mbam_error_load_database (0,5)

I purchased this program on October 19th after having major problems with my computer and completely reloading windows xp and starting over. Everytime I tried loading and updating the program I received the following error mbam_error_load_database (0,5) After getting that error the program would crash and would not even start up anymore.

I opened a support ticket with malwarebytes and the support person had me try many different things including

Downloaded and ran MBAM Fix Error Load Database.bat

Downloaded and ran RSIT and sent the help person the log

Made changes in Norton Internet Security to make sure it wasnt blocking Malwarebytes

Downloaded and ran Avenger to check for rootkits

Ran tracert to see if there is a problem with the connection between me and the servers

On October 24th I tried loading the program in safemode and to my surprise it installed and updated.

I did not try to update the program again until November 2nd and when I did I received the mbam_error_load_database (0,5) again. I reopened the support ticket but so far have not received any help that worked.

I did some searcing online again and saw on this board that somebody recommended "Then go to C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and delete rules.ref" I did that and am still receiving the same error.

Is there anything that can be done to make this program work? I am more then willing to pay for a program if it works correctly but I am rapidly reaching the point where i will just ask for a refund if nothing can be done

• 4 weeks later...

I found a fix and I figured I would share it with all of you. At least for now i figured out that if unhook my router and plug the computer straight in to the modem that the updates worked fines. I only unplug it do the update and then I plug it back in to the router when I am done. its a pain but at least for now its a work around. No idea why my router would mess up the updates. I have a netgear router. Good luck

@ steve6884

Should this happen again

Please do the following - Post back and let us know please

To Fully Remove and Reinstall a Fresh New Copy of Malwarebytes - Read Carefully

Windows XP:

• Click on Start and select Control Panel
  • Open Add/Remove Programs
  • Uninstall Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  • Restart your computer very important !
  • Download and run mbam-clean.exe from Here

It will ask to restart your computer, please allow it to do so, very important

After the computer restarts, temporarily disable your Anti-Virus and install the latest version of Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from Here

Windows Vista and Windows 7:

• Click on the Start button and select Control Panel
  • Click on Programs and Features
  • Uninstall Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  • Restart your computer very important !
  • Download and run mbam-clean.exe from Here

It will ask to restart your computer, please allow it to do so, very important

After the computer restarts, temporarily disable your Anti-Virus and install the latest version of Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from Here

Note: You will need to reactivate the program using the license you were sent via email if using the Paid version only

Launch the program and set the Protection and Registration. Then go to the UPDATE tab if not done during installation and check for updates.

Restart the computer again and verify that MBAM is in the task tray if using the Pro version. Now reset any file exclusions as may be required in your Anti-Virus/Internet-Security/Firewall applications and restart your Anti-Virus/Internet-Security applications.

You may use the guides posted in the FAQ's here or ask us and we will explain how to do it.

Thank You

It sounds like the download is getting corrupt in transit when connected through your router. That means the router is dropping packets on your connection. It sounds like it may be time to get a new router, or at least try a reset as Firefox suggests and perhaps check Netgear's website for firmware updates as well to see if that resolves it.

OK, same problem here on 64-bit XP. I went through the remove/reboot/clean/reboot/re-install procedure. As long as I do not update the database after install, all is well. Update kills it every time, with the mbam_error_load_database (0,5). When I delete the rules.ref file, I can re-install mwb and all works again. As soon as I update, down it goes (updating with and without first deleting rules.ref - make a matrix of possibilities, and I've tried them all ;-)

I haven't been able to turn off the AVG anti-virus, don't think I have permission for that.

I recall there used to be a manual download for the database, but I can't find that now. If I could get that, I think I could bypass the anti-virus/download firewall, if that is what is causing the problem (generally, it just stops a download, I've never seen it interfere with one before, and the download appears to proceed normally). Anyhow, even if it is the problem, I can download on Linux and transfer the update file (if there still is one).

Any other ideas?

Thanks,

Richard

What are your download speeds for your internet connection? You can test your speeds At Speed Test . Net

Manual Update of Definition Database

If you cannot update the database to the latest version within the MBAM window, you may follow the instructions below and update it manually:

ISSUE: I need to get the latest database onto a computer that cannot access the Internet.

