Photoshop

DarkSnakeKobra

Hey, does anyone know of a good site with tutorials for learning Photoshop? Just bought Adobe Photoshop Elements 9 and excited to learn! :D

Buttons,

There are literally HUNDREDS of Photoshop Sites with tutorials.. Many quite good. I think Haider also uses Photoshop. I use PaintShopPro which is a much cheaper Photoshop clone and that too has hundreds of sites. There are general tutorial sites as well as sites that specialize in certain Photoshop functions. -Enjoy!

http://www.google.com/search?q=photoshop+tutorials&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

~Shy

I saw paintshop pro. Like 20-30 bucks cheaper. Wanted to go for the big boy toys.:D Cool. I guess there are too many too list.

I use an old version of PSPro (7.04) and when I got it, it was over $500 cheaper than Photoshop.. Did you get a student discounted version?? COREL bought out PSPro and their clone sells for about $100/upgrade.. I admit that both are simply too complicated for me to use in their current incarnations so I'm glad I hung on to 7.04 I can't do everything on it either BUT I don't feel QUITE as stupid.. *grin*

~Shy

I use an old version of PSPro (7.04) and when I got it, it was over $500 cheaper than Photoshop.. Did you get a student discounted version?? COREL bought out PSPro and their clone sells for about $100/upgrade.. I admit that both are simply too complicated for me to use in their current incarnations so I'm glad I hung on to 7.04 I can't do everything on it either BUT I don't feel QUITE as stupid.. *grin*

~Shy

Cool. I got it at Walmart for 90 bucks. Corel was a bit cheaper and almost thought it was Photoshop until I looked at it.:D Photoshop came with a mac disc and windows one. Also came with a 30 day trial of Adobe Premier Elements 9 and Lightroom 3. Plus Adobe reader.:D I think we all feel stupid at times.:D

Cool. I got it at Walmart for 90 bucks. Corel was a bit cheaper and almost thought it was Photoshop until I looked at it.:P Photoshop came with a mac disc and windows one. Also came with a 30 day trial of Adobe Premier Elements 9 and Lightroom 3. Plus Adobe reader.:P I think we all feel stupid at times.:D

Buttons,

This is the "original" type Photoshop used by professionals.. mostly on high end Macs.. and takes a few YEARS to become comfortable using. (I didn't even try - I took one look and ran off to find something a little easier to work with. :D)

The version you bought is designed to compete head-to-head with Corel's version of the old PSPro.. And you got a good price on it.

~Shy

What's the difference?

Edit: Looks like it's a cheaper version targeting hobbyist and others who can't afford the full version. Sounds like it does much of the same options.:P

Adobe Photoshop Elements is the consumer version of the Adobe Photoshop raster image editing product, targeted at hobbyist users and hence sold at a fraction (roughly 1/6th) of the cost of the professional product. It contains most of the features of the professional version but with fewer and simpler options. The program allows users to create, edit, organize and share images, all from the same product.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adobe_Photoshop_Elements

What's the difference?

About $550.. ADOBE Photoshop CS5 has every photo tool, plug-in, effect, etc possible.. And like I said, it's made for the PROFESSIONAL user..

Is this what you got from Walmart?

If so.. or if similar.. they are two different Photoshop programs.. The cheaper one is for normal users and doesn't have all the bells and whistles as the $699 list one does.

EDIT: Thanks Haider - I have to learn to type faster. And I spent too much time getting my "visual" aid.. :P :P

~Steve

Edited by ShyWriter

Close, but that one is a bit outdated. Got Elements 9.:P

http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshopel/

I'm in no way a professional or know anything about photoshop. So I think this can get me started for now.:P

I'm glad you got the updated version 9 Buttons. I was afraid you got ripped off and was sold the old version 8..

Good deal..

~Shy

@mt

Thanks. Excited. :P Oddly it has a toolkit for creating C++, visual basic, html, css, and other code plus text files. :P

Yeah, thanks.:D I couldn't find a non upgrade photoshop version online. Weird. I think it's good enough for now. Thinking about taking a 6 week continuing ed class online so I can learn the basics.:D

Yw :P Aww lol have fuunnnn :P

I want Photoshop... how much is like the basic one (not professional)?

I won't get it with this computer, but when we finally get a new one, I think I might like Photoshop depending on the price and I will definitely be buying the Sims. I miss playing the Sims, hehe. They have an Xbox 360 version but I've heard that the game console version of computer games are never as good, and I can't imagine the Sims on Xbox would be nearly as good as it is playing it on the computer. Plus I think you'd be much more limited by what you can do. So I'll wait....

