PC Cleaner

CWB

hey all ,

well , i am cleaning up another laptop ... for a bedridden guy .

i looked around a bit in the self help section and tried the search function (it didn't work) ...

is there a self help tool for "PC Cleaner" ?

there is more crapware in the machine but i figured i would give it a concerted effort at clean up before posting in the hjt section .

yeah ... whip me , beat me , make me write bad checks ...

:D

• Root Admin

I don't use tools like PC Cleaner but I'll give you some other advice.

Download
DDS
and save it to your desktop

Disable any script blocker if your Anti-Virus/Anti-Malware has it.

Once downloaded you can disconnect from the Internet and disable your Ant-Virus temporarily if needed.

Then double click
dds.scr
to run the tool.

When done, the
DDS.txt
will open.

Click Yes at the next prompt for Optional Scan.

When done, DDS will open two (2) logs:

1. DDS.txt

2. Attach.txt

• Save both reports to your desktop

• Please include the following logs in your next reply:
    DDS.txt
    and
    Attach.txt

Download and install CCleaner
  • CCleaner
  • Double-click on the downloaded file and install the application.
  • Keep the default installation folder "C:\Program Files\CCleaner"
  • Click finish when done and close ALL PROGRAMS including your Web Browser
  • Start the CCleaner program.
  • Click on Registry and Uncheck Registry Integrity so that it does not run (basically the very top, uncheck it)
  • Click on Options - Advanced and Uncheck "Only delete files in Windows Temp folders older than 48 hours"
  • Click back to Cleaner and under SYSTEM uncheck the Memory Dumps and Windows Log Files
  • Click on Run Cleaner button on the bottom right side of the program.
  • Click OK to any prompts

Disk Check for XP

You may have corrupted files on your disk. Please try running the following.

First close ALL Applications as this routine will automatically restart your computer.

Click on START - RUN and copy / paste the following entry into the box and click OK

CMD /C ECHO Y|CHKDSK C: /R | SHUTDOWN /R /T 30

Disk Check for Vista/Win7

How to Run Check Disk at Startup in Vista

Backup the Registry:

Modifying the Registry can create unforeseen problems, so it always wise to create a backup before doing so.

• Please download ERUNT from here
  • ERUNT (Emergency Recovery Utility NT) is a free program that allows you to keep a complete backup of your registry and restore it when needed.
  • Double click on erunt-setup.exe to Install ERUNT by following the prompts.
  • Use the default install settings but say NO to the portion that asks you to add ERUNT to the Start-Up folder. You can enable this option later if you wish.
  • Start ERUNT either by double clicking on the desktop icon or choosing to start the program at the end of the setup process.
  • Choose a location for the backup.
    • Note: the default location is C:\Windows\ERDNT which is acceptable.

[*]Make sure that at least the first two check boxes are selected.

[*]Click on OK

[*]Then click on YES to create the folder.

Note: if it is necessary to restore the registry, open the backup folder and start ERDNT.exe

Create an Autoruns Log:

• Please download Sysinternals Autoruns from here.
  • Save Autoruns.exe to your desktop and double-click it to run it.
  • Once it starts, please press the Esc key on your keyboard.
  • Now that scanning is stopped, click on the Options button at the top of the program and select Verify Code Signatures
  • Once that's done press the F5 key on your keyboard, this will start the scan again, this time let it finish.
  • When it's finished, please click on the File button at the top of the program and select Save and save the Autoruns.arn file to your desktop and close Autoruns.
  • Right click on the Autoruns.arn file on your desktop and hover your mouse over Send To and select Compressed (zipped) Folder
  • Attach the Autoruns.zip folder you just created to your next reply

These should get you started

thanks much for the info .

i don't use stuff like PC Cleaner either ... bogusware (and worse) .

the guy installed it himself ... along with a few other ---ahem--- pieces of malware .

however , the machine is one of his few sources of entertainment .

he has already been started down the path of "enlightenment" and education ...

"don't do that !!!"

:D

after performing the instructions given above , and tuning off several items in the start up and transferring a fresh copy of MB into the machine and doing a full scan , a fair sized list of malware stuff was removed .

there was a real full antivirus program in place and the vault contained many entries of items that had been quarantined . the history log also provided some insight . running a full scan showed a few items ... thankfully no rootkits .

some other cleanup and all looks good to go .

weeeeelll ... i am fairly certain that the machine is now ok (i like to err on the side of caution) .

the owner had several "utility programs" installed ; registry optimizers , disk defragers , etc (yeppers , in plural) .

"speed up yer PC ... " :P :P

a few bogus/conware programs .

toolbars .

pretty much the kind of stuff a rookie would be suckered into with eye-candy and glittering generalities ... and one of the ways that viri , trojans , etc , find their way in .

"oooooo ... shiny" :D

several of the programs had corrupted or missing uninstallers ... fortunately there is a pretty good unistaller program available that can actually go in and rip these out by the roots .

note : i do not recommend these types of programs to the inexperienced/novice user without supervision . some real damage can be done that will result in a computer-to-doorstop conversion .

many thanks again to AdvancedSetup for pointing me in the right direction .

ps ... i am going to strongly suggest to the owner that he purchase the full version of MB . :D

i am fairly certain that the machine is now ok (i like to err on the side of caution) .

the owner had several "utility programs" installed ; registry optimizers , disk defragers , etc (yeppers , in plural) .

"speed up yer PC ...

Slow down your PC is the general agreement on many of these items - :P

A Disk Check and sfc /scannow is better than half of these programs , also add M/$oft updates , then a defrag to get things back in order -

All for free and already built into the system -

i agree ... 99% of the programs of this ilk are absolutely worthless , or worse than worthless .

i delivered the laptop to the guy late yesterday ... he was happy to get it . i explained about the bogus programs and such .

he had a program called "ID Vault" . i did a check as to what it was and there seems to be a free/trial and paid version ? i also got the idea that is was more like bogusware .

now i am trying to find a "form filler-inner/password saver" that is secure ... the guy has limited use of his hands .