HP ZV6000 won't boot!

maxpower_454

My computer was working fine but a little slow until last night. I ran ESET Online Scanner to see if there was anything obvious slowing things down. It caught a few things and allw as going fine until I installed a windows media player update. After that was installed the scan seemed to have stalled. I aborted the scan and it cleaned 8 items. I then tried restarting the computer but it would not shut down or restart. I had to do a hard restart and then when I restarted it, the computer would get to the HP screen, ask me whether I wanted to start windows normally or not, and then after I chose start windows normally, it would be stuck at a blank screen. I tried starting in safe mode and it would process 3 lines on the screen and then freeze also. I went into setup and ran a quick and long scan on the hard drive and both came back ok. What could be wrong with my computer? I think I have the recovery cd's but won't be able to get them for a day or two. Anything I can do now? Should the recovery cds solve the problem?

If the scan stalled, and you were stuck with a blank screen I would be concerned about an infection.

You should consider going into the Malware Removal Forum..instructions below:

Please read the following so that you can begin the cleaning process:

As we don't deal with malware removal in the General Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware Forum, you need to start a topic in the Malware Removal forum so a qualified helper can help you fix any malware related problems/infections you may have.

• Please read and follow the directions here, skipping any steps you are unable to complete. Then post a NEW topic here.
  • After posting your new post, make sure under options, you select Track this topic and choose Immediate Email Notification, so that you're alerted when someone has replied to your post.
  • One of the expert helpers there will give you one-on-one assistance when one becomes available.
  • Please refrain from making any further changes to your computer (Install/Uninstall programs, use special fix tools, delete files, edit the registry, etc...) unless advised by a malware removal helper. Doing so can result in system changes which may hinder the attempts by a helper to clean your machine.

NOTE: Please DO NOT post back to (bump) your topic within the first 48 hours.

Replying to your own posts changes the post count and helpers are looking for topics with zero replies. If you reply to your own post helpers may think that you're already being helped and thus overlook your post.

• If there is no reply from any experts after 48 hours, you can reply to the topic, asking for help again.
      Or
    • You may send a Private Message to a Moderator asking for assistance.

Alternatively, as a paying customer, you can contact the help desk at support@malwarebytes.org or here.

Please be patient, someone will assist you as soon as it is possible.

It was after I cleared some things the scan picked up. I closed the scan and everything and then a little while later I did hard reset. I cannot even get into windows so I don't think it's malware. Can you at leat try to help me get into windows?

If the scan stalled, and you were stuck with a blank screen I would be concerned about an infection.

You should consider going into the Malware Removal Forum..instructions below:

Please read the following so that you can begin the cleaning process:

As we don't deal with malware removal in the General Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware Forum, you need to start a topic in the Malware Removal forum so a qualified helper can help you fix any malware related problems/infections you may have.

• Please read and follow the directions here, skipping any steps you are unable to complete. Then post a NEW topic here.
  • After posting your new post, make sure under options, you select Track this topic and choose Immediate Email Notification, so that you're alerted when someone has replied to your post.
  • One of the expert helpers there will give you one-on-one assistance when one becomes available.
  • Please refrain from making any further changes to your computer (Install/Uninstall programs, use special fix tools, delete files, edit the registry, etc...) unless advised by a malware removal helper. Doing so can result in system changes which may hinder the attempts by a helper to clean your machine.

NOTE: Please DO NOT post back to (bump) your topic within the first 48 hours.

Replying to your own posts changes the post count and helpers are looking for topics with zero replies. If you reply to your own post helpers may think that you're already being helped and thus overlook your post.

• If there is no reply from any experts after 48 hours, you can reply to the topic, asking for help again.
      Or
    • You may send a Private Message to a Moderator asking for assistance.

Alternatively, as a paying customer, you can contact the help desk at support@malwarebytes.org or here.

Please be patient, someone will assist you as soon as it is possible.

@ maxpower_454

It was after I cleared some things the scan picked up. I closed the scan and everything and then a little while later I did hard reset. I cannot even get into windows so I don't think it's malware. Can you at leat try to help me get into windows?

No I can't - but the Malware Removal forum has all the tools to get you cleaned up and back on-line.... Follow the instructions in Post # 4 please You will work with an expert, where you have to download logs & tools. Do what they say and you should get fixed up..... regards...

My computer was working fine but a little slow until last night. I ran ESET Online Scanner to see if there was anything obvious slowing things down. It caught a few things and allw as going fine until I installed a windows media player update. After that was installed the scan seemed to have stalled. I aborted the scan and it cleaned 8 items. I then tried restarting the computer but it would not shut down or restart. I had to do a hard restart and then when I restarted it, the computer would get to the HP screen, ask me whether I wanted to start windows normally or not, and then after I chose start windows normally, it would be stuck at a blank screen. I tried starting in safe mode and it would process 3 lines on the screen and then freeze also. I went into setup and ran a quick and long scan on the hard drive and both came back ok. What could be wrong with my computer? I think I have the recovery cd's but won't be able to get them for a day or two. Anything I can do now? Should the recovery cds solve the problem?

Well You Should Restore Your PC By Using The System Restore.

INSTRUCTIONS: NOTE THIS IS ONLY XP

1:

Click on Start, select All Programs, select Accessories, select System Tools, click on System Restore. The next screen is a Welcome to System Restore. Here you will make the choice of the task that you want to perform. Select "Restore my computer to and earlier time". Good idea to click on help at the upper right hand corner. Print and save these instructions as you will need the information in the next few minutes

2:

The next screen that pops up is of a chart showing choices of restore point dates. Select your desired restore point date and click on "next".

The next screen is a confirmation to make sure that this is what you want to do. Follow the instructions.

3:

Click "next" and your computer will start restoring itself. When complete your computer will be working the way it was a few days ago. If your have problems there is plenty of help screens if you need to undo it.