So Confused

I need help! My computer was recently infected with some malware. I had to take it to someone to get rid of it. It was a pop-up that kept telling me my system was infected, and that all sorts of bad things were about to happen. It would actually shut my computer down. I currently have Norton 360, and was disappointed that it did not intervene, but I know that no product can be 100% effective. But the computer technician tells me that I should install AVIRA instead, bacause it's good and free. He also told me to install Malwarebytes. I know I would need to uninstall Norton first. As I was clearing off my desktop, tonight, I noticed the Malware bytes icon and evidently I already have it. So, I know I have Norton 360 (my subscription is good for another 30 days) and I THINK I have Malwarebytes. But why wouldn't the guy who fixed my computer have known that? I used to have McAfee and I'm not even sure that IT has been uninstalled. I'm confused because I can't detremine exactly what I have, and what I need to have! I would appreciate anyone's help.

Click on the 'Start' button, and open the "Control Panel". If you are on Windows XP, then you will want to open "Add/Remove Programs", and if you are on Windows Vista or Windows 7 then you will want to click "Uninstall a Program". You will then be presented with a list of the programs on your computer (it can take a minute or two for this list to pop up). Just scroll through there to see what programs are installed (just be careful not to remove something if you don't know what it is).

what I need to have! I would appreciate anyone's help.

Since your Norton360 subscription will expire soon, I'd suggest to look for one of the following free AVs listed in alphabetical order that most of our forum member use

1. avast
  2. Avira
  3. MSE

You also need firewall, plus if you can go Full/PRO version of MBAM for lifetime license (one license per system) that includes all updates + upgrades + priority customer support, should be good to start with

Should you have any other question(s) please post back using MXyBj.png button

Hi -

If the program is not in Add/Remove or Uninstall , then -->RA Products Uninstallers <-- Have removers listed for most Antivirus programs -

You scroll down the list and see if you find any that may be left on your system and follow the directions -

All are good removers (includes some toolbars that may need removal also) - I always check there after I change my Antivirus or Anti malware programs -

Norton Remover<--- (Note: Removes all Norton products). Also --->McAfee remover -

Thank You -

Thanks, everyone! I downloaded AVAST with no problems. I already had Malwarebytes, but I did do a quick scan and no fixes were needed. I feel much better.

One more question: If the purchased MBAM product provides better security, and is only 25.00, why wouldn't everyone use that one?