Help with SmartWebPrintingOC

Hello Everyone,

I hope you can help.

I installed an HP Printer a while back and when I went to uninstall it, I started getting a box popping up every time I open an explorer window. The box is called SmartWebPrintingOC and there is a status bar and a cancel button. When i hit cancel, one or two more pop up and when I hit cancel on those, the folder finally opens. Man, it's annoying!

I have tried everything I know how to do. I uninstalled the printer and SmartWebPrintingOC from 'add/remove programs,' I ran a full system scan with Malwarebytes, I searched for 'HP' and 'Smartwebprinting' but I just can't find anything else to delete! I installed Revo uninstaller, but i'm not sure if it can help.

Has anyone encountered this? What can I do? I'm running Windows XP Media Center Edition with SP 3, if that makes a difference.

Thank you in advance,

Paul

Haider - I deleted the files in C:\WINDOWS\Temp, but i am still getting the pop up when I open a folder. By the way, thank you for the nice welcome.

AdvancedSetup - I installed the Fix it program and let it run it's course, but all it told me was that I didn't have a printer currently installed and it could help me install one.

Thank you both for your suggestions. Any more ideas?

Exile360 - I downloaded the uninstaller, ran all four levels, and restarted, but the box is still showing up. Thanks for the suggestion. It seems like that should have worked!

I noticed a couple more things: Before the box says 'SmartWebPrintingOC,' it flashes something like 'Windows Installer.' I also noticed that the box pops up when I open Internet Explorer as well as any folder.

Thanks for your help, guys. Any other ideas?

Hi, Paulneedshelp:

HPSmartWebPrinting is a newish part of the HP printer "bloatware" that installs plug-ins for browsers (both IE and FF) -- it's supposed to be some "cloud" computing/printing thing. :lol:

It was added to their printer software drivers somewhere along the way when HP published win7-compatible drivers for their devices.

I never use it, so I have it disabled in both IE and FF, but -- to be honest -- I haven't tried to uninstall it.

I think what you're saying when you say you "...open an explorer window" is that you are opening an INTERNET EXPLORER window?

Perhaps there are traces of it left in your browser profiles?

Have you looked in you browsers (FF: tools > add-ons, and IE: tools > manage add-ons) to see if there are traces there that can be uninstalled or disabled?

Perhaps one needs full administrator privileges to do so (as is the case when uninstalling Java Console plug-ins for FF, for example)?

I'm just a home user, and the real experts here are giving much better high-tech advice, but the only thing I can think of is to try to submit a tech support ticket to HP, or to post to their forums (it may take a while to get a reply -- they aren't the world's best....) http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Web-Printing/bd-p/Webprint

The phone number I have on file for North American support is 1-888-447-0172, and select the "Photosmart" option; they may try to charge you for the call, but they do seem to know what they are doing.

My HP all-in-one is 5 years old, and I will likely be switching brands when it's time to replace it, so....

It's really scary & infuriating to think that the HP software uninstaller won't remove it!!! :)

HTH,

daledoc1

• Root Admin

Please run the following two programs and post back the logs.

Create an Autoruns Log:

• Please download Sysinternals Autoruns from here.
  • Save Autoruns.exe to your desktop and double-click it to run it.
  • Once it starts, please press the Esc key on your keyboard.
  • Now that scanning is stopped, click on the Options button at the top of the program and select Verify Code Signatures
  • Once that's done press the F5 key on your keyboard, this will start the scan again, this time let it finish.
  • When it's finished, please click on the File button at the top of the program and select Save and save the Autoruns.arn file to your desktop and close Autoruns.
  • Right click on the Autoruns.arn file on your desktop and hover your mouse over Send To and select Compressed (zipped) Folder
  • Attach the Autoruns.zip folder you just created to your next reply

Download
DDS
and save it to your desktop

Disable any script blocker if your Anti-Virus/Anti-Malware has it.

Once downloaded you can disconnect from the Internet and disable your Ant-Virus temporarily if needed.

Then double click
dds.scr
to run the tool.

When done, the
DDS.txt
will open.

Click Yes at the next prompt for Optional Scan.

When done, DDS will open two (2) logs:

1. DDS.txt

2. Attach.txt

• Save both reports to your desktop

• Please include the following logs in your next reply:
    DDS.txt
    and
    Attach.txt

Alright! I seem to have found a way to stop the pop-ups. I kind of did the opposite of what I set out to do, which was delete all the HP stuff.

I went here: http://www.hp.com/global/us/en/consumer/di...b-printing.html and downloaded the actual Smart Web Printing software. Apparently that stopped the error. I don't plan on ever using the program and i know it's kind of a backwards way of getting to the problem, but at least it stopped those terribly annoying pop-ups.

Daledoc1 - Thanks for explaining that. I did actually mean ANY window I tried to open. For example, if I double click the My Computer icon, the box would pop up.

Thank you for your help, everyone!