Yw :P Aww lol have fuunnnn :P

I want Photoshop... how much is like the basic one (not professional)?

I won't get it with this computer, but when we finally get a new one, I think I might like Photoshop depending on the price and I will definitely be buying the Sims. I miss playing the Sims, hehe. They have an Xbox 360 version but I've heard that the game console version of computer games are never as good, and I can't imagine the Sims on Xbox would be nearly as good as it is playing it on the computer. Plus I think you'd be much more limited by what you can do. So I'll wait....

I will admit to being a bit biased but PSPro (COREL's version PaintShopPro X3) is better than Photoshop Elements and can use all of Photoshop's "plug-ins" for the same price.

CNET editors' review

Reviewed by: Jessica Dolcourt on January 26, 2010

What you get with the latest version of PaintShop Pro is a midlevel photo editor with a low learning curve and some very nice editing and output features. The easily navigable interface puts photos front and center and surrounds them with tools and menus. It doesn't have all the pixel-pushing prowess of its pricier competitors, but PaintShop Pro X3 does add a few significant enhancements and new features. Support for HD video projects is the biggie here, as more users are investing in fancier digital cameras and in high-def computers and TV screens.

Shutterbugs will also appreciate the new RAW feature (called the RAW Lab), which is a specialized editor for processing RAW images. It's a feature similar to those found in Adobe's Photoshop Elements and Photoshop Lightroom.

Corel has also acknowledged an uptick in the popularity of social networks by baking in more sharing options, specifically for Facebook, Flickr, and YouTube. In addition to sprinkling some new editing tools into PaintShop Photo Pro X3, Corel has turned on the capability to import and export HD videos. The multimedia photo editor contains templates for photo projects found in other Corel products, like Corel Digital Studio 2010. Though the templates offer simple, visually exciting ways to get started on a photo book or a slide show, those who dip into them often will find themselves limited to the same handful of designs.

It's clear that PaintShop Pro X3 is aimed at enthusiast-level photographers who prefer a clean, all-in-one app to not just edit but also process their photos onto a disc, an online album, or a photo project like a slideshow. Pros who prefer to get into the nitty gritty details of image editing should look elsewhere, but others would benefit from downloading PaintShop Pro's trial software.

Publisher's description

From Corel:

PaintShop Photo Pro X3 is the most rewarding way to enhance your photos and create professional-looking images. Now with a complete RAW workflow, this photo-editing program lets you manage, adjust, edit and share your digital photos--all in one place. Accelerate the way you organize, rate, tag and sort with new photo management tools. Make automatic fixes in the enhanced Express Lab, or go deep with a full set of advanced editing tools. Then upload to Flickr, Facebook and YouTube, create high-quality photo books and projects, print, email or back up photos on disc. It's your entire photo workflow in one high-performance package.

What's new in this version:

* New: RAW Lab -- manually adjust groups of RAW photos during the loading process

* Enhanced: Express Lab -- quickly fix common flaws in this speed-editing mode

* New: Advanced editing tools -- edit fast with Smart Carver and Vibrancy

* New: HD photo and video -- import and export HD video

* New: Integrated projects -- create photo books, HD slideshows and cards

* Enhanced: Photo sharing -- email, print online or at home, and send directly to Facebook, Yo... see all new features

source information: http://download.cnet.com/Corel-PaintShop-Photo-Pro/3000-2192_4-10001995.html

Just my opinion..

~Shy

• Root Admin

Jasc PSP was an excellent product and I've used it since version 1.02 up to version 8. I just didn't care for the pricing and marketing of Corel when they took it over. I did buy it up to X2 but by then I had already been using PhotoShop 7 and then moved on to Adobe CS 1 and stopped using PSP.

However GIMP is also an excellent FREE Graphics program.

Here is something I posted back in about 2008 about Video software (so stuff is a bit out dated now) But the main idea is the same for Image editing as there are many tools out there to do it.

Free Video Editing Software

Microsoft Photo Story 3

Microsoft Photo Story 3

Microsoft Windows Movie Maker 2.1

Windows Movie Maker

Wax

Wax

ZS4 Video Editor

ZS4 Video Editor

Vivia - The Video Editor

Vivia - The Video Editor

Home user versions with lower learning curves

Adobe Photoshop Elements 7 & Adobe Premiere Elements 7 $179.99

Adobe Photoshop Elements 7 & Adobe Premiere Elements 7

Corel VideoStudio

• 2 weeks later...

@ Buttons

Ack!!

Most of those are pretty pricey. I just want a basic thing for editing photos... tweaking them, making them different... like different effects. Not sure which one that one would be, but that's what I used in school & on my ex's computer like 7 years ago... I don't need anything too fancy :)