Antivirus

Comprev

Who wants an AV module in MBAM?  

31 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

It shouldn't have an antivirus. This isn't what malwarebytes' is going for. They classify it as a complementary program and such would cause a lot of confusion and problems among their costumers.

How?

They could just make it a non-complementary program.

@ screen317

If so, then that is okay. Maybe raise the cost for full protection with an antivirus module, with hiring more researchers?

Malwarebytes doesn't need to integrate any antivirus software the way its designed is genus. It already detects & removes known viruses,Trojans,worms,plus it detects & removes adware,spyware,hijackers,rouges,keyloggers,and much much more including infections most AV's can't handle and won't touch

list of malware Malwarebytes detects and removes

http://www.malwarebytes.org/malwarenet.php

Malware- A generic name for all types of malicious programs, The term Malware includes computer viruses, worms, trojan horses, spyware, adware, scareware, crimeware, most rootkits, and other malicious, dishonest or unwanted software or programs

Malwarebytes doesn't need to integrate any antivirus software the way its designed is genus. It already detects & removes known viruses,Trojans,worms,plus it detects & removes adware,spyware,hijackers,rouges,keyloggers,and much much more including infections most AV's can't handle and won't touch

list of malware Malwarebytes detects and removes

http://www.malwarebytes.org/malwarenet.php

Malware- A generic name for all types of malicious programs, The term Malware includes computer viruses, worms, trojan horses, spyware, adware, scareware, crimeware, most rootkits, and other malicious, dishonest or unwanted software or programs

Don't most AM apps detect more than that? Can each detection detect thousands of different types of malware?

We don't get to techinical with names.. A lot of generic malware we call Trojan.Agent... But there could be Tons of files matching tons of defs with that same name. We try to describe more what the malware does and name it that way.

What does Trojan.Agent do? Some are obvious, like Trojan.FakeAlert, and Rogue.AntivirusSuite. By the way, does Koobface have a Trojan?

An old saying

If its not broke, let it be. If it works, thats good. :welcome:

Could not have said it any better myself. Don't mess with something that is working Excellent.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Staff

I believe you'll find most opinions to disagree simply because many who frequent this site believe in a layered approach to computer security, and few here believe that any single product, technology, or group of threat researchers could ever possibly account for, detect and successfully remove every potential threat in existence that might infect a person's PC on any given day.

At least that's how I feel about it, and it's the reason that Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware came into existence to begin with, because there were, and still are, many threats not effectively stopped by antivirus softwares, even though antivirus softwares do generally target the largest number of total infections when compared to other security solutions, like Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware.

Guest remixed
I believe you'll find most opinions to disagree simply because many who frequent this site believe in a layered approach to computer security, and few here believe that any single product, technology, or group of threat researchers could ever possibly account for, detect and successfully remove every potential threat in existence that might infect a person's PC on any given day.

I for one don't understand the need for 'layered' security. The necessity arises due to the shortcomings of the researchers and developers of security companies. Additionally, an increasing number of AV's demand the removal of legitimate third party security software, a 'Trend' :) i predict will become more prevalent.

At least that's how I feel about it, and it's the reason that Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware came into existence to begin with, because there were, and still are, many threats not effectively stopped by antivirus softwares, even though antivirus softwares do generally target the largest number of total infections when compared to other security solutions, like Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware.

I don't want to be cynical but however innovative MBAM is i think that to imply that it's the first business project that wasn't designed primarily to make money is a little naive. That said that if it wasn't good it wouldn't make money ;)

• Staff
I for one don't understand the need for 'layered' security. The necessity arises due to the shortcomings of the researchers and developers of security companies. Additionally, an increasing number of AV's demand the removal of legitimate third party security software, a 'Trend' :) i predict will become more prevalent.
There's simply too many threats and too many attack vectors. It's a matter of simple math. There are more coders writing malware than the number of researchers working at any security software company. All the attacker has to do is target the specific software you happen to be running and bypass its protection, then disable it. If there's only a single layer, you've got a serious problem.
I don't want to be cynical but however innovative MBAM is i think that to imply that it's the first business project that wasn't designed primarily to make money is a little naive. That said that if it wasn't good it wouldn't make money ;)

I didn't imply that it was the first. Tools like SpySweeper, Ad-Aware, Spyware Doctor and countless others came long before MBAM ever showed up, and they created a place in the market by specifically targetting types of malware that the AV vendors were not. MBAM did the same thing, starting largely with rogue security software and expanding from there.

• Staff
Aww man i am disappointed wif the votes come on guys if there is av in malwarebytes that means you dont have to download a anti virus software rite?
It really isn't that easy to say "if there is av in malwarebytes that means you dont have to download a anti virus software rite?" (sic); imagine the personnel required to change MBAM into more than what it is currently
Aww man i am disappointed wif the votes
Why start a poll if you could be disappointed with the votes? :)

Guest remixed
There's simply too many threats and too many attack vectors. It's a matter of simple math. There are more coders writing malware than the number of researchers working at any security software company. All the attacker has to do is target the specific software you happen to be running and bypass its protection, then disable it. If there's only a single layer, you've got a serious problem.

This just explains how it is not how it needs to be. Firstly there is a clear technical weakness in a targetted respose to every piece of malwarecode being written (even if it were true it shouldn't be necessary). 'Exploits' are precisely that, flaws in the software that make it possible for malicious access. It makes sense to produce a range of pharmaceutical antibiotics, each targetting a particular issue/isuues, this cannot be said of computer security for reasons other than profitabilty. It is this that explains the maths.

This just explains how it is not how it needs to be. Firstly there is a clear technical weakness in a targetted respose to every piece of malwarecode being written (even if it were true it shouldn't be necessary). 'Exploits' are precisely that, flaws in the software that make it possible for malicious access. It makes sense to produce a range of pharmaceutical antibiotics, each targetting a particular issue/isuues, this cannot be said of computer security for reasons other than profitabilty. It is this that explains the maths.

You with me on this, remixed?

I can understand your arguments, opponents. If MBAM is made to specifically target malware that most AVs look over, then that is a profitable stance to take, filling in a gap and doing it better than PCTools could ever dream of with Spyware Doctor :) However, if you also want to do this for the good of fighting malware, then making an AV module would help. You could raise the price for complete protection. Maybe version 1.51 can have that?

Consider deeply,

Comprev