Due to inclement weather in Southwest Florida, our Clearwater support team is offline. Our other offices are available to assist you, however their responses may be delayed. We appreciate your patience and understanding during this time. ×

MalWare Bytes Not Responding

jerrydgallant

So I was doing some malware/virus removal with the help of the fine people over at TSF (sjpritch25), and during this process MalWare Bytes stopped responding. You can see the thread for info on the particulars:

http://www.techsupportforum.com/security-c...computer-2.html

Any ideas on getting mbam to work?? I was going to advise Mom to buy mabam Pro as suggested, but what if the new one won'r respond either?

Hello,

I just finished reviewing the thread which you linked us to and my best suggestion is to do a complete clean install of Windows as this will likely need to be done. If you are unsure on how to do this, I recommend taking your computer to a computer shop as a technician can have your machine up and running within a single day again.

However, before doing this, I recommend downloading "Spybot Search and Destroy" as this also checks for spyware, and other stuff you don't want on your computer and running a scan. Once it is complete, delete all files it has found by clicking the "Fix Selected Problems" button within the application.

You may download the program by going to this URL from http://www.download.com

http://download.cnet.com/Spybot-Search-amp...tml?tag=mncol;1

Also, other programs you may wish to run are Hijack This, Microsoft Security Essentials, AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition 2011, or Avast Anti-Virus - As those may help you clean your computer from the malware. :P

Hello jerrydgallant: :P

Since you are cleared and specifically asked to seek help from this forum, I'd suggest you to please provide following details before we could move any further:

1. OS version including 32/64-bit and system locale
  2. Installed Security Product(s) including Firewall
  3. MBAM version (current 1.46)
  4. Definition version (current 5073)
  5. Do you use a router to connect to Internet

Please do one more attempt of scanning with (Heuristics Shuriken Disabled) after definition update

1. Click on Settings
  2. Click on Scanner Settings
  3. Uncheck Enable advanced heuristics engine (Heuristics Shuriken)

Please post back using MXyBj.png button

Alexander: Frankly, I find your comment at the least premature, and at most dangerous. From what I understand, SpyBot is not a good program, beacuse it can remove potentially needed files, running multiple anti-virus programs can unnecessarily cause conflicts to a PC, and to advise me to take my PC to a technician, when there don't seem to be any malware/virus issues anymore (see the post at TSF) could potentially be a waste of time and money. Hence the reason for logs and such, so an experienced computer tech can analyze the problem before offering any advice.

Haider: Thanks for the advice. I'll post back with results tonight.

OS version: 64-bit. I don't understand what you mean about System Locale?

I recently installed MS Security Essentials

mbam version 1.46

definition 5038 (updated now)

I think it's a router? Do you mean wireless? It's cable Internet...

Updated to definition 5076, unchecked Heuristics Shuriken, and it's still hanging/not responding.

Hello jerrydgallant:

1. OS 64-bit, is it XP, Vista or Win7?
  2. Router is a device connected to Modem in order to distribute Internet to more than one system, either wired, wireless or combination

As mentioned by noknojon in Post #7 you have to add exclusions in MSE for MBAM to avoid conflict(s) if any

Should you have any other question(s) please post back using MXyBj.png button