auto start up on Windows 7 machine

jess2010

Replaced an XP machine with a windows 7 machine and after reinstalling Malwarebytes can't get it to automatically start up. Am logging on using an Admin account and have entered the ID and Key. Any help appreciated.

Hello jess2010,

Also please indicate whether you are using a different AV on the new system and if you have checked this forum for possible conflicts and adding MBAM exclusions for your Anti virus .........

http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showtopic=10138

Hello jess2010,

Also please indicate whether you are using a different AV on the new system and if you have checked this forum for possible conflicts and adding MBAM exclusions for your Anti virus .........

http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showtopic=10138

Thanks for response. Running the same AV (Avira -free version) that was use previously. Malwarebytes runs fine, but will just not start up automatically. Am looking into exclusions in Avira now.

It should be loading at startup, it will simply take longer than on XP because its service is set to a Delayed start (an option only available for services on Vista and 7).

The other issue is that even once it is running, Windows 7 is most likely hiding the icon. If you click the small arrow near your system clock you should see our icon in your tray and you can use the Customoze... menu to set Windows to show our icon and notifications instead of just notifications.

It should be loading at startup, it will simply take longer than on XP because its service is set to a Delayed start (an option only available for services on Vista and 7).

The other issue is that even once it is running, Windows 7 is most likely hiding the icon. If you click the small arrow near your system clock you should see our icon in your tray and you can use the Customoze... menu to set Windows to show our icon and notifications instead of just notifications.

Thanks for the input. Just restarted the machine and carefully watched the loading sequence, and task manager. It definitely is a slow load, and assuming the process I am looking for is mbamgui.exe - looks like I am in business. Thanks for the help - appreciate it. Jess

You're welcome. There are actually 2 processes you're looking for:

• mbamgui.exe
  • mbamservice.exe

The first one you'll see immediately, the second is the one with the delay. It may take a few minutes before it starts.

I see mbamgui.exe*32 but never see mbamservice.exe. When I start Malwarebytes I see mbam.exe*32 until it is closed. Can I assume mbamservice.exe is what I should bee seeing as a consequence of enabling the protection module?

Yes, you should see mbamservice.exe when protection is running. You'll need to click the Show processes from all users button at the bottom of Task Manager to be able to see it in the list, and as I said, it will take a little while after boot to startup due to the delay.

You are exactly right about the "Show process from all users", mbamservice.exe*32 is there.

THX for the help.

Jess