Due to inclement weather in Southwest Florida, our Clearwater support team is offline. Our other offices are available to assist you, however their responses may be delayed. We appreciate your patience and understanding during this time. ×

System keeps rebooting suddenly

HTT

Hi.

I m using Acer Aspire 6920-6875 laptop. I have started getting one problem for last 2 months. At first, it was getting frozen and then i always had to turn off the system by using the power button.Then after few days, the system started shutting down suddenly. After using 'Advanced system care' program, now my screen doesn't freeze that much but system still shut down abruptly. Interesting thing is that sometimes it runs without any problem for 7-8 hours BUT other times, it shuts down suddenly within 2 minutes,sometimes even at startup. I m using various Anti-Virus,Anti-Malware,Anti-sypware programs and there is no prob related to this. Also i use a program to check my CPU,HDD temperature and its normal.

I will appreciate any help since i m very tensed.

Something else to add. I have Windows XP also on my D drive. But i always use Vista(C drive). Today,i tried to check XP whether my system will reboot itself suddenly or not. And strange thing is that it was rebooting just like in Vista.

So does anyone think the same as me that the problem is not in Vista but in hardware? if yes,then how to know which hardware is causing this problem?

Thanks.

Thanks for the advice.

Bad RAM is not an issue. I have already tried the memory test. Also as i told in my 1st post,the temp. is controlled. Moreover,i have already checked the hard drive by disk check.

Any other hardware which can freeze the screen and cause system reboot?

Thanks.

After it reboots check your event logs for any clues to the cause.

To do this: press the Window-key+R to open a run box then type: eventvwr.msc

Next expand "Windows Logs" then click on "system", double click the red errors with the closest date/time.

Note: if it was a hardware error it may not have created an event.

Remove the power cable and clip your battery out then put it back in.

Check the fan vent is clear on the side or back of the laptop case, I know you says you used a programs to check the heat,

with the program open load the machine up a little, play a dvd or a game and keep an eye on the temp for a while.

Move the DC power connector around a little bit to see if the charging light flickers or goes off, this is just to make sure it is

not the battery going flat and shutting down depending on the position of the power cable.

Good luck and let us know what was causing it when you get a fix.

After it reboots check your event logs for any clues to the cause.

To do this: press the Window-key+R to open a run box then type: eventvwr.msc

Next expand "Windows Logs" then click on "system", double click the red errors with the closest date/time.

Note: if it was a hardware error it may not have created an event.

Remove the power cable and clip your battery out then put it back in.

Check the fan vent is clear on the side or back of the laptop case, I know you says you used a programs to check the heat,

with the program open load the machine up a little, play a dvd or a game and keep an eye on the temp for a while.

Move the DC power connector around a little bit to see if the charging light flickers or goes off, this is just to make sure it is

not the battery going flat and shutting down depending on the position of the power cable.

Good luck and let us know what was causing it when you get a fix.

Hi.

Thanks a lot for trying to help me.

plz check the screenshot. My event viewer doesn't open.

post-57558-1289670662_thumb.jpg

Check the event log service is running. (Using an Administrators User Account)

Win-key+R, type: services.msc

move down to W's and make sure "Windows Event Log" service is "started" and "Automatic", if not double click it and set it that way.

For the error, open Event Viewer, >Windows Logs > right click on "System" and "Clear Log" > Save and Clear > name it and save.

(you can also do the same with any other section of the event logs that give an error)

Note: you can delete the saved log later if you no longer need it, I don't think you will.

now close and reopen Event Viewer and see if you can access the System section. You will have to wait for a reboot after that to get a new event error if it creates one.

As the original problem was in XP and Vista I Don't think Event Viewer not working is part of the cause, but fix it all the same.

Dear Scouk, i really appreciate ur well explained reply. Infact Event Viewer is already running. It shows few other logs but not the system log.

U know,I got something interesting to tell u,so that u can help me better. I remembered suddenly that the time when my system started (before 2months) freezing and rebooting, was the same time when my battery also dramatically lost it's efficiency. Earlier, it was giving the backup time of 2 hours,but then(till now) the backup time got reduced to only 20-25 minutes. Here i want to clear that i always run my laptop on power supply but battery is also inserted always. I thought that the prob is from battery side as its bad now.So i removed the battery and tried to run the system on power supply,but still prob is not disappeared.

Hope,now u will be able to get a clue easier than before.

One more thing. 2 times in last 1 week,my screen suddenly became colored with many pixels/dots. So i was not able to do/see anything on screen. Finally i had to turn the system off by using power button. This prob was never appearing in last 2 months.

Thanks.

Hi, You might have a hardware problem relating to the graphics adapter/chip, or, screen inverter, if your getting an unreadable pixelated screen.

But if your lucky it might be something simple like a driver. If it does this in WinXP & Vista its not the driver as they both have their own.

If the screen problem was only on one version of Windows update the graphics driver to the latest one, you should find it on the support page for your machine under drivers/software download.

Failing that I think you may need to have it checked out by a technician with a good understanding of laptops and troubleshooting.

Good luck.

Hi.

I m working on the advices and instructions of Scouk. Will post my comment later. I think most probably its the prob of power supply. However,i will have to check everything. And as i know,when windows get shut down by the Sasser worm then it shows an error but mine doesn't show anything.

Plz wait for my next update. Life is hell with this problem. Thanks to all of u.

One more thing. I have a software to check the drivers which need to be updated. There r many of them to be updated but i have read at various places that drivers should be updated only when there is some prob,otherwise they can create bigger probs.

So plz have a look at my drivers.

Thanks.

post-57558-1289819245_thumb.jpg

One more thing. I have a software to check the drivers which need to be updated. There r many of them to be updated but i have read at various places that drivers should be updated only when there is some prob,otherwise they can create bigger probs.

So plz have a look at my drivers.

Thanks.

Hello all.

I have checked everything what i could. Now i have understood that my system works well when its only on battery. But when its connected to power then no matter battery is inserted or not,either it will freeze or reboot.

Any advice after knowing this update?

Thanks.

Hi -

The hardware issues you mention can be slightly narrowed down to the PSU now - I had similar problems with my XP -

This can cause 'pixilated' screen effects and many of the other problems you have stated above - Try a new one or switch one from another computer -

With regard to your post #15 , I prefer to go to Control Panel > System > Hardware > Device Manager and check each one in there -

Thank You -