Unable to launch Mbam and obtain error windows

Hi,

I wanted to run a scan a few hours ago but MBAM produced these errors:

MBAM_ERROR_EXPANDING_VARIABLE (0,9)

after clicking OK, I get this window

MBAM_ERROR_LOAD_DATABASE (3,0)

Actions taken so far:

1. Downloaded a fresh copy of MBAM

2. Uninstalled MBAM with RevoUninstaller and rebooted.

3. Ran registry cleaner and rebooted.

4. Tried to install MBAM but got the same errors as above and also:

MBAM_ERROR_MISSINGFILE (3,0,mbamswissarmy.sys)

5. Rebooted. Tried to launch but obtained the first two error messages.

6. Found the following thread and did this FIX.BAT thing:

http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showtopic=67149

7. Rebooted and Launched MBAM to get the first two error messsages again!!

8. Uninstalled as 2 and 3, Installed again (same errors) did the "fix.bat" but to no avail

9. Repeated steps 2 and 3 again!! Ran the Mbamclean.exe which produced the following error message:

SHGetValue failed with error code 0

So far I haven't tried to install MBAM again as I think it's pointless at the moment!!

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Windows XP Pro SP3, AV = NOD32, FW= Comodo, AS= Spybot, Superantispy and spywareblaster

MBAM_ERROR_EXPANDING_VARIABLES (0,9)

MBAM_ERROR_MISSING_FILE (3,0, mbamswissarmy.sys)

The system cannot find the path specified.

Here's a fix that exile360 made, it is universal for XP, Vista and Windows 7 and should fix the problem:

Note: If using Windows Vista or Windows 7 you MUST right-click on the file and select "Run as administrator".

• Please copy and paste the following text in the Code box exactly as written into notepad (not wordpad or any other text editor):
    @color 48
    @echo off
    if exist "%allusersprofile%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu" md "%allusersprofile%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup"
    if not exist "%allusersprofile%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu" md "%allusersprofile%\Start Menu\Programs\Startup"
    if exist "%appdata%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu" md "%appdata%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup"
    if not exist "%appdata%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu" md "%userprofile%\Start Menu\Programs\Startup"
    del /f /q %0

• Once you've done that click on File and select Save As...
  • In the Save dialogue box click on the drop down menu next to Save as type and select All Files
  • Name the file Fix.bat (the .bat extension is very important)
  • Save the file to your desktop and double click it to run it if using Windows XP. If using Windows Vista or Windows 7 you MUST right-click on the file and select Run as administrator otherwise it will not work.
  • Once that's complete try running Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware again to see if it now works without error or not.

Hello English1968:

You may have made mistake and a blunder, using a third party tool to uninstall program (not recommended), registry cleaners do more harm than any good, they are only meant for those who thoroughly understand what will be consequences and how to revert

Firefox our Trusted Advisor has provided the solution that has worked in normal circumstances. I'd request an Admin/Mod to please get on board for resolution

Should you have any other question(s) please post back using MXyBj.png button

OK, Somthing important may have happened that morning.

My daughter was surfing the web when she went onto a website which had been blocked by Google as an attack website. My NOD32 log file shows the following:

11/11/2010 09:52:31 HTTP filter file scuolamedianocerasuperiore.it HTML/ScrInject.B.Gen virus connection terminated - quarantined. Threat was detected upon access to web by the application: C:\Programmi\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe.

Could this have done something as it was after this that I started having problems with MBAM?

Edited by AdvancedSetup
removed live link

Have you added any exclusions to your NOD32 - This Item was sent by a Moderator on their forum to help with adding exclusions -

Please exclude the following files from your antivirus:

Note: If using a software firewall besides the built in Windows Firewall you'll need to exclude them from it as well - (eg. Comodo) -

For Windows XP:

• C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\zlib.dll
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.dll
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamext.dll
  • C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\rules.ref
  • C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbam.sys
  • C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbamswissarmy.sys

Note: If using a software firewall besides the built in Windows Firewall you'll need to exclude MBAM.EXE from it as well

Note: Once that's done, please make sure that if either of those programs has any sort of web filter, that you add the following as a trusted site:

data-cdn.mbamupdates.com

Hi again -

After re reading your post , it seems like that site may have left an infection in there - Please read these instructions -

As we do not work on Malware removal or diagnostics in the general forums please follow these directions -

Please print out, read and follow-> What do I do now? , skipping any steps you are unable to complete.

The next step is post a ->New Topic Here.

One of the expert helpers there will give you one-on-one assistance when one becomes available.

After posting your new post make sure under options that you select Track this topic and choose one of the Email options so that

you're alerted when someone has replied to your post - Please allow at least 48 hours for a reply as the experts can get busy at times -

Also add a brief note to the experts as to your problems -

Alternatively, as a paying customer, you can contact the help desk at support@malwarebytes.org or via This Link

Always use the ADD REPLY Tab at the bottom of the page when you reply -

Thank You - :)

Thanks for your reply.

It seems that there has been some kind of infection as sometimes the computer refuses to boot properly, i.e. crashing during the boot. All I see is the BIOS message and nothing else. These are becoming more frequent now. Only today I had to tried to reboot 8 times before it rebooted on the ninth!!

I think I might go in for a reformat as I use this computer for sensitive data.

Of course I always do backups on a regular basis so only nothing will be lost.

Once again thanks, and as a soon as I've reformatted and install XP Pro, Sp1-2-3, I'll install MBAM again!!

Best wishes

English1968