart your computer very important !
  • Download and run mbam-clean.exe from Here

It will ask to restart your computer, please allow it to do so, very important

After the computer restarts, temporarily disable your Anti-Virus and install the latest version of Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from Here

Next - For XP systems -

1. Very important: First disconnect your computer from the internet.

?Under General tab:

4. Flush the DNS cache:

• In the command window copy/paste the following:
    ipconfig /flushdns

• Then hit enter.

Please post back and use the ADD REPLY Tab so you do not repeat all of the previous post -

Thank You -

The cause of my Google redirect problem was a hijacked router.

After reinstalling Win 7 I hooked it up to my router and right of the bat I was redirected on a Google search.

I reset the router to factory defaults and setup a newly named network with a different password ... and no more redirects.

I am curious how this could have happened? I suppose the router must have been flashed in order for the malware to do the redirects?

Thanks for all the help and advice I received.

Honestly, I spent several days trying everything I could to detect and remove a suspected rootkit virus from the computer but unbeknown to me it somehow latched on to the router.

I had UPnP enabled in the router, would this have facilitated the infection? I guess the virus must somehow flash the router because it can't get in otherwise?