My browser kicks your browser's fanny.. :)

ShyWriter

Notice the difference between IE8 and IE9 Beta. Quite an improvement!

I think I read somewhere during today's adventures that IE9 beta 6 is *really* supposed to smoke... Note the graph that beta 1 was the latest tested in the wild.

Don't remember the release date though. Will edit this if I run across the release date again.

~Shy

All these new browser versions should be extremely fast once they become final, especially once all the built in debugging code is removed (that tends to add tons of overhead). Hardware accelleration is going to be awesome as well and I believe most if not all of the new browser versions will support it in one form or another (HTML5 etc) :).

IE9 beta is not reccomended by McAfee (that I know for sure) and some other A/V companies (that I am checking) -

They are not up to it yet - After a week on their forum (a bit slow to get any answers) you find lots of bits like this -

My poor ORCA did not even rate - :angry:

EDIT -

Love that graphic below Shy -

All these new browser versions should be extremely fast once they become final, especially once all the built in debugging code is removed (that tends to add tons of overhead). Hardware accelleration is going to be awesome as well and I believe most if not all of the new browser versions will support it in one form or another (HTML5 etc) :angry:.

Firefox 4.0 (when delivered next year/1st quarter) is supposed to manage graphics THREE times faster.. Can't wait. :angry:

dzx9o.gif

~Steve

I have been using Firefox 4 beta 6 for a while now and I am sure the fully fledged Firefox 4 will be excellent. In the 'Web User' magazine,there is an expose` about the new Firefox4 which has a feature called Panorama which enables multi-tab usage,it basically enables you to group tabs into sections,a bit like having bookmarks in bookmarks.

There is also a new JavaScript engine called JaegerMonkey,although fast and powerful,it still lacks the punch of Google Chrome 7.

Firefox 4 also supports Direct2D hardware acceleration which means it can send some of the page rendering chores to your Graphics Processor as opposed to your computer's processor. So,sites with high graphic content will load and be displayed much quicker but this is reliant on the quality of your graphics card and the user running Windows7 or Vista, XP users will get the same effects but at a reduced rate.

data from WebUser Magazine issue 251.

It all depends on testing method

IE9, FF4 Beta In Real-World Benchmark

By Ben Dilts | Published: September 16, 2010

Most browser benchmarks are isolated, artificial tests that can be gamed by browser vendors optimizing those specific cases. With only those benchmarks to go on, we were skeptical that IE9?s beta would actually outperform other modern browsers in real-world applications.

Real-World Benchmark

post-100-1288447892_thumb.png

It all depends on testing method [...]

Ken; how much of that rendering speed was CPU and how much the Browser software?

EDIT: I don't understand the "between frames" timing.. What does that refer to?

~Steve

Edited by ShyWriter

Ken; how much of that rendering speed was CPU and how much the Browser software?

~Steve

You will have to read the Testing Methods.

I believe "Between Frames" timing is between pages.

I have been using Firefox 4 beta 6 for a while now and I am sure the fully fledged Firefox 4 will be excellent. In the 'Web User' magazine,there is an expose` about the new Firefox4 which has a feature called Panorama which enables multi-tab usage,it basically enables you to group tabs into sections,a bit like having bookmarks in bookmarks.[...]

There's a nice little Firefox extension called ScreenHunter_07Oct301807.gif that does the same grouping of bookmarks for us older Firefox version users. Good up thru 4.02pre .

The Speed Dial Screen Snap above is a hot link to that Firefox extension on Mozzila.Org - It's safe and virus-free.

The bookmark/grouping concept is a rather neat idea.. :)

~Shy

Edited by ShyWriter

I'm using Google Chrome v7.0.517.43 on my XP Pro system and really liking it.

I have AdBlock, FastestChrome - Browse Faster (FastestFox for Chrome) extensions and Star Gazer Theme.

Will now look at Speed Dial

Edit: Speed Dial is very good.

The Spell-Checker is an added bonus as I had to use ieSpell Internet Explorer browser extension. :)

Edited by YoKenny1

I'm going to make a Firefox fan out of you yet Arthur.. Just give me a couple of years. :)

Not possible. They have extensions.

BTW: About 7 or 8 years ago, one of my favorite pastimes was making Firefox fanboys cry. Just thought you should know that. :)

What did they do?

They are adding extensions to Opera 11. I consider this to be a major security vulnerability, and will not be upgrading beyond 10.70... :)

Not possible. They have extensions.

BTW: About 7 or 8 years ago, one of my favorite pastimes was making Firefox fanboys cry. Just thought you should know that. :)

They are adding extensions to Opera 11. I consider this to be a major security vulnerability, and will not be upgrading beyond 10.70... :)

Firefox uses extensions, do you recommend them? Or is this different?

Do you have to use/enable the extensions though, GT?

Whenever an extension installs in IE it always turns them on. Granted Opera's implementation is probably more secure, but what's to stop it from being abused? Mozilla hasn't been able to do it, and they've been doing extensions for more than 8 years.

I know that a lot of security experts like Firefox, and use extensions, but I consider the mere presence of the feature to be a huge security vulnerability.

Firefox uses extensions, do you recommend them? Or is this different?

How shall I answer this...

I guess I should just mention that I hate Gecko. It disgusts me. I can't stand to use any browser that lays out webpages with Gecko, whether it be made by Mozilla or some third party. That's just a personal disposition though, and not related to security.

Thanks for the clarification!

So basically the issue at hand here is that once an extension is installed it is always turned on, and you can't disable it at will or??

I see. Thanks for the info. What browsers would you recommend then?

Opera 10.63 and Opera 10.70 (which will never make it out of weekly builds, due to the shift to Opera 11 and extensions). There's only one other browser that doesn't have extensions (and doesn't use Gecko, but that's probably not a prerequisite for the rest of you). It's called Arora, and it's not very actively developed (not many features), so I don't use it.

So basically the issue at hand here is that once an extension is installed it is always turned on, and you can't disable it at will or??

No, you can turn extensions off any time you want. The problem is that as soon as something installs an extension, they have been turned back on. Opera used to be mostly immune to this sort of hijacking (UserJS and UserCSS were mildly exploitable, although not from within the browser), but now it will be just as vulnerable as the others.