Apple 1 $$$,$$$

sho-dan

The Christie's brochure describes the computer as a "historic relic," and judging by current technological standards, I suppose that's an accurate description. Just in case you can't remember, the Apple-1, introduced in 1976, came without a casing, power supply, keyboard or monitor. Still, it was enough to turn Apple into a household name as it also was the first personal computer sold with a fully assembled motherboard. Back during those rollicking days of the early personal computer era, most personal computers got sold as self-assembly kits. Based on the standards of that era, this was consumer-friendliness with an underscore.

Jobs and his co-founder Steve Wozniak priced the first Apple-1 computers at $666.66. The machines were shipped to customers from Jobs' parents' house. Christie's says that all of the components are still in their original box. The machine will get put on the auction block Nov. 23. Bidding is set to begin at $161,600.

cbsnews

I had two Apple ][s, (a ][ and ][+ ) and ran a BBS on a fully loaded Apple//e.. If my wife hadn't made me dump all my "old" computer gear to the Salvation Army when we moved in 2000, I could be a rather $$ old man. :) And some of the mint condition original Apple software programs still in Vinyl binders might be worth more than some of the Apple gear.. And an original 8mhz "ZipChip" (Apple 2's -ALL- came with a 1mhz 6502 cpu; the 8mhz ZipChip was a 6502 running 8 times faster) or an original SIDER 10 MEG hard drive.

*sigh*

Memories.. :)

~Shy

• 2 weeks later...

Update:

Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Apple I computer sells for $174K at London auction

A rare example of Apple's first computer, the Apple I, in "superb" condition sold for $174,000 at an auction in London on Tuesday.

Italian businessman and private collector Marco Boglione made the winning bid, which came to about $210,000 after tax, by phone Tuesday at Christie's auction house in London, the Associated Press reports. Prior to the auction, Christie's estimated the computer would sell for between $160,000-240,000. When it was released in 1976, the Apple I sold for $666.66.

The Apple I computer, of which only 200 were made, has become a rare collector's item, as only 30 to 50 units are believed to still exist. The auctioned unit was listed as a "superb example" and came in its original box with a signed letter from Apple cofounder Steve Jobs.

appleinsider