Windows Defender

RichardVV

Windows Defender

I have just noticed that Windows Defender is not running its scheduled scan (or showing the icon on the bottom right toolbar). But the program seems to be running and doing its job.

My Question; Does Malawarebytes conflict or interfere with Windows Defender and its settings?

I have been fighting a virus that refused to go away, and I seem to have finally gotten rid of it. So I'm also wondering if it may have damaged defender. (It did seem mess with my update settings).

Thanks for your help.

Sincerely

Richard

ps I did have a version of McFee but got rid of it because of Defender conflicts.

:)

Welcome to Malwarebytes!

I am running Windows Defender on three computers. No problems or issues with Malwarebytes!

EDIT we have over a dozen users running Windows Defender & Malwarebytes, with no problems.

Sometimes I'll have to go to the Portal MS site for downloads, it will be a day or two late: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923159

Make sure you pick the correct download, for XP home (SP3) users 32bit

It would be this one below:

32-bit versions of Windows

To download the Windows Defender definition update file for 32-bit (x86-based) versions of Windows, click the following link:

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=70631

you may want to check your scheduled scan settings? Post back if you still have an issue with it... regards...

:D

Add the below files to Windows Defender. I've had defender conflict with the mbamswissarmy driver and cause the Blue Screen of Death. Which identified in the error mbamswissary had something to do with it. Never had a problem after adding the exclusions.:D

C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe
C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe
C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\zlib.dll
C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.dll
C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamext.dll
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\rules.ref
C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbam.sys
C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbamswissarmy.sys

@ yardbird

I do not run Windows Defender on my XP Pro system.

I too have no Malwarebytes exclusions in WD!...

I do make sure its definitions are updated through its portal:

Latest definition version: 1.93.855.0

Windows Defender definitions

I don't know of any conflicts between Windows Defender & Malwarebytes as Yardbird mention a lot of people run them together (myself included) with no issues try the exclusions Buttons provided you with and see if that solves the problem.

Windows Defender will conflict with some AV's that have anti-spyware components included,some AV's will actually turn it off and disable it to avoid conflicts,so thats a possibility too, what AV are you using?

have you tried to reinstall it - windows xp (its included with Windows Vista + newer

I have been fighting a virus that refused to go away, and I seem to have finally gotten rid of it. So I'm also wondering if it may have damaged defender. (It did seem mess with my update settings).

I just noticed that last statment, thats a real good possibility are you detecting anything? just because the symptoms have subsided doesn't mean your all clear If your detecting a virus that won't go away you should have an expert check it out its free and won't cost you a thing :D

Please read and follow the instructions in I'm infected - What do I do now? Then post a NEW topic here. An Expert will assist you in removal process

ps I did have a version of McFee but got rid of it because of Defender conflicts.

McAfee usually does have trouble playing nice with the other kids :welcome:

Hi!

I just wanted to thank everyone for their responses. I think I do have an on going virus issue, seems to pop up one or twice a week, and my F-secure does find it, but it messes with some of my settings, Updates, Task Scheduler, Defender, as far as I can tell. I also completely removed PC Doctor after trying to install PC Doctor 8 caused problems (file freezing, install freezing etc). I had to use Revo Uninstaller to get rid of it.

If there is a virus or malware hiding on my system Defender, F-Secure, Malawarebytes is not finding it. I am going to wait to the weekend to deal with my Defender issue.

Thanks for all your input and suggestions so far :)

:welcome: Rich

:D

@buttons I've added those files to be excluded from being scan by Windows Defender.

I don't think the problem will go away. I'm also on Micorsoft Support Answers and following their guidence. I'm beginning to think that the problem lies with Task Scheduler (my WD task has disappeared and many tasks had the wrong settings (wrong user names, wrong system etc) and i also found some PC Tools drivers had not been uninstalled, and I have deleted them.

It seems like my "Local Network Communication" may be hanging, freezing or being blocked. Working those out now with Microsoft tech help.

As far as I can tell all Defender updates are installed, checked and their were no updates available.

MalawareBytes Seems to be working fine. Seems the smaller programs and smaller companies are doing a better job.

Thanks, Richard.

:P