MBAM vs Kaspersky

MBAM can't possibly be causing Kaspersky's scan to freeze since it has no file system driver loaded into memory, even with protection running, it only monitors memory (this is one of the ways it avoids conflicts with AV's). That's just standard procedure at the KL forums, they always want to eliminate any variables such as other security softwares that might be installed to track down a problem. If you really want to test for certain whether MBAM is the cause, just uninstall it and reboot, no drivers will be loaded. If you have the free version of MBAM and not the paid version you don't even need to uninstall it because when it isn't running it has exactly 0 drivers loaded ;) .

Since my friend just got infected with the rogue antivir and Norton did not detect either when he got infected or on a later scan, I decided I am going to run MBAM or SAS Pro along with my AV/suite. If my favorite AV won't run with them I will switch to another which will do so.

Years ago I had a similar experience with Bit Defender, and they wanted me to remove all other security software. I ditched BD forever.

Regards,

Jerry

Hi JerryM -

If the quick scan will not fully remove it then, (as usual) update first, and run a full scan -

It may take about 1 hour for a full scan (depending on your system) but I find it is worth doing it every so often -

Always check our FAQ area if you have other minor problems with scans - The link is posted below -

http://www.malwarebytes.org/forums/index.p...ost&p=49525

Thank You - ^_^

Hi JerryM -

If the quick scan will not fully remove it then, (as usual) update first, and run a full scan -

It may take about 1 hour for a full scan (depending on your system) but I find it is worth doing it every so often -

Always check our FAQ area if you have other minor problems with scans - The link is posted below -

Thank You - :)

Thanks, and I always update before scanning, and do a complete scan ever few weeks. I do a quick scan every week with all my anti malware/AV applications.

So tomorrow we go to MBAM to rid his computer of antivir rogue.

Regards,

Jerry

I had a problem with Kaspersky flagging mbam everytime a new version was released. It always said installing driver in a hidden way even after I added it to exceptions. Now that i've switched to Avira no problems with new versions.

Thanks, and I always update before scanning, and do a complete scan ever few weeks. I do a quick scan every week with all my anti malware/AV applications.

So tomorrow we go to MBAM to rid his computer of antivir rogue.

Regards,

Jerry

Hi JerryM -

Thank You - :)

Hi noknojon

This morning I went to my friend's house and took a CD with MBAM on it. We installed it and ran a quick scan without updating, and removed the antivir rogue.

I advised him to update and run a complete scan.

We also ran a-squared after removal by MBAM and it found the computer clean.

Thanks for the help, and a great anti-malware application.

Regards,

Jerry

• 7 years later...

FWIW, I run both Kaspersky V17.x and MBAM and my old XP Pro SP3 seems to be humming along without any problems that I can see... and the 2 programs seem to get along with each other without any fights or complaints... I'd be happy to upgrade to a later windows program... but I have so many programs installed and I haven't yet found any way to "port them all over" to a later windows program. So... if and until there's some way to upgrade my windows and still keep all my installed programs, I guess I'll have to stick with my XP Pro SP3 and hope that Kaspersky and MBAM are doing the job for me. So far they seem to play nice with each other and when I tried to install some MickySoft updates they didn't like my Explorer V8.0.6001.18702 and I got the Updates Failed error when I tried to install a couple of "updates" that Microsoft had.

Nat... stuck in the Junk Yard area of Micksoft Updates... but seemingly still protected with Kaspersky and Malwarebytes... (I hope...)

OH, and I'm still running V2.x of MBAM as when I tried to "update" to V3 some many moons ago, it froze my system up something awfully and somehow I managed to uninstall V3 (I think that's what it was) and I had to keep V2.... and I'm just grateful that MalwareBytes is still putting out updates for V2. :-O

Edited by NathanielA
Needed to put out more info...