AOL Email Screwed Up - HELP

deebeee

:angry: When I try and read my new emails, all I see is a blue bar at the top of the page followed by symbols for emails on the left, but there is NO name/subject/date on any new or old emails. I can't search either for a particular email.

I checked with AOL's "help" page -- OMG, they give you this incredibly long, convoluted way to clear and restore your PDF Files (what's a PDF?).

Does anyone know a fast way to get my email back to normal. Do I have to do a RESTORE. Hate doing those.

Thanks a lot :angry:

Hi deebeee -

Is this just some AOL mail thing , or other , and is it linked to Outlook Express mail -

Now you know why I mainly use my Yahoo mail now - :)

Thanks -

EDIT -

Is there anything on This Page that may help you at all -

Hi No just AOL -- never heard of Outlook Express mail. I really don't like Yahoo - they screw things up big time. Any advice? Tx.

Hi No just AOL -- never heard of Outlook Express mail. I really don't like Yahoo - they screw things up big time. Any advice? Tx.

Hi,

I checked your link -- I'd done that before and when you click on "can't read name/subject/date", the process they want you to go through is beyond long and confusing:

1) Restart computer (easy)

2) Compact and then restore the PFC File (OMG, this is complicated)

3) Run Quick Restore

4) Uninstall and then reinstall AOL Software (sounds like you could screw up on this big time)

I'll try it -- God help me :)

denise

Hi deebee -

Only one of these items is a link - The blue one in post #2 under the EDIT -

I only underlined the Outlook Express item as I was explaining that it was the basic M/soft installed mail item -

Follow around the "blue link" as that one has items in it to solve AOL mail problems -

Thanks -

http://help.aol.com/help/microsites/micros...xternalId=10106 <----- Try this it looks reasonably simple

Hi deebee -

Only one of these items is a link - The blue one in post #2 under the EDIT -

I only underlined the Outlook Express item as I was explaining that it was the basic M/soft installed mail item -

Follow around the "blue link" as that one has items in it to solve AOL mail problems -

Thanks -

http://help.aol.com/help/microsites/micros...xternalId=10106 <----- Try this it looks reasonably simple

Hi you're very kind to try and help -- I did what the instx's said and clicked reset on all my mail settings -- not a thing changed. I am either going to dump AOL and go to gmail or bite the bullet and pay them (at least for a month or two) for AOL service so I can get ADVICE. It's hopeless trying on my own -- thanks again.

Hi deebee

My wife uses AOL version 9.5 With an anti-Virus program & the Pro version of Malwarebytes, whats the version you have? And there has been some Critical patches & updates for AOL this past month... did you install those. I'll put a screenshot of her mailbox below. Let us know if your does/does not look like hers? One thing about AOL is she has free telephone support. as a last resort regards..

Hi deebee

My wife uses AOL version 9.5 With an anti-Virus program & the Pro version of Malwarebytes, whats the version you have? And there has been some Critical patches & updates for AOL this past month... did you install those. I'll put a screenshot of her mailbox below. Let us know if your does/does not look like hers? One thing about AOL is she has free telephone support. as a last resort regards..

I have AOL 9.0 - was not aware of any critical patches and updates. Can check that out.

I'm a non paying customer, and therefore, I do not have access to ANY AOL help -- not telephone, not on line. Only through community forums -- nada yet from them.

How did you insert a screen shot here? There is no URL on this.

Thanks

denise

post='335891']

Hi you're very kind to try and help -- I did what the instx's said and clicked reset on all my mail settings -- not a thing changed. I am either going to dump AOL and go to gmail or bite the bullet and pay them (at least for a month or two) for AOL service so I can get ADVICE. It's hopeless trying on my own -- thanks again.

post-25407-1288344797_thumb.jpg

Weird as the old messages are showing up normally, hope this comes through.

post='335891']

post-25407-1288344797_thumb.jpg

Weird as the old messages are showing up normally, hope this comes through.

Here is how my "old" messages appear -- I can't fathom why the new ones are coming up as they are (blue bar at top and no names/subjects/dates)???

post-25407-1288345125_thumb.jpg

My wife is up, and will try to help as she is an AOL user, Are you talking about the bright blue bar over her Mail Window? Or the Light Blue Bar that always at the top of the screen?