SOLUTION: You can manually copy the database from a working computer using a flash drive or CD onto the infected PC. Our database file is stored in the following locations.

• Windows XP and 2000
  • C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\rules.ref
  • Windows Vista and Windows 7:
  • C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\rules.ref

You can also download a manual update from HERE -

***NOTE: This manual update will always be way behind in version level compared to updates from within the program.

**NOTE: Please note though that this should be a last resort and if at all possible you should attempt to download updates from within the program.

Once the system is clean and stable again you should update again from within the program.

What are your download speeds for your internet connection? You can test your speeds At Speed Test . Net

Manual Update of Definition Database

<snip>

ISSUE: I need to get the latest database onto a computer that cannot access the Internet.

You can also download a manual update from HERE -

***NOTE: This manual update will always be way behind in version level compared to updates from within the program.

Speed is not the problem (44 Mb/s from your link). The manual updater link you sent works just fine. It updated the rules and I ran another scan. Nothing found. Then I used the program updater and it showed a download of ~5.5 MBytes, 100% completed. As soon as the download box closed, the database load error popped up. I ran the manual updater exe again and that fixed it, albeit back to the 11/24 version (5184).

• 1 month later...

Hello!

I love this program, but, am getting very frustrated with it.

I have had to de-install/clean/re-install/re-register, with all of the commensurate re-boots so much due to this error message, that I have Favorited the web page with the links to the cleaner/latest issue.

Is there any way you guys can fix this problem? It is not new. I had this program working for me for over a year without a problem until recently. Now, I have to do this every other 2-3 weeks. No major changes to my computer, either.

I really do think a lot of this program, but, seriously, can't you guys fix this instead of us having to spend thirty minutes or so ourselves to make it run?

Thanks!

Hyero

Unfortunately, we've not been able to replicate this problem in-house. The majority of cases that I'm aware of where this issue occurred repeatedly, it turned out to be an issue with the user's ISP or hardware connecting to the internet dropping packets or having slow connectivity somewhere between their system and our update servers.

That being said, I do have a much simpler method than the one you've been using (uninstall, cleaner, reinstall etc.):

Show Hidden Files and Folders in Windows XP:

• Click Start and select My Computer
  • Click the Tools item from the menu at the top of the window (if you don't see Tools press the Alt key on your keyboard and it will appear)
  • Select Folder Options
  • Click the View tab and make sure Show hidden files and folders is selected under Hidden files and folders
  • Next, uncheck the box next to Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)
  • Then, uncheck the box next to Hide extensions for known filetypes
  • Click Apply then click OK

Then go to C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and delete rules.ref. Once you've done that, start MBAM and when it shows the error and asks to update, let it do so and see if that corrects it.

Show Hidden Files and Folders in Windows Vista and Windows 7:

• Click on the Start vista-7-start.png button and select Computer
  • Press the Alt key on your keyboard and click on Tools
  • Select Folder Options
  • Click the View tab and make sure that Show hidden files and folders is selected under Hidden files and folders
  • Next, uncheck the box next to Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)
  • Then, uncheck the box next to Hide extensions for known filetypes

Then go to C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and delete rules.ref. Once you've done that, start MBAM and when it shows the error and asks to update, let it do so and see if that corrects it.

Reset Hidden Files and Folders in Windows XP:

• Click Start and select My Computer
  • Click the Tools item from the menu at the top of the window (if you don't see Tools press the Alt key on your keyboard and it will appear)
  • Select Folder Options
  • Click the View tab and make sure Do not show hidden files and folders is selected under Hidden files and folders
  • Next, check the box next to Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)
  • Then, check the box next to Hide extensions for known filetypes

Reset Hidden Files and Folders in Windows Vista and Windows 7:

• Click on the Start vista-7-start.png button and select Computer
  • Press the Alt key on your keyboard and click on Tools
  • Select Folder Options
  • Click the View tab and make sure that Do not show hidden files and folders is selected under Hidden files and folders
  • Next, check the box next to Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)
  • Then, check the box next to Hide extensions for known filetypes