Due to inclement weather in Southwest Florida, our Clearwater support team is offline. Our other offices are available to assist you, however their responses may be delayed. We appreciate your patience and understanding during this time. ×

Windows XP log on not working after install MAM

After installing the consumer version of Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, the Windows log on screen no longer has an insertion point, meaning that it will not accept any keyboard input. I have 2 users with passwords and 1 user without a password. By clicking on the user without a password and then logging off, the Windows log on screen then accepts keyboard input and I can log on with my password. Some times it requires logging on and off twice as the user without a password. This problem does not occur consistently. It occurs on two different computers, both running XP SP3. I have not found any events in the Windows logs to explain this. The only change on the computers was the installation of Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware so I assume that MAM is causing this problem. I would appreciate any help anyone can offer; while not a fatal error, this is annoying. Thank you.

Hello GregGol: :welcome:

What do you mean by consumer version of Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, there is only one version, which is 1.46

1. Do you remember from where you obtained copy of MBAM?
  2. Did you try scanning system with antivirus, what was the result?

I suspect your system is infected. Please read and follow the instructions in I'm infected - What do I do now? An Expert will assist you in removal process

Should you have any other question(s) please post back using MXyBj.png button

I downloaded from the MalwareBytes site. Here is an excerpt from the confirmation they sent me:

Your Products

Qty. Product Name Delivery

1 Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware Consumer License(s) Electronic Download

I have version 1.46.

I scanned in Safe Mode. Nothing. I was using Verizon Internet Security Suite for anti-virus protection. VISS let a Google re-direct virus through (at least I think it was a Google re-direct because I was getting re-directed and occasionally a "can't load this page" message). Some of the re-directed results seemed to be from Scour (I don't know what Scour is). In researching how to get rid the the virus, I found postings which recommended MAM. MAM found infected objects which VISS did not. MAM found Trojan.Zlob in 3 registry keys. So, I terminated VISS and bought two MAM licenses. Here is an excerpt from my post in the Verizon FIOS forum explaining what I did:

"I noticed in my Applications Data folder a few things which I did not recognize or remember as having been there before. So I deleted them. Upon starting up Windows XP SP3, I received error messages to the effect that rundll was looking for itehenuhe.dll and dedprv.dll. I searched for them in Google and found zero. That made me really suspicious; a legitimate driver would have come up in a Google search. I searched the registry and found:

HKEY_USERS\ [my user ID] \Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run:

Name: Ifugiwo

rundll32.exe "C:\Documents and Settings\ [my user name]\Local Settings\Application Data\dedprv.dll",Startup

Name: Tqedawumifora

rundll32.exe "C:\Documents and Settings\ [my user name] \Local Settings\Application Data\itehenuhe.dll",Startup

I searched Google for the two named items and got zero results. I deleted both from the registry. Redirect seems to be minimal but I'm not completely convinced I have eradicated it." *** end of Verizon FIOS post ***

I appreciate your responding and will try whatever you suggest. I also sent my original posting to MAM support. Thanks. Greg

Hello GregGol:

MBAM by no means is a substitute for an AV rather it works alongside. Many forum members are using free version of AV namely (listed in alphabetical order)

1. avast
  2. Avira
  3. MSE

However, you would need to add following exclusions to avoid conflict(s) if any due to real-time protection of MBAM listed below:

• C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\zlib.dll
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.dll
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamext.dll
  • C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\rules.ref
  • C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbam.sys
  • C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbamswissarmy.sys

As a paying customer you did the right thing contacting support, however, you may also follow second last paragraph of my previous post if you wish

Should you have any other question(s) please post back using MXyBj.png button