If its the Light Blue bar (the toolbar) its possible that when you closed your mail, theres a heart very close to the X. and you may have hit add to toolbar instead of closing out the mailbox - and it would have gone away. Possible Fix go up to toolbar - rt. click on mail in the toolbar and you have choices. go for remove from toolbar, if it asks you where to put it save on desktop (my pc) and download it into the bar. she said she is appx. right. she is not sure because your not clear on which blue bar and she does not see a Mail icon on either Blue bar. back up data, and go to manage mail, make sure its not blocked. She said to send you this pic. Also you may want to upgrade to AOL 9.5.

Hope you understand this, I'm just typing what she is saying.... regards.

quote name='yardbird' date='Oct 29 2010, 07:49 AM' post='335963']

My wife is up, and will try to help as she is an AOL user, Are you talking about the bright blue bar over her Mail Window? Or the Light Blue Bar that always at the top of the screen?

If its the Light Blue bar (the toolbar) its possible that when you closed your mail, theres a heart very close to the X. and you may have hit add to toolbar instead of closing out the mailbox - and it would have gone away. Possible Fix go up to toolbar - rt. click on mail in the toolbar and you have choices. go for remove from toolbar, if it asks you where to put it save on desktop (my pc) and download it into the bar. she said she is appx. right. she is not sure because your not clear on which blue bar and she does not see a Mail icon on either Blue bar. back up data, and go to manage mail, make sure its not blocked. She said to send you this pic. Also you may want to upgrade to AOL 9.5.

No, neither blue bar -- Here's another screen shot of what I mean: Use the enlarge function and it will be very clear that the blue bar is where subject/name/date should be for a new email followed by a totally blank page where new emails should be.

You'll this page should have new emails, but is blank except for the stupid blue bar at the top. No email has a subject/name/date. I want to return this to the normal viewing. I tried to do a restore on Mail Settings (under the toolbox "Mail"), but it told me I had to do this offline. Now how you do something for AOL offline, beats me. If your wife can figure this out, great, but tell her I may just have fork out the dough for monthly paid AOL.

Thanks for trying.

denise

post-25407-1288360416_thumb.jpg

quote name='yardbird' date='Oct 29 2010, 07:49 AM' post='335963']

No, neither blue bar -- Here's another screen shot of what I mean: Use the enlarge function and it will be very clear that the blue bar is where subject/name/date should be for a new email followed by a totally blank page where new emails should be.

You'll this page should have new emails, but is blank except for the stupid blue bar at the top. No email has a subject/name/date. I want to return this to the normal viewing. I tried to do a restore on Mail Settings (under the toolbox "Mail"), but it told me I had to do this offline. Now how you do something for AOL offline, beats me. If your wife can figure this out, great, but tell her I may just have fork out the dough for monthly paid AOL.

Thanks for trying.

denise

In the black bar over the screen shot to the right is "click to view full image" -- do that and it will be much clearer. Tx.

America OnLine 9.0 Opitimized SE provided by Dell she see's top left and she has a Dell PC but never had that logo on here AOL? She's been an AOL user since Windows 95. AOL CD's are at the post office. Did yours come with your Dell? Is there a chance you can contact Dell and run the service tag past them. Or check your tag invoice. Maybe you put in a copy of Dell's AOL?

2nd the 1st. thing that AOL will say or ask you is to upgrade to 9.5... I'll guess there was a 9.1 or 9.3 in btw. because I did the install for my wife.

You need to find out who to contact, AOL or DELL. If its AOL then 1 months support is $9.95 On any Dell you will see: " you will receive 6 months of AOL membership" My wife said don't install that, use a AOL disk only". and me, I'm sorry, I never used AOL... maybe you will get another reply today?

Her AOL info (ALL her INFO) is stored on AOL's server! When I did a total format of the Hard-Drive. I called AOL to ask what files do I save & how to save her mail?

There reply was nothing! We have her account on our server. right down to the last email. regards....

America OnLine 9.0 Opitimized SE provided by Dell she see's top left and she has a Dell PC but never had that logo on here AOL? She's been an AOL user since Windows 95. AOL CD's are at the post office. Did yours come with your Dell? Is there a chance you can contact Dell and run the service tag past them. Or check your tag invoice. Maybe you put in a copy of Dell's AOL?

2nd the 1st. thing that AOL will say or ask you is to upgrade to 9.5... I'll guess there was a 9.1 or 9.3 in btw. because I did the install for my wife.

You need to find out who to contact, AOL or DELL. If its AOL then 1 months support is $9.95 On any Dell you will see: " you will receive 6 months of AOL membership" My wife said don't install that, use a AOL disk only". and me, I'm sorry, I never used AOL... maybe you will get another reply today?

Her AOL info (ALL her INFO) is stored on AOL's server! When I did a total format of the Hard-Drive. I called AOL to ask what files do I save & how to save her mail?

There reply was nothing! We have her account on our server. right down to the last email. regards....

Hmm, I'm a bit confused -- what do you mean by "she see's top left and she has a Dell PC but never had that logo on here AOL?" Her mail screen shot is exactly like mine in terms of logo -- puzzled by what you mean.

I've had this computer for 6 years and AOL came with it, but it's been fine all this time. I may have to do the "restore" function and see if that works -- just a pain as you need to back things up.

One last question -- does your wife pay monthly for her AOL? If you don't and get it free, they will charge you for a tech session. I may just spring for that at this point.

Thank you for trying, it's a big morass isn't it. Cheers! :)

She see's on your at the top left of your Post 14 America OnLine 9.0 Opitimized SE provided by Dell She never had that? Maybe thats why when her Dell arrived she said to me Get rid of the AOL that was in the software from Dell... It may be nothing? But its not on her screen, as I'm looking at it now.

When we moved here we got high speed and she had free AOL tech support. But she said we don't have to pay the monthly fee. She dropped it 2 years ago. And has no problems with her AOL Mail or Browser. Its something in your settings she said. But since she was never tech support. She does not know how to fix your problem. She would have to be sitting at your computer... know what I mean?

She has gotton so good at AOL. She has never needed tech support. so far!

and yes, they they will charge you for a tech session. she did say,

1. All Dell updates are current & installed. you can go to Dell Support, enter your service tag, and you will see if you have updates from Dell

2. All Microsoft updates, hotfixes, patches, SP3, is installed & up to date every 2nd tuesday of each month.

She's sorry she can't help you from here, she's never been on a tech support forum on the "how to fix it" side. I never use her AOL so that 2 strikes. I was hoping someone else on the forum had an idea for you. Good luck deebeee

She see's on your at the top left of your Post 14 America OnLine 9.0 Opitimized SE provided by Dell She never had that? Maybe thats why when her Dell arrived she said to me Get rid of the AOL that was in the software from Dell... It may be nothing? But its not on her screen, as I'm looking at it now.

When we moved here we got high speed and she had free AOL tech support. But she said we don't have to pay the monthly fee. She dropped it 2 years ago. And has no problems with her AOL Mail or Browser. Its something in your settings she said. But since she was never tech support. She does not know how to fix your problem. She would have to be sitting at your computer... know what I mean?

She has gotton so good at AOL. She has never needed tech support. so far!

and yes, they they will charge you for a tech session. she did say,

1. All Dell updates are current & installed. you can go to Dell Support, enter your service tag, and you will see if you have updates from Dell

2. All Microsoft updates, hotfixes, patches, SP3, is installed & up to date every 2nd tuesday of each month.

Hi,

No problem. I found I can get tech support (chat) for only $4.95/month -- I signed on and will probably sign off after this is fixed. I got all the instructions re PC File Cabinet -- how to back up, compact it, restore, etc. I'm EXHAUSTED, but definitely worth $5 to get help on this.

You've been very kind, ditto your wife. Great that she never needs tech support. I'm not in that category. :) I'll post here when I get this straightened out. Going to sleep now. Will tackle tomorrow. Again thanks :)

Hi,

No problem. I found that I can get tech support (chat version) for only $4.95/month -- I signed on and will probably then sign off after this is fixed. I got all the instructions re the PC File Cabinet -- how to back it up, compact it, restore it, etc. I'm EXHAUSTED, but it's definitely worth $5 to get someone to help on this.

You've been very kind, ditto your wife. Please thank her for me. I'll post here when I get this straightened out. Going to sleep now. Will tackle tomorrow. Again thanks

Good luck! Glad you found a chat forum.... best regards! :)